Membership settings not consistent

I am finding the setting are not saving correctly ... or they produce weird results ... there are multiple pages being produced .. none have an content for Register etc. I don't have a clue how this is supposed to work ... have followed the directions in the user guide ... it will work next thing I know it stops.

Should this module be installed at the Network level? If so what other modules should be installed at this level - is it automatic, I don't recall choosing the level of the install.

How do the Pages work .. shouldn't the pages have at least the shortcut to display the login screen ... they are blank. Does anyone have a good set of login / registration screens beyond the simple ones provided? The default is unusable ... the users who have been trying to login get confused.

Very, very frustrated with this module ... perhaps there are other modules / plug-ins causing conflicts but how am I supposed to know?

Not a very good introduction to the products, I must say.

Help please...

Allan

• PC

Hello Allan,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

I am finding the setting are not saving correctly ... or they produce weird results ... there are multiple pages being produced .. none have an content for Register etc. I don't have a clue how this is supposed to work ... have followed the directions in the user guide ... it will work next thing I know it stops.

Can you please provide me more info on when its happening so that I can try and replicate the issue on my lab site ? Are the pages being created everything you are saving settings ?

The pages which are created by the plugin itself do not have any content, the content is populated dynamically while the user visits those pages.

Should this module be installed at the Network level? If so what other modules should be installed at this level - is it automatic, I don't recall choosing the level of the install.

Well, if you want to run the plugin network wide, then you can network activate it and offer subscriptions on the whole network but if you want a membership system on your main site, then just activate it on the main site.

How do the Pages work .. shouldn't the pages have at least the shortcut to display the login screen ... they are blank. Does anyone have a good set of login / registration screens beyond the simple ones provided? The default is unusable ... the users who have been trying to login get confused.

As I said, they are blank and when we select the pages in Membership >> Options >> Membership pages and associate them with different functions like Register, Subscription, Account the plugin automatically populates the content on the frontend when those pages are visited.

Registration process is predefined and it integrates with the BuddyPress registration if you have buddypress installed on your site. However, you can also use the default registration process of WordPress and once the user is registered, he can choose a subscription. However, its better to keep it simple and use the plugin's registration process.

Very, very frustrated with this module ... perhaps there are other modules / plug-ins causing conflicts but how am I supposed to know?

I understand your feelings Allan. You know when I joined as a member even I was amazed after seeing the Membership plugin and it kept me confused for quite a while and when I read the manual again and again and asked questions it became easier :slight_smile: Here is a latest manual which covers the things in a better way : https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Membership3440-Docs.pdf I will request you to please save it on your computer so that you can refer to it.

So in order to configure the plugin properly, you will first need to decide what kind of membership you want and then you need to start configuring it.

I am around in case you get stuck at any point or if you feel that a particular function is not working.

If you want to check for a plugin conflict then you can simply disable other plugins on the site and you will know if something is conflicting.

Cheers, PC

• canuckcrafts

Hi Bijnor,

Thanks for your response ... I was hitting the wall trying to figure this out .. getting dizzy from going in circles. The new User Manual will help a lot .. the one I found was for 3.0.

What I find most frustrating is that the Files are all named the same Register appears about three times ... I have to try and find the correct on and delete the others. If they were created Register1, Register2 etc. it would help. The drop down for the Pages does not differentiate between the versions.

I have managed to sort out some of the issues. I think I was over configuring the permissions ... so I took a Negative Rule approach and made some progress.

I find the Registrations Forms to be very basic and not unprofessional looking. How can I modify them to be more professional ... images, text editing ... basically an HTML form with needed fields ... every person who has tried using the default have been unsuccessful and had to ask for help.

I will review the new manual and follow through the settings step by step. Hoping for a more successful result.

Thanks for your confirmation of it being confusing ... was starting to feel BuddyPress challenged! :slight_smile:

Allan

• canuckcrafts

I am still confused however about where the modules / plugins should be installed.

When I go to the Network Dashboard I find

BuddyPress and all the WPMU plugins

When I go to the Site Dashboard I only find a few Plug-ins ... all of which are disabled .. Akismet, Slidein, Ultimate Facebook, Jetpack

I do not see any place to install a plugin at the Site level .. only at the network level.

Maybe I missed something during the install ... did not really need the Multisite but now that I have it setup I will use it. My thought is to have an entrance point using one site and the main content on another ... I think that will be more secure and may get around these issues.

I can send the Admin login if you want to take a look ... really doesn't make sense to me but I have not worked with BuddyPress or MU before so it is a steep learning curve.

Thanks ... Allan

• PC

Hello @canuckcrafts

Thanks for posting back.

Hi Bijnor,

Oops, looks like you confused my name with my location :wink: I am PC, currently located in Bijnor, India

What I find most frustrating is that the Files are all named the same Register appears about three times ... I have to try and find the correct on and delete the others. If they were created Register1, Register2 etc. it would help. The drop down for the Pages does not differentiate between the versions.

Are you talking about the pages ? Can you pop me a screenshot on where you see register coming multiple times ?

I find the Registrations Forms to be very basic and not unprofessional looking. How can I modify them to be more professional ... images, text editing ... basically an HTML form with needed fields ... every person who has tried using the default have been unsuccessful and had to ask for help.

I will review the new manual and follow through the settings step by step. Hoping for a more successful result.

Thanks for your confirmation of it being confusing ... was starting to feel BuddyPress challenged! :slight_smile:

The registration form is a basic form to keep registrations fast. If you want to add more fields, you can simply use BuddyPress extended profiles and add more fields to the registration process. Here is how to use BuddyPress extended profiles : https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/the-buddypress-manual-2/working-with-extended-profile/

Membership plugin integrates with BuddyPress seamlessly and that is the best way to modify the registration form.

I am still confused however about where the modules / plugins should be installed.

When I go to the Network Dashboard I find

BuddyPress and all the WPMU plugins

When I go to the Site Dashboard I only find a few Plug-ins ... all of which are disabled .. Akismet, Slidein, Ultimate Facebook, Jetpack

I do not see any place to install a plugin at the Site level .. only at the network level.

It can be confusing when you start with Multisites. In multisite environment, every plugin is installed on a Network Level and it can be activated in 2 ways

1: Network Wide - Done from network Admin >> Plugins
    2: Site wide - Done from Site admin >> Plugins

Any plugins you network activate will not be visible under Site admin >> Plugins.

Here is a guide to help you understand how it works : https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wordpress-plugins-themes/

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.