Membership Questions

I have several questions about Membership:

Why does my [subscriptionform] page look like this (see Screenshot3)?

Your documentation on this plugin is horrible (no offense). Can you please explain how the "Membership levels" works when entering a subscription? Based on the text "These are the levels that are part of this subscription and the order a user will travel through them", I assumed you were supposed to add the current level in addition the lesser levels. But when I did that I got multiple "Subscribe" buttons on an individual subscription option on my sign-up process. I can't seem to duplicate it, but I also had a problem where I would open up [accountform] it would list all subscription levels, but there was no upgrade ability for higher levels. The reason I can't duplicate it is because now when I log in it doesn't even show all of the options so there is no way a person can upgrade. Finally, something weird is happening when I go to "All Members". Under the Membership Level column several members list multiple subscriptions…and one of the people has one of the subscription levels listed twice (Free Membership, Free Membership), while under the Subscription column that same user has (Free Subscription, Gold Subscription).

Why can't I change the membership level for my primary admin account? I can give full access to other users, but I'm stuck at a bare minimum access level for my admin.

Is there no built-in functionality for a person to logout? This is just regular WP, not BP, and I've used your login redirect plugin to send people to a page other than the Dashboard. I think the dashboard is just confusing to people (because there is no obvious way for them to get to the actual site after logging in), so having them logout through the dashboard isn't an option. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

• 1oclock
    • Flash Drive

Quick Update: I think the reason I could no longer see the upgrade options is because I neglected to add [renewform] to my page. However, when I add that I now get an error stating:

You are currently on the subscription : Free Subscription

Your membership is set to automatically renew

Fatal error: Call to a member function display_cancel_button() on a non-object in

*************************wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/includes/renew.form.php on line 107

(the asterisks are just me obscuring my website path)

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings 1oclock,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

You are currently on the subscription : Free Subscription

Your membership is set to automatically renew

Fatal error: Call to a member function display_cancel_button() on a non-object in

*************************wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/includes/renew.form.php on line 107

I have tested this out in our development environment and I cannot replicate the issue. I’ll see if I can get the lead developer in here to assist / give you some advice to resolve this error.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• 1oclock
    • Flash Drive

I should note that I figured out the membership levels and the error you’ve replied about only seems to happen to my primary admin ID on the site. All of the others display fine. So the questions I have remaining are:

1) Why does my [subscriptionform] look at jacked up (Screenshot #3 from original post)?

2) Why can’t I change membership level for my primary admin ID on the site?

3) How can a person logout without going to the dashboard?

Thanks.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Why does my [subscriptionform] look at jacked up (Screenshot #3 from original post)?

It’s probably something to do with the styling of your theme – what theme is it?

Why can’t I change membership level for my primary admin ID on the site?

The membership plugin isn’t running (protecting any content) when you are logged in as a membership admin user (which the admin user is) to prevent you from assigning levels and subscriptions to the admin user and locking yourself out of your own site. Because the membership plugin isn’t running when you are logged in as a membership admin user, it disables the interface that allows you to add levels and subscriptions to the membership admin user, as it would be pointless for it to allow you to do it for the reason I gave initially.

How can a person logout without going to the dashboard?

I assume you mean from the front end of the site? WordPress provides a Meta widget as standard that has the logout link on it, have you tried adding this to your theme?

• 1oclock
    • Flash Drive

The theme is from ThemeFuse. It’s called Clean, Classy Corporate. I’ve tried multiple page templates thinking it might have to do with the sizing of the page, but all of them have the same result. If this can’t be rectified then the entire plugin is worthless for me.

I’m not clear on your explanation for being able to change the membership level for my primary admin ID. In my case my primary admin ID got signed up for a basic membership. Because of the error I get when I attempt to view that [accountform] I can’t even pay myself to upgrade it. Are you saying that I’m stuck at that membership level? That every time I want to preview something on my site that is protected I will need to go through the highly obnoxious process of logging out as my primary ID and then logging in with a completely different ID that happens to have more privileges? Surely there must be some way to rectify this.

As for the Meta widget, it isn’t customizable and it includes a bunch of stuff I don’t want (there is no way to get JUST the logout button. I’m assuming that the fact that you only mentioned this option was indicating that the plugin does NOT have any kind of a logout function outside of forcing the member to go to the WP dashboard and logout from there. Correct?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

The theme is from ThemeFuse. It’s called Clean, Classy Corporate. I’ve tried multiple page templates thinking it might have to do with the sizing of the page, but all of them have the same result. If this can’t be rectified then the entire plugin is worthless for me.

Any chance of sending a copy through so we can take a look? What does the form look like with the Twenty Ten theme? It’s a simple matter of editing the CSS of the theme to move some of the fields around, it really isn’t a huge issue and simple to fix.

That every time I want to preview something on my site that is protected I will need to go through the highly obnoxious process of logging out as my primary ID and then logging in with a completely different ID that happens to have more privileges? Surely there must be some way to rectify this.

I use two browsers, one logged in as a membership admin user and one as my test user.

As for the Meta widget, it isn’t customizable and it includes a bunch of stuff I don’t want (there is no way to get JUST the logout button.

http://www.google.com/webhp?q=add%20a%20logout%20link%20to%20my%20wordpress%20theme

http://www.google.com/webhp?q=logout%20widget%20wordpress

I’m assuming that the fact that you only mentioned this option was indicating that the plugin does NOT have any kind of a logout function outside of forcing the member to go to the WP dashboard and logout from there.

The plugin is designed to protect your content, not provide a login and logout facility. This is because the login and logout looks and styles are as different as the number of themes available for WordPress, and there are a lot of plugins and tutorials online (see links above) that will let you put a logout link on your theme exactly where you want it and to have it look exactly how you want it to look.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I attached it to a response in this thread. I am happy to send it to an email address if you will provide one.

The only attachment I see on this thread is the screenshot in the first message I’m afraid.

You can pop it to contact at incsub dot com and mark it for my attention if pos.

Thanks.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi, got your theme – now do you want to let me know how you would like your registration form to look?

I see the Register button is over on the right hand side and it should be underneath, but is there anything else?

Also, repeatedly bumping your posts doesn’t make us work any faster your know :slight_smile:

• 1oclock
    • Flash Drive

I don’t have a particular look in mind. I just want everything lined up properly. I think specific design requests would be unwarranted in this type of a support environment, but asking that it be coded so that it will at least line up fields with their respective titles isn’t asking too much.

And I don’t know that I would consider a nicely worded “Any update on this?” to be “repeatedly bumping”…especially when I wait a day without a response before posting that. :slight_smile:

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi 1oclock,

Glad that worked for you, I just wanted to mention that Membership actually is well coded, it’s just that css conflicts are easily possible when working across various theme/plugin combinations.

In nearly all cases I’ve seen, the registration form rendered perfectly well with other themes. Once in a while though, css issues do arise, usually depending on how the theme’s coded.

Happy to see Barry’s adjustment worked for you though. I’ll mark this as resolved but if you have further questions, please simply mark it unresolved.

Thanks,

David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.