Membership - user accounts accross subsites

I have have the membership plugin installed and it appears to work. I'm trying to get user accounts to be persistent across subsites. I have updated the plugin code for this. The wp_options table still have the M_installed option but I wasn't sure if that was a requirement or an optional task if I had already setup subsites prior to changing the plugin code.

When I created the membership levels and subscriptions those are the same across all sites. However, since permissions are tied to rules based on shortcodes and categories, I am duplicating a lot of this across each site. I'm just want to make sure that this is the right process and that I'm on the right path. If I create a new site, then I have to duplicate all site categories, shortcodes and probably other customization settings for membership settings to stay persistent across all subsites.

Any help making sure I'm on the right path is greatly appreciated. I know I'm getting really close!
Thanks,
Tom

• DavidM

Hi Tom,

I believe those rules (categories and shortcodes) may be based on ids which wouldn't necessarily persist from site to site. I'll check on how that all works as I haven't yet tried to restrict categories in a global setup like that.

I'll check on that and report back here but please feel free to try out some combinations of sitewide rules as well and let us know if you experience any issues with that. There may be some useful workarounds we can find.

Thanks,
    David

• thoward

David,
    It looks like certain aspects of membership levels and subscriptions do get automatically included in subsites, but not the details. So, the names of the membership levels all show up on new sites as they are created and the subscription names show up. However, the rules and other details do not come over. So, for each site created I still have to go through a similar setup process every time. I guess that's the way it is for now. However, it would be great if I could great a subsite "template" so every time I create a new one, I could import the subsite settings and know that permissions are set up correctly and consistently across all sites. Or set permissions at one level and set those permissions to cascade down or take precedence across the entire network. If I create a subsite for every city in the country, then this is going to be a very tedious process. Luckily I only have 10 cities to worry about right now. Hopefully I can find a simpler solution before I have to go nationwide! Thanks!
    Tom

• DavidM

Hi Tom,

I'll have to verify the rest as I go through testing some of these things myself, but can you try using a Administration - Main Menu rule, perhaps making sure something like the Tools menu is ticked, and seeing if that rule shows up the same on sub-sites?

In testing I can definitely see the ticked items from site to site, so I'm wondering if this is currently setup properly on your site.

Also, it may be possible to use New Blog Templates to ensure each site on your network gets the same general rules to start with.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template

The great thing about New Blog Templates is that it can not just save posts and pages in a template, it saves the ids themselves, so the post and page ids end up being the same from site to site.

That may come in especially handy in setting up Membership on a network-wide basis.

Thanks,
    David