Membership. User cannot access protected content.

One of my members cannot access protected content on my site. I tried to delete this user and add them again, but the issue still exists.
All other users works fine. During the chat we create another user without this issue. This is the default membership.

• Andrew

Hi team - I don't know if I impressed the urgency of this issue upon you. This website runs a competition that starts in about 12 hours. Now that the members are starting to log in and submit their tips for the competition, many are starting to find out that they cannot access the page they need to.

In case you haven't already taken a snapshot of the data, I will back it up now. Then I have to delete the user and create them again in order for them to use the site. This is not ideal, and I currently have 800 members. I'm concerned that I'm going to get a large number of these requests over the next 12 hours.

Can I get some sort of update? Has this been looked at since I opened the ticket? Has it been seen before? What do you suspect?

• Lindeni Mahlalela

Hello Andrew

I hope you are doing great today. I am sorry for the delayed response from our side and sorry for any inconvenience caused.

I have logged in to the website with the account you provided to my colleagues and I was able to see the content of the page reported inaccessible by the member, I didn't see the Membership protection message.

Then I have to delete the user and create them again in order for them to use the site. This is not ideal, and I currently have 800 members. ... I'm concerned that I'm going to get a large number of these requests over the next 12 hours

Did you end up resolving this by deleting the member's account and recreating it again? I know it will be very difficult if you receive a lot of this kind of requests but we are here to help resolve any issues. Since the reported account seems to be resolved, is there any other account that this is having the same issue.

Unfortunately, we cannot see if there are currently any accounts with the same problem, so we are not able to reproduce the issue on your site, so if it happens again on anther account just let us know and we will have a look as soon as possible.

I hope to hear back from you as soon as possible.

Have a nice day.
    Lindeni

• Andrew

The issue has not been resolved.

Over the weekend, the issue continued to pop until I "fixed" it by no longer using the Default membership level. I assigned all members to an additional membership level, and they were then able to access the pages.

However, the issue I reported last Thursday remains:

There is a default membership level - Default Competition - which everyone who has an account on the website should be a member of.

On the members' pages in the Membership Access section, I've enabled protection, and switched on the Default membership level.

Now, when I log in as a member that only has access to this membership level, they get the message:

"The content you are trying to access is only available to members. Sorry."

I just tested this with the account "wildchild2" (I had to reset the password - but please feel free to reset it again yourself so that you can login and experience the same).

Please confirm you are seeing this issue?

• Lindeni Mahlalela

Hello Andrew

I hope you are doing great today. Thank you for the feedback and for your clarity. I have checked the website and the user account having issues, and I also confirmed by creating a new account and ran some tests with it.

I think according to the usage documentation of Membership 2, this is the intended behaviour for the "Default Membership", here is a quote from the usage documentation:

4. Default Membership: This is similar to the System Membership that is added by default. It’s a membership for any registered/logged in user that is not currently the member of any other membership plan. Like the guest membership, there can only be one default membership on your site.

This means, the default membership is for logged in users that have not subscribed to any other membership yet, which means once they subscribe to one membership they will then have the privileges of the new membership they subscribed to. So this means the default membership can only be used to serve content to subscribers that have not subscribed to any other memberships, this could be for giving them access to content not available to Guests/Logged out users and this is where you can offer limited content and sell upgrades to the other plans if they still have not subscribed but once they subscribe to a specific membership then they have access to more content than the limited default membership.

The member, wildchild2, has a specific membership which means they are no longer affected by the "Default Membership". I have verified this by signing up a new user, immediately after registration I can see the content but once I add the 'SBK Classic Competition' to the member's account and refresh the /motogp page, then I see the content restriction message.

Here is how you should work this out to ensure the correct members have access to the page '/motogp':

1. If you want the page to be accessible by all membership levels, then edit the page and update it so that you have all the memberships selected under "Membership Protection". This will ensure that all logged in members have access to this page regardless of their membership.

2. If you want this page to be accessible by members of specific memberships levels then edit the page and only select the memberships that should access the page. So if you don't want all the memberships to access this page, then create a separate page for the memberships that you don't want to access this page and add the relevant content they should access on the new page.

According to my understanding, you want members of the "SBK Classic Competition" to have access to this page as well. If this is the case you will have to follow should follow the first point above by also selecting the "SBK Classic Competition" membership under the "Membership Access" box. After doing this, login as a member of the "SBK Classic Competition" membership and you should see the content. I have confirmed this on my side, selecting the membership gives access, deselecting it removes access.

So, in summary. This is the intended behaviour of Membership 2 Pro regarding the use of the "Default Membership", this membership is only for logged in users that have not yet subscribed to any other membership, once they subscribe to another membership then the rules of the Default Membership no longer applies to them, meaning, if you want them to still have access after subscribing to other memberships then you must add those memberships as well under Membership Access to give them access to that page.

I hope this makes sense. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns and we will be more than happy to assist in any way possible.

Have a nice day.
    Lindeni

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.