Membership Shortcodes Not Working

I was trying to use the Membership plugin on my site, but I am experiencing some difficulties. I made a shortcode [member] but the page does not hide the private content or remove the shortcode tags. When logged in, it still shows the shortcodes. I tried this in multiple users,but to no avail. I have stranger settings set to no access. I also have shortcodes protected by default. What could I be missing. I searched around a bit, but found nothing that solved my problems. I would appreciate any help.

• Mason

Hiya Grant!

Welcome to WPMU DEV! :smiley:

Let's get some more info on your membership setup and see if we can't get this sorted.

I made a shortcode [member] but the page does not hide the private content or remove the shortcode tags. When logged in, it still shows the shortcodes.

Does the shortcode hide the content from strangers correctly? What do you see when you are completely logged out?

I have stranger settings set to no access

If this is the case, the site should be almost completely blank to a guest. If this is not the case, then most likely something is not installed correctly.

Have you setup both Levels and Subscriptions? Do you have any rules about your shotcodes in these areas?

We'll help you get it sorted. Thanks for posting your question and again, welcome!

• grant

Thanks for the speedy reply! When logged out, I see the shortcode tags and the content. I set up the Levels with the shortcodes, but it still doesn't work. I did not do anything with Subscriptions though...

One other interesting (maybe) note. When I selected a Protected Content Page, the page was invisible while logged out. So it seems that some parts of the plugin are working, just not the shortcodes.

Thank you again!

• Mason

You cannot edit any Subscriptions? That is indeed odd.

What happens when you click on the edit button? Does the page load? Are you getting any errors?

As to the settings you posted, they all look fine to me. I have a very similar setup except that I have given "strangers" their own membership level (which I call "visitors") and have specific rules setup. However, when I change this to "none" I am shown the expected no-access page.

What is your setting for Protected content page?

Also, a link might help us diagnose this (as long as it's an appropriate-for-work site of course).

Thanks!

• grant

When I try to edit the subscriptions it takes me to a page that says "Are you sure you want to do this?" with a link that says "Please try again" that takes me back to the subscriptions edit page.

The Protected Content Page is set to none.

The site is http://www.marketplacetraining.tv/members.
    I do not mind giving you admin access, if there was a way to do this securely. (Like not posting the info on this forum) Thank you for your help.

• Mason

Hiya Grant,

I'm not seeing anything wrong with your settings and when I go to your site everything is restricted except the registration page (which is how you have it configured for strangers, so that's working).

The error messages you mentioned are odd as well as they're not ones included with our plugin. This makes me think we have a problem outside of our plugin. What other plugins do you have running and active (both plugins and mu-plugins)?

I'd try disabling the plugins (all of them) except buddypress and membership and see if you still have the issues. If not, enable the plugins one at a time until the issue reappears, and you'll have found the culprit.

Also, it'd be a good idea to check out your server's error logs. Any PHP errors and we can trouble-shoot that as well.

When something is not working right in this way it's often due to a javascript conflict. You can check this by using a tool called firebug. Have it open and enabled on the Subscriptions page then "refresh" the page. If there's any errors, firebug will display them.

I realize I'm giving you a ton of steps here, but once we have isolated what the issue is, we should be able to resolve it quickly. :smiley:

Thanks!

• grant

Thanks for looking at this. You are right, the page is now restricted to users that are not logged in. Weird that is works now, but I am not going to complain. But I am still having problem with the short code tags remaining when logged in. You can see this on the about page if you log in.
    Username: test
    Pw: temporary

Now for the subscriptions problem.
    The only plugins I have installed are Membership and BP.
    The server's error log did not show anything. I found no javascript errors. But I did notice that the title for the error page said WordPress Failure Notice. I do not know if that helps any. Let me know if there is anything else I should check. Thanks.

• Mason

Hiya!

Just logged in and took a quick look around. Oddly, the "About" page still showed as blank for me. I'm not seeing the short-tags or any content. Did you give the test username a member level and subscription?

The error you've described here is one caused by a plugin not working correctly. It's a default message from WordPress. Unfortunately I'm still unable to replicate it by using only Membership and BP.

• grant

I got some good news and some bad news.
    Good news
    I had the crazy idea to redownload and reinstall the plugin. That fixed the shortcode tags problem.
    :slight_smile:
    Bad news
    The subscriptions are still not working. Another interesting thing I just found. When I try to edit a subscription, all of the fields are empty. hmmm... Could that mean anything? Is there anything else I can do to isolate the problem?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.