Membership Registration form not passing 508

Hi Guys,

First I am thrilled with the membership plugin! Thank you. I am also thrilled with the support. Again, thank you.

I need some guidance. I am in a situation where my pages have to pass 508 validation. Currently the registration form and the account form do pass. The issue is the <label> tag is being used as a container and is not associated with the text input field. This causes screen readers to loose track of what the label is connected to.

So from

<label>Email Address <span>*</span></label>
<input class="regtext" type="text" name="user_email" value="">

to

<label for="email">Email Address:</label>
<input type="text" name="fn" id="email" value="" />

For example.

Is it reasonably easy to modify the plugin to change the HTML output to use for attribute whose value is the id of the input element? In this way it would comply/validate with 508 validations. (ie, please my boss). :slight_smile:

I'm concerned about accessibility,

Thoughts?

• BJ Kitchin
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

And there was much rejoicing!

I look forward to this update. With the registration and account forms validating to section 508... this plug in makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

If you guys get that updated, I bet I can convince the powers that be to let me get an year long subscirption, which would rock!

Warm regards,

BJ

• BJ Kitchin
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Barry,

Thank you for asking. I think you will find an excellent explanation here:

Accessible forms for section 508.

In the membership form (Which is rockin - thank you very much) what I found is that the text fields seem not to be clearly associated with the input element. Toward the bottom of that page is what you are after.

This entire site is a great resource for this.

Another very good go-to source for 508 compliance and accessibility is:
    http://webaim.org/techniques/forms/#intro

I can tell you, when I am looking for plugins I am searching to see if they are accessible. Few business entities are mandated by law to comply with this rule but many are doing so voluntarily. Some are being taken to court when they not accessible. Target is the most recent e-commerce website to make the news on this issue.

Anyway, if you tweak it I'd love to know. I will gladly sell you guys up to all the units here on the campus where I work!

BJ

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.