membership signups not working properly

Since upgrading the lot: buddypress, wordpress, membership my signups aren't working very smoothly.

In fact most member signups are not being completed properly.

For instance some members have told me that they try to sign, they get an error message, they try again and the system tells them that their email address has already been taken.

I then get a new user notification email and the username and email address are blank (but with some digging around I can see there is a new un-activated member within my 'users' section).

I'm not convinced that the new members are getting an welcome email from the automessage plugin either.

Not good! :slight_frown:

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there, the member formally known as themarketingcompass. :slight_smile:

For instance some members have told me that they try to sign, they get an error message, they try again and the system tells them that their email address has already been taken.

What was the error they got?

I then get a new user notification email and the username and email address are blank (but with some digging around I can see there is a new un-activated member within my 'users' section).

Does this happen if registration is done direct through WordPress or without Membership activated?

Have you tested for any conflicts with other plugins or themes by reverting to a default install (deactivate plugins and pop on the Twenty Eleven or Twelve theme) You might wish to replicate your production install to a sandbox to test these issues.

Let me know.

Thanks.

• bentemple

Hey Tim, sorry I forgot to introduce myself there that time (I'm still working on my symbol!)

The error they get is that 'there is already an account with this email address'.

It works fine if I register people in my dashboard, but the point of a community is for new members to signup on the site...lol :stuck_out_tongue:

I\'m working on setting up a sandbox, as you know the site is pretty chunky now and it's a good idea to not mess around with it 'live'. I'm afraid I haven't had time to test out deactivating all the plugins one by yet.

Have you seen anything like this before?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

In your first post:

What's the first error message before they get the email already taken?

I know you're not asking but you might like to add this to your theme for the reg page (not the front page, this is the pages where a sidebar cramps it in):

div.bottombar {
     height: 75px;
    }
    div.pricebox span.price {
        width: 100%;
    	text-align: center;
    }
    div.priceboxes span.link {
    	margin-right: 40px;
    	margin-top:15px;
    }

That will make the bottom of your reg page match each column as in my screenshot. You might want to tweak it slightly to align but it's in the general direction if you like it. :slight_smile:

You might want to target the page class page-id-5251 specifically for the /login/ page.

I just signed up to your site with no issue. Scree shot attached.

Take care.

• bentemple

Hi @Tim, I've updated the membership columns so that the signup button sits below the price, thanks for that tip!

I'm still experiencing some strange behavior with signups - I'd say one is every 5 is failing and I think I might have worked out why. When you're in the process of signing up, if you type a username/email address that's already in use or make a mistake, you get an error message.

If you try put in a different username you the error message doesn't disappear and you can't progress further. It appears as though the signup doesn't work and the user must get frustrated and tries again by refreshing their browser. However the user has been created in the database and you can see them in 'users'. Again if the person trying to signup makes another attempt they will not be able to use their email address as it's already been taken....

Does that make sense?

PS - I sent you a tweet earlier, read the @ message and ping me back, I'd need to talk to you!

Yours sincerly 'the artist formerly known as'

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.