Membership site where members can sell to one another (or the public)?

I'm going to be setting up a membership site that has an integrated store. Members will automatically get samples of new products sent to them each month as part of their membership fee, and the store will offer the same products so they can buy more if they like them. This part seems simple enough with the use of the Membership and MarketPress plugins.

But I would also like for them to be able to develop their own products to sell (with the site taking a cut). Ideally, there would be some kind of rating system for both products and sellers. Can you think of any clean way to implement this?

• Timothy Bowers

Hi godot.

If you want them to have their own website and charge for that, and for feature upgrades then you might consider Pro Sites over Membership. Membership is more of a content management plugin where you charge for access to that content albeit articles or downloads.

Pro Sites is more like a web hosting plugin where you can charge for people to have their own site, charge for extra features on the site, etc. So like a membership system as well I suppose.

MarketPress however is not an affiliate cart, you would need to:

- Update each cart on each website manually
    - Site owners (ie you clients) could add, edit and remove products as well as manage their own.
    - They would use their own Paypal account, although you could use Chained Payments to take a cut. You could code out the option for them to change the paypal and gateway details. Then use something like New Blog Template plugin to ensure each site has your details within its tables.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template

Ideally, there would be some kind of rating system for both products and sellers.

A rating system is one of the most demanded features for MarketPress and it is coming in a future release but we couldn't give a definite date or release number this will come in.

Hope this helps.

• godot

Thanks for your quick response!

I wasn't planning on letting each member set up their own separate shop, although it's something to think about. Ideally, I'd like to have either one shop with some categories for member products, or one shop for my stuff and one for member products.Thanks for the tip about Chained Payment - their EZChain service sounds like it could do the trick for splitting up revenue, if I can come up with some way to designate the primary recipient based on which user posted the product listing. Otherwise, I could just take payment for everything to my own Paypal account and handle sending out payments to members manually for the time being. That might be acceptable, since if it gets busy enough I could always hire someone to do this for me.

The Membership plugin is definitely what I'm looking for with this site, as the shop is only a part of the setup; there will be premium content, forums, etc. Even most of the shop will only be available to members.

If you can think of any more tips for getting a multi-user shop working, your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.