Membership Subscriptions and CoursePro Single Purchase

Is it possible to set it up so that customers have a choice to either purchase one course outright, or they can subscribe to a membership and get access to all the courses?

Something Like This:
Option 1: Buy a Specific Course
Option 2: Buy a Basic Membership with a New Course per Month (Dripped)
Option 3: Buy a VIP membership with Instant Access to All Courses

I am not sure if Membership 2 and CoursePress Pro will clash.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey WisTex,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

For this kind of setup you will need something like this:
    Option 1: You will need separate membership for each course as there's no option to grant access to one random post in same membership.
    Option 2: Dripped membership is available, you can select one course as the one starting course and then for rest of them select the time in which they become available.
    Dripped membership can be set relative to subscription date so you can have one course "unlock" after a month, second one after two months and so on.
    Option 3: For this simply create single membership and protect all courses for it and that's it.

Hope this helps and let us know if you have any additional questions :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi WisTex,

Membership2 is not an ecommerce solution like MarketPress and those two plugins do different things, if you want to sell individual courses you need MarketPress, if you need subscription based access you need Membership2 for that.

Combining both of these is unfortunately not possible as the MarketPress will require payment of the product even if user has membership active.

Currently only way for this would be, as I mentioned above, to have separate membership for each course.

Changing this behaviour would require lot of custom coding so if you need to customize this then you can post a job in our job board where you can hire a developer to assist further:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/
    Please note that, no WPMU official staff members are allowed to work in the job board.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• WisTex

How about make it so that people can enroll in a CoursePress Pro course and it doesn't show a price at all? That way you can still make the course available to only members using Membership protection rules.

Perhaps something like this:

On Step 6 - Enrollment & Course Cost, you have more than one option:
      1. This is a Paid Course.
      2. This is a Free Course.
      3. I will manage access via Membership 2 Protection Rules.

What option 3 does is remove all pricing information from the CoursePress course, so it no longer says FREE or the price.

(Or alternatively it does show FREE or the price, but paid courses link to the associated Membership purchase page instead of the MarketPlace purchase page.)

Then the admin would have to setup the following:

1. Turn on Membership Add-on "individual Custom Posts."
      2. Create Memberships for Each Course or for Multiple Courses.
      3. Use Protection Rules to Hide Courses Reserved for Members.
      4. Create Sales Pages separately for each course outside CoursePress Pro that directs people to purchase the correct membership.

So, you CAN actually use them together, but some very minor changes would need to be made to CoursePress Pro to allow it to work combined with extra setup by the admin.

Now if you really want to get fancy, you could actually do some extra things when someone checks "I will manage access via Membership 2 Protection Rules" like:

1. Automatically create separate sales pages based on the CoursePress Pro information that links to the correct membership to purchase so the admin doesn't have to manually do that.
      2. or change the buy links on existing pages to redirect to the membership purchase page instead of the MarketPlace purchase page.
      3. or allow the admin to change the buy link redirect so it goes to the URL of the admin's choice (the sales page of his choosing).

But really, the only thing that needs to be changed is removing the pricing information, at the bare minimum. Everything else could be worked around, although it would be more work than it needs to be.

I don't see how the whole CoursePress Pro plugin has to be rewritten just to get rid of the pricing information, or change where the buy link redirects to.

• Milan

Hello WisTex

Hope you are well today and won't mind me chiming here. :slight_smile:

My colleague Predrag meant to say, this will require custom amount of work to be done not rewriting of whole plugin. And I guess Predrag already reviewed it and it seems to him that custom amount of work is not tiny or small that we can offer you. But experience developer or our Job Portal will be sufficient if you give one of that option try.

Cheers,
    Milan

• WisTex

I am making a suggestion on how to improve your product. The change is actually pretty trivial. I am a bit surprised that you have no interest in improving your products.

I'm sure I will find the file where I can comment out "Price: FREE" on my own. I don't really need to pay someone to delete a couple lines in your code.

I can understand if you said you don't like the idea, or you don't have time to do that now, or you have other priorities, or whatever. But to tell me you won't even consider a possible improvement to your software leaves me surprised and disappointed. Especially when I told you how you could do it with a minimal amount of coding.

• WisTex

If you just want to fix your installation, it is super easy:

You can eliminate the price on the course summary pages by doing the following:

In wp-content\plugins\coursepress\includes\templates\single-course-before-details.php change the following:

<?php echo do_shortcode( '[course_cost]' ); ?>

to

<?php /* echo do_shortcode( '[course_cost]' ); */ ?>

If you want to get rid of the price everywhere, you can actually disable the shortcode for that.

In \wp-content\plugins\coursepress\includes\classes\class.shortcodes.php find the following code around line 839 in function course_cost:

<div class="course-cost course-cost-<?php echo $course_id; ?> <?php echo $class; ?>">
       <?php if ( ! empty( $label ) ) : ?><<?php echo $label_tag; ?> class="label"><?php echo $label ?><?php echo $label_delimeter; ?></<?php echo $label_tag; ?>><?php endif; ?><?php echo $content; ?>
    </div>

and comment out the code like this:

<!--
    <div class="course-cost course-cost-<?php echo $course_id; ?> <?php echo $class; ?>">
       <?php if ( ! empty( $label ) ) : ?><<?php echo $label_tag; ?> class="label"><?php echo $label ?><?php echo $label_delimeter; ?></<?php echo $label_tag; ?>><?php endif; ?><?php echo $content; ?>
    </div>
    -->

This will effectively eliminate all pricing from displaying for your courses.

Then do the following:

1. Mark all courses as Free in CoursePress Pro.
    2. Turn on Membership Add-on "individual Custom Posts."
    3. Create Memberships for Each Course or for Multiple Courses.
    4. Use Protection Rules to Hide Courses Reserved for Members.
    5. Create Sales Pages separately for each course outside CoursePress Pro that directs people to purchase the correct membership.

You can now ignore MarketPlace, and instead use Membership and CoursePress Pro together.

If you wanted to give people this option for all installations in the future, a checkbox could be added to Step 6 on /wp-admin/admin.php?page=course_details and instead of commenting out the code in class.shortcodes.php, we could add an if then statement. That way, no code has to be changed by the user to use CoursePress Pro and Membership together.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello WisTex,

I hope you're well today!

You can now ignore MarketPlace, and instead use Membership and CoursePress Pro together.

This was actually one of the options that my colleague Predrag suggested initially and this can be achieved without changing a single line of CoursePress Pro code. Let me please describe the process one again in "steps" :slight_smile:

1. Set up all the courses
    2. Make sure that the courses are set as FREE (not paid); you're not required to make courses paid :slight_smile:
    3. Follow the steps you outlined here:

1. Mark all courses as Free in CoursePress Pro.
    2. Turn on Membership Add-on "individual Custom Posts."
    3. Create Memberships for Each Course or for Multiple Courses.
    4. Use Protection Rules to Hide Courses Reserved for Members.
    5. Create Sales Pages separately for each course outside CoursePress Pro that directs people to purchase the correct membership.

This would be the same setup that you described (and you may also create separate "landing/sales" pages for particular memberships) with only exception of "Price: Free" label being displayed.

I believe Predrag didn't address this issue because you didn't mention it at first :slight_smile: However, in my opinion the simpler and much safer way would be to use just CSS rules to hide that label. This would also "survive" any plugin update.

Here's an example of such CSS:

/* on courses list and single course description */
    .course-cost {display:none;}

I hope that helps :slight_smile:

Have a nice day!
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.