Membership update: content unprotected and gateways inactive

I just updated my Membership (premium) plugin to 3.0.2 on a WP 3.4.1 site and now:

- all my content is unprotected
- users are being redirected to a different downloads folder
- the payment gateways are inactive

Is this "expected behavior" when updating? Can you point me to some instructions on how to remedy this, and prevent it going forward?

• Rogier
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Updated to 3.1 and that didn't change anything. I did find out that the users aren't redirected to a another download folder, but rather that the url masking isn't working anymore. So they are not being taken to the real location of the file, but rather to the "location" of the url mask - which generates either a "not found" or a "no access" message.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @Rogier,

That's definitely not typical behavior during an upgrade. Could you try going through all of the options pages and simply hitting "save" again?

Also could I get a link to an area of content that is showing that shouldn't be?

Membership solutions are tricky sometimes as we can't see how the rules are setup. It may require that you send some login credentials for me to take a look "under the hood" and see what's going on.

Let me know if re-saving the options helped. Thanks!

• Rogier

Hi Mason,

So far I've found that basically with the upgrade my custom shortcodes stopped working. I can see a list of the codes I've created, but apparently the option to edit these and or create new ones has been removed.

I can re-wrap all paid content in the new default access level shortcodes, but unfortunately that means I need to duplicate the content in every post. I cannot do this:

[level-monthly-subscribers]
    [level-yearly-subscribers]
    My paid content
    [/level-yearly-subscribers]
    [/level-monthly-subscribers]

Because that means only those who are both monthly and yearly subscribers can access the encapsulated content. Of course no one is such a subscriber, because these are just two types of subscription plans to access the same content.

Anyways, I'd be happy to send you the login details, etc. - but I'm not sure where to send it? You can contact me at rogier@almine.net

• Rogier

Also, to be sure, I now have no way to edit shortcodes - as for example indicated in the Membership screenshots (see attachment). It's like my once created shortcodes are provided as a kind of legacy thing, but cannot be edited or deleted or added to.

• Rogier

Hi Mason, you're the only one that has responded to this, and I appreciate that, but other than that I want to clarify whether this is what $159 per every 3 months is buying me for support? I'm only paying because of the Membership plugin and yet three days into this issue I am still none the wiser. Meanwhile my site is completely unprotected, my original shortcodes don't work and I have no way to edit them or create new ones.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Rogier,

Apologies for the delay things tend to slow down a bit here on the weekends.

I'm marking this as a bug and informing the developer of it so he should be along shortly. Until then you may want to downgrade to the previous version so that your custom shortcodes take affect.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Spliting my response up into a couple of replies.

I just updated my Membership (premium) plugin to 3.0.2 on a WP 3.4.1 site and now:

Where on 3.1.2 now - so you are a good few versions behind. Version 3.1 changed the functionality for the downloads protection.

Also, to be sure, I now have no way to edit shortcodes

That functionality was removed from version 3.

It's like my once created shortcodes are provided as a kind of legacy thing, but cannot be edited or deleted or added to.

Yes, that's exactly what they are now.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I can re-wrap all paid content in the new default access level shortcodes, but unfortunately that means I need to duplicate the content in every post.

Version 3.1 introduced a concept called not shortcodes. If you have a stranger level, say for example called "stranger" - then you could wrap protected content in the [not-stranger] shortcode so that only signed up members can view it, but strangers can't.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I did find out that the users aren't redirected to a another download folder, but rather that the url masking isn't working anymore.

3.1 changed the download protection to only protect that content which is in a protected group - you can see the changes in the media / downloads option tab where you can select the type of protection you want now (there are now 3 different options), so not all file names will be masked, only those that need to be and to the level you want - including filename masking now.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.