Membership to Membership 2 Compatibility

I am currently a strong believer in the original Membership plugin. My site does OK monetarily by offering packages to users that have different levels of access to my products. As one example:
Package 1: A subset of products
Package 2: Another subset of products
Package 3: Contents of both package 1 and package 2

My products are provided in ZIP format, and are protected by the Membership plugin.

What will I need to do in order to upgrade to Membership 2?
After the upgrade, will I then have the ability to assign multiple packages per user instead of having blanket packages like Package 3 from above?
Will I also be able to sell, and protect the downloadable content (ZIP file), of a single post/page?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Anthony,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Upgrade from Membership to Membership 2 Pro should be pretty much "painless". There's a simple setup wizard an an option to import data.

You will also be able to keep the same level of protection and there's an option (enable the "Multiple membership" add-on at "Membership 2" -> "Add-ons" page, once installed) that will allow your users to join more than one membership at the same time.

There's also a choice of membership types, including standard memberships and "drip content" memberships. Both single and recurring (subscription-based) payments are available.

Taking into account that we're talking here of a live site and a running business, my suggestion would be to make a full copy of your site under another URL (e.g. sub folder) and perform upgrade there first. Then get familiar with new Membership 2 (it's interface and usage philosophy is a bit different), adjust it to your needs and replicate the same procedure on live site (making a backup of DB first).

I think this way you should be up and running with a new Membership 2 Pro in no time and I think you may find it easier to use and more universal.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Anthony,

Thanks for your response!

I haven't notice before that you have "single" membership. I think though we can find a workaround for this :slight_smile:

I'm glad to tell you that your account has been temporary extended and you're fully eligible to download and install Membership 2.

Feel free to make a copy of your site and on this copy upgrade to Membership 2 (the best way would be to do it via WPMU DEV Dashboard). This will not affect your live site and won't overlap Membership 1.

While testing, don't hesitate to ask questions in case you need my assistance. And once you're done, you can safely perform an update on your live site.

The only "drawback" here is that I had to cancel your current subscription to extend your access (I know that sounds weird) so before expiration/renewal (Aug 19th) you'll need to purchase a new one Hopefully Membership 2 Pro or maybe more...? :slight_smile:

And, another great question, if I then setup, say, 10 posts/pages whose content is subscription-base, can users then upgrade 9 of those to Package 3?

This gets me confused a bit. With Membership 2 you can create for example 2 memberships and allow users to join selected one or both. There's also a "Protection Rules" settings page where you simply assign a membership to a content, so only the members of this membership are allowed to access this content.

For example:

- page 1 - Everybody (meaning that it's public)
    - page 2 - Membership A
    - page 3 - Membership B
    - page 4 - Membership A, Membership B

This is the scenario where
    - page 1 will be accessible by anyone (including non-registered, non-logged in visitors)
    - page 2 will be accessible only for users with Membership 1 (but not visitors and Membership 2)
    - page 3 will be accessible only by users with Membership 2 (but not visitors and Membership 1)
    - page 4 will be accessible by users with any of these two memberships (but not visitors).

In the other words:

- visitors will only see page 1
    - Membership 1 will see page 2 and 4

I think you got a point. Furthermore, user with Membership 1 will be able to signup for Membership 2 and gain access to the pages that were only visible to Membership 2.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Anthony G. Cyphers

Relating to packages, though, I'd like to have their subscription cancel and a new subscription be started if they are upgrading. Essentially what I'm looking for is a tiered approach where I have 10 products (able to be purchased separately), 5 of them would fall under "Package A", and the other 5 under "Package B". Both "A" and "B" are then children of "Package C". What I'd like to do is have some way for a user to start with a single product purchase (in the form of a page/post/whatever), then if they feel so inclined they can upgrade to "Package A" and receive all of the other products in that package. At a future time, they can also then upgrade to "Package C".

I really think that Upgrade Routing would be a major addition, but would be incredibly useful (at least in my scenario, I suppose).

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Anthony,

Thanks for this explanation!

Now as you've made things that clear I think I over complicated stuff :slight_smile:

What you're wishing to achieve would be a basic feature of Membership 2 and there's no need for "Multiple Membership" add-on enabled then.

Here's my idea (an example):

- Membership A for $1 gives access to page 1a
    - Membership B for $1 gives access to page 1b
    - Membership C for $2 gives access to page 1a + 1b + page 2
    - Membership C for $5 gives access to all content

Therefore user can start with Membership A and he/she is able to upgrade anytime to gain access to more pages.

Hence the "protection rule overlap". With Membership 2 one page/post/etc can be covered by more than one membership and it makes setting such an "upgrade routing" quite easy :slight_smile:

I hope this helps!

• Anthony G. Cyphers

OK, I have a copy of my site running with Membership Pro 2. Few questions.

1. ) What exactly is the plugin requesting in regards to the PayPal Standard Gateway's "Payment button label or URL". I'd obviously like this to not use the standard PayPal button, as it's extraordinarily ugly.

2.) When attempting to test using the PayPal Sandbox, I received a white page with all of the request data. This was still under a PayPal URL, but nonetheless I'm hoping something similar won't happen when going live.

3.) The account page looks horrible out-of-the-box. Do you guys have some sample CSS laying around that can get me rolling?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Anthony,

Mind if I jump in here :slight_smile:

1. ) What exactly is the plugin requesting in regards to the PayPal Standard Gateway's "Payment button label or URL". I'd obviously like this to not use the standard PayPal button, as it's extraordinarily ugly.

You can change the label of your button there, for example enter "Pay Now" to show on your button, and you can further style the button using CSS.

2.) When attempting to test using the PayPal Sandbox, I received a white page with all of the request data. This was still under a PayPal URL, but nonetheless I'm hoping something similar won't happen when going live.

Could you report to us if this is still happening after you have moved to new installation and we would be happy to investigate this further as you shouldn't be seeing white page with sandbox account.
    It might be that paypal sandbox was having temporary issues, I had all kind of issues with sandbox account last few months, regardless of the plugin I was using.

3.) The account page looks horrible out-of-the-box. Do you guys have some sample CSS laying around that can get me rolling?

Unfortunately we don't, but once your site is up you can send us some screenshots and descriptions on how do you want your page to look and if it's not too much complicated we would be happy to assist you with the changes :slight_smile:

Just for clarification, I've decided that it's time to rebuild my site from scratch. Once the rest of the site is complete, I'll be looking to import all of my old Membership data to the new site, and convert to Membership Pro 2. What would be the best process for this?

Membership 1 doesn't have export function, there are however few ways you can do this.
    One would be to use our Snapshot Pro plugin to export your DB tables and import them on new site.
    Other way would be to update to Membership 2 which has export/import function and then export current settings to import them in new site.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Anthony G. Cyphers

OK, just now getting around to this. When I attempt to import from Membership to Membership 2, it hangs in the browser and Apache shows the following error:

[Fri Oct 02 17:14:59 2015] [error] PHP Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/model/class-ms-model-import.php on line 484, referer: /wp-admin/admin.php?page=membership2-settings&tab=import
    [Fri Oct 02 17:14:59 2015] [error] PHP Fatal error: Class 'MS_Gateway_Admin' not found in /home/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/model/class-ms-model-import.php on line 494, referer: /wp-admin/admin.php?page=membership2-settings&tab=import

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Anthony!

I'm sorry for the delay here. It's great that you've managed to solve the import issue but of course I agree that this shouldn't require such a complex action from you. That said, I will try to replicate the issue on my end and diagnose it a bit further and I'll ask plugin's developer for help.

That said, please keep an eye on that thread for further updates and information!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Anthony,

I have just asked one of the devs via our internal communication to update me on this as soon as possible. I know that developers are working on a lot of issues starting from plugins updates and fixes, ending on various issue reported by the members of our community, therefore it may take a bit more time. I sincerely apologize for this on-going delay on both threads and hopefully this will not take much longer.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.