Membership subscriptions and access levels, and testing without payment gateways turned on

Good evening. I am almost done with my amazing subscription based website, based off your super amazing Membership plugin. I have a few more high level questions as I proceed. I read the manual and the support forums, and couldn't find a concrete answer to these questions.

#1) I created 5 access levels: 1 free and 4 paid for access to different types of content. Each access level is assigned to its own subscription, thus I have 5 subscriptions as well. I am struggling to understand if I need to have 5 subscriptions (1 for each access level) or 1 subscription (where all 5 access levels will be assigned to 1.) The free level can upgrade their subscription to a paid one. And 1 of the subscriptions is a super role with access to all features.

The other 3 subscriptions access 3 different types of content and could all upgrade to the super role, but wouldn't make sense to change to one of those other 3 subscriptions because it wouldn't really be an upgrade.

Would it make more sense to leave it as 5 access levels and 5 subscriptions? Or figure out a logical way to have 1 or 2 subscriptions that covers all 5 access levels?

#2) I have not yet turned on the payment gateway, so there is no e-commerce on my site yet. I do have the 5 subscriptions set up and functional on my site and everything seems to be hooked up correctly. When I try to register for an account with any of the subscriptions I set up, the user always gets assigned the default user role and does NOT get any associated to the subscription and access level he or she just registered for. I have to manually go into Membership > All Users and add the subscription plan to the user.

Is that happening because the payment gateway and e-commerce functionality is not hooked up yet? Or is there a different problem with my Membership setup?

#3) I plan on using PayPal Pro as my payment gateway. I spoke with PayPal ad they said they have a “sandbox” I can use to allow me to test and simulate a subscription purchase without actually transferring money. Will this PayPal Pro “sandbox” work with the Membership plugin?

• PC

Hey there Nick,

Thanks for posting back and for your nice words :slight_smile: Glad you are liking the plugin !

Would it make more sense to leave it as 5 access levels and 5 subscriptions? Or figure out a logical way to have 1 or 2 subscriptions that covers all 5 access levels?

You would need separate subscriptions to each access level. The reason is that if you add it to all in one subscription level, it would act like a drip feed content where next access level can only be achieved once the previous one has been completed.

Is that happening because the payment gateway and e-commerce functionality is not hooked up yet? Or is there a different problem with my Membership setup?

That is because you have not configured the payment gateways. That is the way a user is assigned to a subscription plan. So just configure a gateway and it should work fine :slight_smile:

Will this PayPal Pro “sandbox” work with the Membership plugin?

Membership does not yet support PayPal Pro gateway. The only available PayPal gateways are PayPal single payment (for one time subscriptions) and PayPal Express.

Sandbox works with both of them. You just need to select sandbox in the settings of that gateway via Membership >> Payment gateways >> Hover over the gateway >> settings and select sandbox.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

• Tyler Postle

Hey Nick!

Just in-case you haven't already heard, I'm going over some past related posts to let you know we've released a brand new powerful, super easy to use membership plugin. Offering a different approach and logic when compared to our already existing feature packed Membership plugin.

Check out the full details here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/protected-content/

Protecting content has never been easier :slight_smile:

If you have any questions we are more than happy to help! https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

Have a great rest of your day.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.