Membership: Renewal date bug report

I had a subscription plan that I had set to renew in 365 YEARS... the maximum time that the plugin allows.

I noticed that when people signed up for that level, the expiry date on their account had reverted to Jan 1, 1970.

I remedied this problem by setting the plan to last 10 years, but I wanted to report the bug.

-Ryan

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Ryan,

Thank you for the feedback and though I will consult with the lead developer of Membership plugin about this anomaly, this date Jan 1, 1970 eerily reminds me of a BIO's bug that sets this as the default date for invalid dates and I am curious to know if this is in fact the same phenomenon.

Thanks again for the feedback and for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• theIMgeek
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Joe,

That date Jan 1, 1970 s what they call the Linux epoch, and it is the time that many software systems default to. When programming PHP this date will usually pop up if there is a formatting error in the expected date.

Fun fact: when you see a "timestamp" in programming, that is the number of seconds that have elapsed since this epoch date.

-Ryan

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Ryan,

Thank you for that info and the fun fact - it is certainly appreciated.

The date in question FYI was also popping up before php was ever dreamed up. When the bio's chip battery failed on machines back in the 80's this was always the date they would reverted to when bringing them back to life.

As a matter of fact the punch card refrigerator sized machine that I worked on in 1979 also reverted back to this date when left unplugged too long .... lol

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Ryan,

Just to let you know that there was an Interim Fix released that may very well fix this anomaly.

Personally I was unable to reproduce this time problem due to I set it not to 365 days but to simply 1 year as the plugin allows.

I am also curious how much this years leap year had interfered, if at all, with the 365 day setting.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Ryan,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.