Membership Renewals

How do I set up the renewals? I've read on the forums that there is a "serial" button but I don't see that on our memberships.

• Sajid

Hi @Web Coordinator,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Do you want automatic renewals are manual ?

For automatic renewals create a recurring membership and select PayPal Standard and/or Stripe Subscription gateway. This will automatically extend the memberships after each period.

For manual renewals your members will see a renew button on memberships page when they are logged or on account page.

None of above work for you ?

I have created a test membership on your site and registered a test user. Then added it in the membership that is set to expire tomorrow. So lets see if it expire and make the renew button visible or not. I created same test on my own site as well.

The reason why I created a test membership on your site for testing is that most of your memberships are just one off payments. So the renew button would not appear there.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• Web Coordinator

Hi Sajid,

Thank you for your reply. We currently have our memberships set up as Manual Payment Gateway and PayPal Single Gateway set up for our registration. However, for renewals do not want members memberships to automatically extend the memberships after each period. I would like to have our Membership Coordinator approve each registration based on their payments received.

I would like out members to have a "button" option to renew and have them follow payment instructions via PayPal and/or payment instructions. Once we (AWCA) that payment has been received we would like the ability to approve each membership once payment has been confirmed.

Please let me know how the "test" membership works.

Kind regards,
    Regina

• Sajid

Hi Web Coordinator,

If you don't want open public registration and subscription then what you need to do is create a private membership or use only Manual payment gateway. If you use PayPal single gateway then they could still have immediate access after payment.

So, once you approved the registration and received the payment via manual payment gateway (in manual payment gateway you can ask them to send you payment via PayPal as well by posting your PayPal email), you can simply go to Admin -> Membership 2 -> Billing -> Locate the invoice and mark as paid.

That is the best setup according to your scenario.

Regarding the test membership I created on your and my own site. I assumed you are getting issue with renew button not appearing after the membership expired. But I can see the renew button (see screenshot) is there so your users can click on renew button once its expired, send money manually, your coordinator approve the payment and extend the membership.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• Web Coordinator

Hi Sajid,

Thanks for working on this. I see that the renew button is available. However, once someone renews, a member is automatically approved more membership. But the way our membership approvals work is that we need to verify that we have received payment from our members (where new or renewing). I created a test member and the test member was approved to have access to the website as soon as I pressed the renew button. Unfortunately, we need to change this. Once a member "renew" there membership, we would like the member to not have access to the website until we approve payment and then we would like to approve the membership as "mark as paid". (See screenshot attached). Can you kindly change this?

• Sajid

Hi Web Coordinator,

I am sorry but I am confuse what you mean by approve the user. If its a user to renew the membership then its already member of your website so you just need to mark that paid and extend the membership.

Your or your coordinator must validate the payment status, if you receive the payment from that member then renew it by simply marking it as paid you pointed in your screenshot.

If you need another way to approve the payment or member either new or renew then I am afraid its not possible out of the box in Membership 2 Pro plugin.

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• Web Coordinator

Hi Sajid,

Thank you for your response. We are able to renew our membership but once the member renews their membership, the membership defaults to "paid". We would like the members membership to default under the status of "billed" and not have access to the members pages. I'd like our Membership Coordinator to approve a member's membership once we confirm payment. Please let me know what I need to do.

Kind regards,
    Regina

• Web Coordinator

Hi again Sajid,

If a member's membership has cancelled and a member wants to renew, can you please tell me why the status stays as paid? I understand that when a member's membership has expired, the members membership will post as "Pending (activate at next payment)" (screenshot 1). However, on the billing page (screenshot 2), the billing status is on Paid. So would I have to create a new invoice for the new club year? How do I reactivate the members account? I've read some of the messages on your Support Forum but it is not very clear on how the process of renewals should work. Please help clarify the renewal process.

• Web Coordinator

Hi again,

Our members membership have expired as of June 30, 2016 and we have membership renewal now for 2016-2017. My questions:
    1. When a member's membership expires, I see that in a members "profile/subscription" there is no longer a subscription (screenshot 1).
    2. Under the "billing" page (screenshot 2), the member's status is still currently on paid (green check mark)?
    3. In "edit billing", I see that the old invoice is still current.

If a member renews their membership, should I select a member's membership (screenshot 1)?

Or should I create a new invoice to renew their membership for year 2016 - 2017?

Please advise. Thank you.

• Sajid

Hi Web Coordinator,

1. Membership 2 does not removes the membership from a member's profile automatically unless you drop the membership from Membership 2 -> All Members.

2 and 3. That is old recorded membership that were due and paid on 09/25/2015.

Or should I create a new invoice to renew their membership for year 2016 - 2017?

On members end, they should see the renew button/complete payment button on account/memberships page on frontend. But it seems they would not in this specific case since the membership is not actually there.

So in this case case, when you have the payment from this member, then go to profile/subscription page (Profile_subscription_Screen_Shot_1._20.png), select the membership and save the changes. This will instantly activate the membership and give access to all protected content to member for selected period but would not create an invoice.

Or

To create an invoice, ask your member to subscribe this membership again from memberships page, send payment (if have not already) and accept the invoice manually from billing section.

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• Web Coordinator

Hi Sajid,

1. Under "all members" I didn't drop any of our members but they seem to have disappeared from the list. There are currently members who renewed on time when their membership canceled in June.

2. With the members who have not renewed their membership, there is currently not a membership assigned to the members (see above screenshot 1).

Please help me to understand how I should be setting up a members membership. Currently, many of our members are unable to renew their membership because they aren't seeing the "renew" button as you described in your response dated on 11 June. So for now the other members who have to renew their membership, aren't able to renew. So a few questions:

1. In what way should I set up our membership if our members are required to renew annually (renewals would start July 1)?
    2. For now, how would members renew their membership? Are members required to renew by re-registering?
    3. Do I need to reassign everyone's membership and mark it as cancelled? See screenshot attached.

Please provide some guidance or clarify how this should be set up ASAP as I'm trying to renew 300 members by September 1?

Thank you,
    Regina

• Sajid

Hi Web Coordinator,

1. In what way should I set up our membership if our members are required to renew annually (renewals would start July 1)?

No! The annual membership does not mean the membership will start from Jul 1 and end on December 31.

The annual year will be relative to the current date of member's subscription. For example if some one will signup today 14th August 2016, their membership will be valid until 14th August 2017.

2. For now, how would members renew their membership? Are members required to renew by re-registering?

If they can't see the renew button, as you say they don't have memberships so their would be no renew button too.

So in this case their are two options.

1. You as administrator add those members manually in a membership from Membership 2 -> All Members.

2. Or members add themselves from /memberships page. If they are registered already, then they don't need to register again. Just ask them to login their username & password and then signup for that membership again.

3. Do I need to reassign everyone's membership and mark it as cancelled? See screenshot attached.

Yes, you can reassign the memberships of missing members yourself as suggested in point one above. (Your screenshot does not seems to get through with your last message)

Also, please enable support staff access so I can create a test member myself to see what's going on exactly. (I will create a test membership of 1 day, signup and will try to renew it again other day)

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• Web Coordinator

Hi Sajid,

Thank you for your response. This brings much light to the issue of our renewals. However, I'm confuse of how I should have originally set up the membership. Please bare with me so that I can understand how to set up the membership properly and how to handle our renewal. The information provided to set this up on Membership Pro was not so clear. So...

1. I wanted or had hoped to set up our members membership annually. A members' annual membership was from July 1, 2015 - June 30, 2016, so on June 30, 2016, member's membership expired.
    2. When the membership expired on June 30, 2016, our members received and email notification that their membership expired and from July 1 - July 31, members were able to renew as described per your message on June 11.
    3. However, after August 1, members are now only able to signup for their membership (see attached photo) rather than renew.
    4. I've sent a message to our members that they will need to log into their account and renew by pressing on the "signup" button.
    5. However, there is currently an issue with the signup. Members are skipping an important part of the process which is going to the "Manual Payment" page. On this page, it provides the method of payments. Therefore, members signup is not being completed.
    6. I've enable support staff access and can you please you make sure that this is tested on the awca.nl/live site.

Kind regards,
    Regina

• Sajid

Hi Web Coordinator,

Thanks for granting support staff access. I could replicate this on my own site as well as on your website.

Since its a One payment for date range access membership that requires payment only once. That is why it does not redirect to instructions page on renew as it does on first payment. Membership does not expect a second membership from same member again. That's why its not sending to instructions page.

On the other hand, I created a recurring membership with manual payment gateway. It does redirect to correct instructions page of manual gateway each time a member will renew the membership.

That is not an issue or bug, its working the way it should.

If you want to allow renewal then create a recurring payments membership instead of One payment for date range access.

Otherwise you have to create new membership for another year to continue membership.

Hope that clears this up. Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.