Membership, Protecting HTML Files, not pages.

Hi, I have a pop-up plugin that pops up HTML files with links to other html files. I would like to protect some these files or links... These are not pages, so I am trying to figure out the best way to block unpaid access to these files.
Thanks

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @george_douglas,
    If your files are located in the same folder as your media uploads then you can use the Downloads/Media protection of the Membership plugin.
    To set them you can go to Membership => Options => Downloads/Media

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Geo
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I tried that and ran into a few probs. -- the default folder on that Downloads/Media page is a folder that does not exist on multisite. Eg. domain.com/subsite/files --- when I did create this location I got a forbidden error. Is there a way to change the protected folder location?

• Geo

I have just found other threads on the issue of the upload location---it looks like something I'd like to stay away from (eg. changing wp-config file) -- That said, is there a way to protect the links or files with shortcode?
    Thanks

• aristath
    • Recruit

is there a way to protect the links or files with shortcode?

You can use the shortcodes that each access level provides to limit access on parts of your text...
    You can find more details about the access level shortcodes on the access levels themselves.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Geo

Thanks Ari, but that is not working -- I believe the shortcodes only work on pages, but they are not working in files, unless I am doing something wrong. I put the shortcode in a blank html file and uploaded it to the server, when I click on it, I just see the shortcode written out.

• Geo

I think this is happening because the files I am uploading are technically not part of wordpress. I am doing it with a simple text editor -- creating some links and images, then switching the .txt to .html and uploading it to my server.

• Geo

Okay, I figured out a different way around. The best way to do this is to create the pages on a blank template within your own theme. I found no other way to protect regular html files. Once they are pages, they are easy to protect. please close

• aristath
    • Recruit

@george_douglas
    When I said you should use the shortcodes, I meant that you should use them on your pages in WordPress! The link to your HTML files is in a WordPress page right? You should use it like this:
    [shortcode]
    link here
    [/shortcode]

This way the link will only be displayed to users that have access to your content. All other users will not be able to see the link to that HTML file, and therefore they will not be able to see it since they will not know its URL!

I hope that clarifies my previous post...

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.