membership Stripe gateway?

Will Membership Get the Stripe Gateway? setting up my site and trying to figure out if I need a third party solution (yourmembers) or membership with s3 streaming protection will work just as well.

But after hearing about stripe, I'd prefer to use them rather than any of the other gateways!

• VC Nickels
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I have seen some stuff about it as well (and something from American Express as well...) I wonder though if these are just flashes in the pan so to speak.

Still, since people like to jump on bandwagons we'd like to offer as many payment options as we can. So /jump

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hey guys!

I hear you! I know there is alot of excitement over the new stripe gateway in Marketpress, I'm checking in to see if we have plans to add it to Membership in the works already. :slight_smile:

I would definitely make sense!

Be back soon!

Kimberly

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

OK,

Here is the unofficial word...

With the new overhaul of Membership about to drop, stripe is not on the table right now.

However, once the new version is tested and vetted then they will turn to adding new features (i.e. gateways). So it's in the big plan, but not on the table right now. :slight_smile:

That means you all need to download the new update and debug as fast as you can! hehe

Best,

Kimberly

• VC Nickels

So, if it's in MarketPress now... I wonder if anyone has hacked it into Membership?

Actually, now I'm kinda confused. Wouldn't they use the same core functions being as they both kinda do the same thing? At least as far as taking payments.

• VC Nickels

Rob Schwartz says

Delerium... That's exactly what I was thinking... that it would be easy to plug in that gateway in the similar plug in! :slight_smile:

Well, from what I understand so far about WMPU and their theme's and plugins is that they are done by individuals with some standards but I'm not sure if there is a core set of functions used across all plugins. Stripe seems to have a pretty solid API but that doesn't mean that it will integrate with two different plugins the same way.

Having done some programming and having been in the position of having to add to and/or alter someone else's code without them I can say that things are never as easy as you may think when it comes to coding. eCommerce plugins are definitely a place where you want to make sure you cover all your bases.

pcwriter says

Note the use of the term "unofficial"...
    Let's not lose hope guys. :wink:

Well, I haven't lost hope. They aren't going to to put off the version that's about to drop to add in something at the last minute. At least I hope not... I wouldn't be surprised if there's a patch or interim update shortly after though.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

They aren't going to to put off the version that's about to drop to add in something at the last minute. At least I hope not... I wouldn't be surprised if there's a patch or interim update shortly after though.

This is exactly the plan. We're on it and for the next version of membership we're talking days not weeks.

Thanks everyone for chiming in here.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Aha! Now that sounds like a somewhat less "unofficial" word... goody :slight_smile:

The only drawback is that Stripe is only available for US-based users at the moment. But their FAQ says

Rest assured, we're working hard on expanding to other countries. Many of us at Stripe are from outside the United States, and we understand just how broken the non-US payments landscape is.

They even have a little feedback form so we can be notified when it becomes available elsewhere:
    https://stripe.com/global

• VC Nickels

When this thread started there was a new version without Stripe that was dropping in a few days. The impression I got from @masonjames post

This is exactly the plan. We're on it and for the next version of membership we're talking days not weeks.
    Thanks everyone for chiming in here.

was that that version was going to come out as expected and a patch was going to come out shortly there after to ad Stripe.

I'm wondering if now they are just going to role out the new version with Stripe included and are a bit held up on it because of that.

@masonjames post was just a week ago though...

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Steve, Sorry for the delay in the reply!

Ok guys here is what I have:

The new Membership is nearly ready to go, and by "nearly ready to go" I mean, I'm not sure what the holdup is.

Mason is actually out sick, (sounds strange to say, working in a virtual office like we do hehe),as in had to go to the doctor and get actual medicine sick and he was the guy heading the launch process.

My suggestion: send him lots of Chicken soup and Orange Juice, and hope he wakes up ready to launch that Plugin!

I'm ready for you guys to see it! :slight_smile:

As far as the Stripe gateway, it will not be in on the initial release. We probably won't have an idea on the timeline for inclusion until the devs start working up their first update to this next release.

Best,

Kimberly

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Don't think so John, but I could be wrong

I know there have been a lot of threads addressing the payment gateways in Membership so I'm sure that the update after this release will touch on those, just make sure you get your +1's in on it in a Feature Request thread :slight_smile:

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya guys,

Thanks for the wishes :slight_smile:

In fact, this plugin is ready for release with two exceptions that we are trying to stomp out:
    1. AuthorizetNET gateway subscriptions aren't properly being accepted by membership
    2. Global 'Network' activation still needs to be more intuitive (as when membership is controlling access across multiple sites)

So the 2nd one isn't a deal-breaker for most folks (and it works, it's just not as intuitive as we want), but the Authorize gateway has held us up for 5-6 days now.

Re: Stripe gateway - it's on the list. As its US-only it hasn't been a huge request yet, but as we've already added it to MarketPress and Pro Sites you can bet it'll be on the roadmap for the near future.

Thanks again.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings everyone,

The new Membership plugin V 3. has been released making most of this ticket no longer valid and now we shall be addressing tickets for the new version if any.

As Mason mentioned the Stripe Gateway is on the list for possible future integration.

Thank you all for your feedback, it is welcome and appreciated.

I shall now close this ticket due to the reasons mentioned above.

Cheers, Joe

• Lancera
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

After 6 months of waiting, we decided to code the Membership Gateway for Stripe ourselves. We will start testing it on our live site tomorrow.

If you are interested in testing this out on your site please message me. We will give beta access to the first 10 people who give rep points.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings trestian and Lancera,

@trestian Thank you for your input it is greatly appreciated.

Considering

With Stripe's fantastic API this shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Could you please be so kind as to submit your rendition of this gateway to the community so that we may be able to use it?

@Lancera thank you for letting us know of your work and efforts to integrate this gateway into the Membership plugin.

Your efforts are greatly appreciated of course and it appears that many in the community look forward to its completion and hopefully successful testing.

I know for a fact that it is a lot easier said then done.

Thank you both for being WPMU Dev Community Members!

Cheers, Joe

• rpeterson
    • Flash Drive

I started on this last night, @Lancera, do you guys not use TDD? having to wait for beta testers ... must be a windows shop. Joking. I will push up my rendition of this in a couple days here since it shouldn't take to long to whip this out. Already have the plugin with the gateway showing up in the list implemented, just have to wrap Stripe api into the flow of the Membership gateway code.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings rpeterson,

Thank you for letting us know and it is certain that many members await the arrival of this integration - looking forward to seeing your results and the results of members who give it a go.

+100

Have a GREAT upcoming weekend everyone!

Cheers, Joe

• Lancera
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Progress update - The software integration has been completed for a while but there were only a couple people that expressed interest by giving rep points. It seems that there have been a lot more people interested as o late. I will have our developer zip up the file and post it for members that gave more than just a couple rep points.

If you are interested in this software please give rep points as this has cost us $1000's to develop. I am willing to release the software if I knew I could get a lifetime wpmu membership.

• Helms
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

@Lancera

Why don't you tell us how many points you would accept for the stripe gateway? Some of us just joined and don't have a lot of points.

Maybe you can offer your code to wpmu for points?

Thanks man, and I look forward to using your stripe gateway for membership.

• Lancera
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Everyone that has been generous with giving points please feel free to download and use the software. You are on your honor.

Use the following link to download the membership plugin for the stripe gateway. https://www.box.com/s/grm2bm0m6v76rywab7hc

To get it working you will need to add the files in the zip file to /wp-content/plugins/membership/ folder

To activate the gateway go to wp-admin/admin.php?page=membershipgateways and enter in the settings

Please post feedback and bug reports.

WPMUDEV - I would be willing to donate the software in exchange for a lifetime membership. :slight_smile:

• Ash
        • WordPress Hacker

Hey there.

Thanks for posting in this thread, however it might be best if you open your own, even if the issues seem closely related. That way it will remain independent of this one and ensure it doesn't confuse issues here if this thread needs reopening again by the author.

It also means the member who started this thread or anyone following it isn't inundated with post notifications each time we respond to each other. A lengthy thread could annoy the original poster.

This also allows us to better track and answer your questions to ensure we don't miss any for you.

You can start a new thread here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

Thanks
        Ash

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

Thank you very much for the work on this.

We gave it a try but were unable to get it to work. We got everything set up in the plugin settings as well as Stripe settings, but the "buy now" button wouldn't appear on the post-registration step.

Mind taking a look at that and see what isn't working right?

• Helms

@Brian @Kimberly

When are you guys going to implement Stripe in Membership...really?
    It seems like it was almost out a year ago, but never finished, or probably even started. We know there has been a huge interest in it, otherwise you probably wouldn't have implemented it on Marketpress and Prosites.

:slight_frown: Lancera's implementation doesn't seem to work.

Can you find out for everyone, offically, when Stripe will be added to Membership? I would like to use Stripe as my gateway and nothing else.

Thanks for all the hard work.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

We don't provide any eta's on releases, sorry.

Our developers work on a number projects here, for example Barry on this plugin also developers our pop over plugin, Domain Mapping and a number of other ones.

Currently he is also maintaining e-newsletter and a few extra ones due to a developer leaving us which has unfortunately taken some of his time. Don't worry though, we have recently set on new developers so Barry will be able to return his usual plugins.

Take care.

• Helms

For the buy now button to appear, you can just copy and paste the url of a button image on your site and the button should appear.

For example, I put in the URL for the paypal button and I get the papal button the payment screen.

I just can't go past that. Once I click Pay Now I get a 404 page even though I put in the URL of the checkout page in the Stripe settings. Any ideas?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Helms,

Just touching base with you to answer your last question regarding Lancera's plugin and I cannot confirm nor deny that it works unfortunately and nobody else has ever mentioned anything about it that I am aware of.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Lancera
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

The stripe plugin is working for us. Something that may help out that caught me up for a while.

Add your API settings at wp-admin/options-general.php?page=stripe-settings

This should do the job if you are still having issues.

Has anyone besides us got this working?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Lancera,

Great question indeed and thank you for your additional input to benefit other members i.e. Add your API settings at wp-admin/options-general.php?page=stripe-settings

Does anyone else have this working as Lancera has kindly inquired?

Let us know.

Cheers, Joe

• 16wells

I have successfully installed the plugin from @lancera, but I do wish there was a page of documentation about the fields in the settings - i'm not sure what is supposed to go in each field and would like an example.

• 16wells

@Lancera, I think I may have figured out what the shortcoming is here. I installed everything you posted at https://www.box.com/s/grm2bm0m6v76rywab7hc per your instructions.

As others mentioned, inputting the settings on this alone did not make it work for me, or, it appears, many other people.

You mention having a page at wp-admin/options-general.php?page=stripe-settings. I get a 404 when I attempt to go there (Says I don't have sufficient permissions)

http://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_Options_Pages says that having an options page would imply that you either put it into your plugin.php file or that you would have to insert a function (functions.php) pointing at where the options would live.

I'm betting that there is a file missing from your upload that is required for this to work.

• jmurphy444
    • Flash Drive

Just looking for an update here.... I installed the plugin from Lancera and got the option for stripe but I am getting this as an error.......

Warning: Missing argument 2 for wpdb::prepare(), called in /xxx/xxx/xxx/xxx.com/xxx/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/membershippublic.php on line 4639 and defined in /xxx/xxx/xxx/xxx.com/xxx/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 992

C'mon WPMU-----lets make this a priority......

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @realdude,

Stripe will be added, but not in the next release, as the next release will be bug fixes and minor improvements.

Stripe will be coming in the massive update we have planned for Membership, in the mean time it would indeed be possible to add Stripe, though this would require custom development.

You can take a look at the existing gateways in Membership to see how the gateways are coded and the best one to use would be PayPal as a basis for a Stripe Gateway.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• realdude

Jack, thanks - super fast reply. I'll see if I can find a programmer to give me a hand. Good luck with the update (and the somewhat angry crowd gathering here). It would have been nice if this was added in the 3.5 and 3.6 updates since it has been requested for years. Such is life.

• Lancera
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@realdude We created a stripe addition for the membership plugin and are using it daily. We have done a bunch of work on it since we initially released it to the community but haven't released the new additions because we were waiting on WPMUDev to release theirs. Even though they say it will be a short time for the update they have been saying that for years.

**REMOVED ADVERTISEMENT**

• Lancera
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

It wasn't much of an advertisement, more like an fwi. If you look back on this long chain of posts, we gave away the code that integrates stripe with membership to this community. We paid a couple thousand to have it developed but you can still get it and integrate it with your system for free.

• stephen
    • Flash Drive

Any update on this?

I bought for several reasons #1 being Stripe with membership... was told Protect Content was much better than Membership... but PC - not good. needs to go back to the drawing board.

Membership has a reasonable good interface but missing stripe. Trying to get away from Wishlist... was hoping that might happen here...

STRIPE! Please!

Ya know, it's not very complicated and there are 100s of freebe examples, and ton's of paid interfaces you guy buy and drop in...

Hope this is not indication of the entire wpmudev toolset. Thus far have tried 7 tools - none of them work.

this great annual pass is turning out to be a flat out waste of money - more importantly a huge was of time worth far more than the money.

Maybe a real rating system?

• Andre Foisy
      • The Incredible Code Injector

Hey there.

Thanks for posting in this thread, however it might be best if you open your own, even if the issues seem closely related, so would you please do that?

Thanks, that way it will remain independent of this one and ensure it doesn't confuse issues here if this thread needs reopening again by the author.

It also means the member who started this thread or anyone following it isn't inundated with post notifications each time we respond to each other. A lengthy thread could annoy the original poster.

This also allows us to better track and answer your questions to ensure we don't miss any for you.

You can start a new thread here:
      https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

That's appreciated! :slight_smile:

Regards,
      Andre

• astUtemy
    • New Recruit

We want to be inundated. We want Stripe. This is really such a shame. I'm very happy with Membership but Paypal is a nightmare. Having someone leave our site to pay is awful and so many despise it. Please make this happen WPMU. Protected Content is not an option for us and without an import there...anyhow, Stripe in Membership please. It can't be that difficult.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.