Membership v1.0.5

Hi gang

Well, you asked and we listened, so I think we can call this release the "most wanted so far" edition.

WordPress Membership plugin version 1.0.5 is now available from the usual location:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership

As well as a few bug fixes for issues that have been highlighted on this forum, I've added yet more hooks and filters to enable us to release a lot more add-ons over the coming weeks and months.

On top of that the main updates for this release are:

1. Included all current add-ons in the main package – all the add-ons we currently have available are included in the main zip file now and are installed by default.

2. Payment gateways – Mohanjith has done some fantastic work and developed new payment gateways for Authorize.net and 2checkout – they are listed in the payment gateways page.

3. Simple Invite codes – I've created and included a simple invites add-on that allows you to create a list of invites and only allow registrations that have the codes entered – it can be enabled via the membership options page.

4. Message widgets – I've added two widgets that allow you to display text (and html) on your site if the current user is either not logged in or not a member, or a member on a specific level / subscription. They will display nothing if the criteria isn't met, so you can add as many widgets as you want to a sidebar and, effectively, only the one relevant to the user will show.

5. Decide if a user account that doesn't complete a signup / pick a subscription should be deactivated or not – the default is to deactivate the account, there is a new option on the, well, options page that allows you to change that.

• BlueEyes
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hello Barry,

This is a great new! Congratulations. I want and need to install it.

Before to proceed I have a question :

On a Network, a Multisites (and BP) with subdomains, if I want install it only on one blog in subdomain, should I install all the folder “membership” (including one folder and 2 files) inside the “wp-content/plugins” ? Or should I install it inside wp-content/mu-plugins but activate it only on the blog concerned ?

Thanks for your answer

Because I’ve tried already install others versions few days ago and it’s was not sucessfull.

• Hiranthi
    • Recruit

Awesome! :slight_smile:

What would also totally rock is if custom post types support would be included. That way we could use it in combination with CustomPress.

Oh and is it possible to change the role of a user when they subscribe? (wouldn’t need it built in, I could code it myself).

• drdave
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Barry I tried this on my test site and noticed that the buddypress pages ACTIVITY MEMBERS GROUPS BLOGS are still accessible to visitors though I add them to Edit Levels Negative Rules with their boxes checked. Is this supposed to be fixed? The pages I add to negative rules work fine but buddypress pages do not.

I use WordPress v 3.0.2 Buddypress 1.2.6 and bp-daily 3.9.2

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

, if I want install it only on one blog in subdomain, should I install all the folder “membership” (including one folder and 2 files) inside the “wp-content/plugins”

Yes

Or should I install it inside wp-content/mu-plugins but activate it only on the blog concerned ?

You can’t activate plugins only on a single blog if it is placed in mu-plugins – it’s automatically activated on all of them.

• BlueEyes

You can’t activate plugins only on a single blog if it is placed in mu-plugins – it’s automatically activated on all of them.

Yes, of course. I should say “activate on the Network”. Understood. Thanks You, Barry.

• georgef
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@Barry awesome thanks. Is there anything you can suggest as a temporary solution that will flow into this addon?

e.g. If I open up my new membership now with the membership plugin and manually activate supporters, would there be a way to track that down the road when the addon arrives?

Or would they have to sign up with the addon already in place to make it work?

• drdave
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Barry

I think that the Invite Code is a great idea but it is bypassed when someone uses the default buddypress membership registration.

So I have Membership plugin v 1.0.5 installed with buddypress 1.2.6 and bp-daily 3.9.2 and I hid the buddypress registration (Create an Account link) page with .css display: none; but of course they can simply bypass it with /register in the url.

When tested I see the the Invite Code * but without entering anything in that box and I was still able to sign up.

I am using my own [subscriptionform] shortcode btw. The one that comes with membership plugin and where I want my users to signup.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks Barry and btw awesome job you’re doing!

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I think that the Invite Code is a great idea but it is bypassed when someone uses the default buddypress membership registration.

You need to disable user registration in your system – membership ignores that setting and so should be the only method left that allows you to register for your system.

• drdave
    • The Crimson Coder

@Barry Got it thanks but it appears my invite codes can be reused. I already used the same code several times with different signups. I think that will cause security issues. All users have to do is share the code with their friends, etc.

Or what am I missing?

Alternatively, I can manually remove the codes once used but it just adds to my daily work. At first this won’t be a problem but as my network grows it would seem to be such a task.

I guess maybe something to consider in the next release?

• drdave
    • The Crimson Coder

Sorry for been so handicapped but line 83 I marked below. Am I pushing that line down to 84 in order to insert your entire code above?

if(!in_array( $thekey, $codes )) {

$error[] = __(‘Sorry, but we do not seem to have that code on file, please try another.’,’membership’:wink:;

} [This is line 83]

}

return $error;

}

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Change 83 from

}

to

} else {

and carry on with the rest of the code – so whole if will be:

$error[] = __('Sorry, but we do not seem to have that code on file, please try another.','membership');

} else {

if($Msi_options == 'yes') {

$key = array_search( $thekey, $codes);

if($key !== false) {

unset($codes[$key]);

$Msi_options = implode("n", $codes);

update_option('membership_simpleinvite_options', $Msi_options);

}

}

}

• drdave
    • The Crimson Coder

Got error here is the code from line 83 down…

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home2/main/public_html/test/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/plugins/simple.invitecodes.php on line 104

} else {

$error[] = __(‘Sorry, but we do not seem to have that code on file, please try another.’,’membership’:wink:;

} else {

if($Msi_options == ‘yes’:wink: {

$key = array_search( $thekey, $codes);

if($key !== false) {

unset($codes[$key]);

$Msi_options = implode(“n”, $codes);

update_option(‘membership_simpleinvite_options’, $Msi_options);

}

}

}

}

return $error;

}

add_filter( ‘membership_subscription_form_before_registration_process’, ‘M_AddSimpleInviteFieldProcess’ );

• coloradocolin

I am having a difficult time with this plugin and dont know where to look to figure out how to solve the problem. The documentation page is pretty vague. I followed the installation instructions that were there very carefully, but no matter what I have tried, I cant get the plugin to work.

This is my experience: A user signs up using the subscription form. Then selects the subscription they want (i have it set up for either lifetime membership or monthly) at which point they are taken to the paypal page. Paypal accepts their payment. When the user returns to the site, they are unable to login. They get the message: “sorry, this account is not active”.

When I go in as administrator it doesnt recognize the purchase at all. If I filter my members it says no user found. When I look at the gateway tab, it says no subscriptions, be patient. BUT, when I manually scroll through I find that the persons registration went through, but no membership subscription as been activated.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

When the user returns to the site, they are unable to login. They get the message: “sorry, this account is not active”.

Sounds like you are having API issues – what are the messages in the PayPal API log (assuming you are using the paypal gateway)?

• swingjazz
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Barry,

I have standard WordPress 3.0.3 (not Multi Site)

BuddyPress 1.2.6

Membership 1.0.5

I have installed Membership 1.0.5 many times, but still I can not create Membership Levels.

After I created a new level, always appear “No Membership levels where found, click above to add one”

Please help me to solve this problem

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I have WP 3.0.3, installed activated plugin but I do not see the Membership menu

Have you followed the part of the instructions that start “Important note regarding default ‘admin’ account:”?

Namely:

For security, the membership plugin is set up to provide it’s membership options only to the default admin account in WordPress on activation. For many reasons, you may be using an account other than ‘admin’. To use an alternate name just log in via FTP and look for the following file:

membership/membershipincludes/includes/membership-config.php

You’ll want to edit the file so that line 23 contains your admin username. Save the file with your changes and you should be good to go.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@swingjazz – never used yahoo hosting, so not sure what control panel they use – I assume they don’t give you ssh access to the server?

What database interface are you using? phpmyadmin or something else? Can you look in the wp_options table on your database and see if there are any options starting with M_ or membership_ in there?

• Hiranthi
    • Recruit

I have two levels: Premium and Standard, the Standard is restricted from 2 Custom Post Type menu-items and the Premium gets access to them.

I currently have 1 user (next to my admin account), which has no subscription. I have Standard selected as the default user-level, but the account does have access to both the Custom Post Type menu-items.

• captainyee
    • New Recruit

Thanks Barry.

I actually need a plugin to do the below. Can this or another plugin do this?

Members (free) login to an area where they can download files or view content and is closed to others. So basically, I would like to use the WP login to give file and content access to members.

Thanks Barry!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

@captainyee you could accomplish this by putting a conditional statement like is_logged_in() in your page template.

Of course, you could also use the membership plugin to accomplish this task. Just create a free level and subscription. You can add all current site subscribers to this list and then future new subscribers will be added to the subscription automatically.

Thanks!

• heuristocrat
    • New Recruit

So far so good. This plugin looks amazing and something that will develop farther to satisfy all our needs.

I’m looking for some good info on how to use this with a second site. We are still mastering it for one site but have another that I’d love to integrate rather than create a separate install for. Both sites are normal WP sites that I host and not WPMU or yet BuddyPress.

So is there an easy way to figure out how I might migrate my standalone sites to buddypress and use the membership plugin to support subscriptions that can work across sites?

Specifically I’d offer individual ones and upgraded versions that would include memberships on the other sties. I know this is or will be a big common problem so am hoping someone has a link to a good resource on it.

Kris

• christoschiotis
    • New Recruit

Hi,

i just installed the membership plugin and i have two questions:

1. Is it possible not to register a user at all, if he doesn’t complete the payment?

(because right now, after the Registration Step1, and before the subscription options, is already registered.

{“Enable incomplete signup accounts” is unchecked, “Anyone can register” is unchecked}

2. Is it possible to have two members as administrators of this plugin?

wordpress 3.0.3

thanks a lot in advance,

Chris

• coloradocolin

Can anyone out there help me find out where to find the PayPal API log? I am still trying to get this issue solved.

For reference: Users complete the signup process and pay through the paypal gateway, but the plugin does not recognize the signups.

• shirtandsimple

is there any way to have this plugin send out emails asking members to renew their account when using the Authorize.net API? Or how about an option for them to select reoccurring billing using Authorize.net. I’m not sure how this plugin currently works with the Authorize.net setting. Once they pay and sign up for a ‘term’ of a membership, what happens at the end of that term? Do they have to wait for the term to expire and then sign up again?

• boomset
    • New Recruit

ARB works with AIM so the account should auto-bill based on the membership interval and subscription settings if the inputs of the ARBCreateSubscriptionRequest are integrated. You need only to activate ARB in your authorize.net account.

However, it doesn’t look these calls are made in the plugin.

What are the issues or limitations that are preventing ARB integration? A one off payment for a membership subscription will be hard to sell to clients.

The workaround: the authorize.net admin will have to log into their authorize.net account and add each account to ARB manually before the subscription length has expired.

• signo
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi, i installed the membership plugin on my test server yesterday and i got the most strange behavior, while i am signed in as admin everything works fine but once i logout or login as an user with lower credentials my site stops loading the css style sheets. It took me a while to find out it was the membership plugin because i never thought it could be the culprit. I’m using WP 3.1 RC1. and my theme is wpstartbox Any thoughts on what can be causing this?

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

signo, Welcome to wpmudev.

It would be a plus to include a link as well as a check of your webserver’s error logs when asking for help. Most support forums operate in such a manner and it helps those helping you.

My understanding though is plugins may not work with RC and you may have to wait until they release a proper release. Be happy to help though get you going if I can.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

I’m dropping the ‘sticky’ from this thread as it’s getting rather long and several different subjects are being discussed.

If you have a question on Membership relating to something specific that isn’t being discussed in another thread, feel free to open a new one.

thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.