Membership version 2.1 beta 1

Hi gang
Attached to this post is the first beta of version 2.1 of the Membership plugin.

There have been quite a few upgrades in this version and some other tweaks and placeholders for additional functionality which will come in later betas.

Key changes are:
- Switched from drop down subscription prices to allowing prices to be directly entered.
- Added plugins section so you can activate membership add-ons / plugins on a blog/site by blog/site basis
- Improved the global tables system / functionality to allow for a single set of settings to control a network of blogs/sites.

It's recommended that you play with this on a local/development install initially. Any issues, let me know below.

Rgds
Barry

• BobWalsh
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks Barry! With this build would you recommend Member>pings or the Mailchimp WPMU plugin for simple "get a new member, they are added to the newMember MailChimp list" functionality?

And would it be a bad move to use this beta on a new public WP?

Cheers,
    Bob

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

This version is still missing the user_email parameter in the pings (didn't pick up that thread until after this release), so the next beta will have that field added back in then we can start putting together some pings for aweber and mailchimp.

I would suggest doing a full run through of a purchase with your setup before using in public - i've tested as much as i can with my setup and it seems to run fine for me - but it's probably safer to test it yourself first as a large amount of the changes in this version are around the signup and subscriptions / pricing areas.

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Barry,

Thanks for adding the user_email parameter in pings to upcoming beta.

Also, could you add %user_id% that is the users id parameter and ...

Here is the fix for the issue in wordpress 3.2 rc1
    in class.membership.php line 23
    Copy over this line
    parent::WP_User( $id, $name );
    with this
    parent::__construct( $id, $name );

The fix is backward compatible with current wordpress as well. Seen this problem with a lot of plugins and 3.2 is very close.
    Here is some reading as to why the issue? But you probably know that already :slight_smile:
    http://php.net/manual/en/language.oop5.decon.php

Regards,
    Jonathan

• antKat
    • HummingBird

Hi Barry,
    I will start working with the new Beta - but my first question is based on your new features -
    My understanding of the differences between Supporter and Membership is that Supporter provides a means to upgrade blogs and Membership provides a means to upgrade access to content and features. Are you beginning to merge Supporter functionality over to Membership with the plugin section? Please clarify.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Are you beginning to merge Supporter functionality over to Membership with the plugin section?

No, I think you may have confused the term plugin when I mentioned it - this is referring to membership plugins / add-ons - previously any code placed in the membershipincludes/plugins directory was loaded when the membership plugin was loaded - now you can selectively activate bits of functionality (e.g. the repair functionality doesn't really need to be active all the time - so just enable when you need it, then disable when you've finished). It also means that if you allow site/blog owners to run their own membership sites on your system, you can only enable a small number of the plugins/add-ons and then can offer others as part of a supporter plan.

• John
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

The plugins section is fantastic!

A couple of thoughts....
    Could the plugins have a small description? Like regular WP plugins have?

Spelling error on the Authorise.net gateway by S H Mohanjith (Incsub) -- Should be Authorize with a 'z'

thanks

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Spelling error on the Authorise.net gateway by S H Mohanjith (Incsub) -- Should be Authorize with a 'z'

Ha ha, that'll be my english spelling :p
    Description for the plugins, no prob will add it in for the next beta. Keep the suggestions coming :slight_smile:

• Jonathan

Would love to find out if concurrent memberships / user can purchase multiple active subscriptions and if it's going to be easier to do in the next release... to quote you :slight_smile:

I have the code to do this already available - so I'll put together a quick quide for how to accomplish that / and maybe put it in as an add-on for the plugin itself.

source: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-concurrent-memberships

As I would love to offer multiple concurrent subscriptions :slight_smile:

That's all for now - laugh.

Sidenote: I really love this plugin (grin)
    Jonathan

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

So the extra.shortcodes plugin subscription details doesn't return the subscription description.

Should do - I'm using it on a live site (shhh http://staypress.com/purchase-staypress/ ) :disappointed: hmm - will have to take a look and make sure I didn't mess it up, also the purchase button will be being added for beta 2 as well.

Also, is concurrent memberships / multiple active subscription purchases going to be easier to do in the next release... to quote you :slight_smile:

Yep, I have that already implemented on that site (above) as well :slight_smile: so that's coming across too...

But the most exciting new stuff I'm keeping quiet about because I know other membership plugin developers are reading this thread :p

• Jonathan

Oops, I edited out, while you posted.

Lol, sorry I edited out the extra.shortcodes bit - when I realized that the site was running the nightly build of wordpress. So it is obviously a wordpress issue :slight_smile:
    My other current wordpress 3.1.3 install works just fine with the shortcode. So no problems. Sorry for the false alarm, and wasting any of your time.

Fantastic to hear about concurrent memberships and the purchase button.
    And the hush hush stuff - I'm hooked, and can't wait.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Do I just replace Membership in plugin with the beta, or is there a better way of upgrading?

Yes, just overwrite the plugin with the new version.

"This key is used to give you access the the members RSS feed, keep it safe and secret."

Thanks will get that changed :slight_smile:

• antKat
    • HummingBird

Barry, I am using a Password on Sign-up plugin; after installing the new Membership Beta, I get the following on a new registration (rather than the activate)
    content/plugins/signup-password/signup-password.php on line 184

Pplease provide fix,fFor now I will deactivate the sign-up plugin to continue -.

• antKat
    • HummingBird

Barry,
    1. In regards to the Password on Signup (WPMUdev plugin), when I deactivated it, it still showed up on the registration form still with the problem above. So I deleted it. Now I still have the Password on Signup data fields on registration form - but now I have the complete registration form. Have you now added Password on Signup as standard on the Membership registration page shortcode?

2. TOS now works!!!! the only problem I see is the text label displays above "Choose a User Name" rather than above the TOS box.

3. Still no "Gimme a Site? Last week during live support session you mentioned that you thought you would be able to include in new Beta. The network registration settings are set to both Sites & User accounts can be registered. Do I need to do anything else to make this happen?

4. I have questions regarding some of the plugins:
    a. What is Capital P rule plugin?
    b. Default Admin Rule plugin? I have site admins to be editors after sign-up rather than admins. What does this rule do?
    c. What is integrated WP rules plugin do?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

content/plugins/signup-password/signup-password.php on line 184

You don't need that plugin if using membership - it already asks for a password on signup.

Still no "Gimme a Site? Last week during live support session you mentioned that you thought you would be able to include in new Beta. The network registration settings are set to both Sites & User accounts can be registered. Do I need to do anything else to make this happen?

It's in the admin area - My Sites page? No?

What is Capital P rule plugin?

If you don't know then you don't need to :slight_smile: It's a filter added by WP pre-3.0, search google for wordpress capital P

Default Admin Rule plugin?

It adds admin rules to the membership plugin, so you can restrict menus, favourites, plugins, etc..

What is integrated WP rules plugin do

It integrates the WP roles with Membership, so a user on a specific level can be set a specific role (subscriber, editor, author, etc...)

• antKat
    • HummingBird

Barry,
    Thanks for the answers above. In regards to the Gimme a Site, I have a previous forum request at:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-and-multisite
    In which I describe that we are providing our new users pre-configured sites (using your blog template program) and these sites are primary compared to membership into our main site. Prior to adding Membership, the sign-up process to get a site is such a breeze but with Membership we need to instruct our users to go to their sites and create a new site - which can be confusing to many of our younger target market. In the linked thread, Mason James suggested the following to my question:
    Mason Thread: "Hiya,

Why can't we just put a couple of links on the second page (completion) of Registration with 2 options
    1. sign in
    2. Start your site (with link to sign-up)

You can do this, but you'll have to edit the plugin in order to get exactly what you want here.

Take a look at membership/membershipincludes/includes/subscription.form.php and membership/membershipincludes/includes/member.form.php

You can add your own custom links by hooking into these lines:

do_action( 'membership_subscription_form_after_paid_subscriptions', $user_id );
    do_action( 'membership_subscription_form_after_subscriptions', $user_id );

There are infinite scenarios for the membership plugin. Honestly, it's been out less than a year - I'd still consider it a new plugin - so I agree there's room for improvement with documentation and even new features/enhancements. Hopefully the above helps ya get what you need in this particular case.

Thanks! " End Mason

When we had the live discussion, I was hoping for this type of solution at sign-up. I am not a programmer, but it looks like Mason's suggestion requires just a few lines of code. I posted this on your developer bulletin board and got one response for 50 hours of programming to accomplish this. My question to you now is:
    1. Is it possible for you to still add in during the sign-up phase? If not,
    2. Does 50 hrs seem reasonable? I can also try posting on WPAnswers but I don't know what is a reasonable time to do this. It seems like it should be less than 1 hr for an expert. What would you specify?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@antkat Version 2.1 is starting to bring back standard WP functions into the signup, this beta (above) has experimental support for things like captcha plugins, and some other things - so we are certainly moving in that direction. There are a few other things that I want to get in, but as this isn't really a common "need" for all sites (certainly not for those providing standard membership / pay to view content) sites, it will more likely be created as an add-on / plugin than being part of the core functionality itself.

As for time, I can't really comment on how long it would take other people to add in that functionality. It wouldn't take me that long, but then i know the plugin inside and out.

• antKat
    • HummingBird

Hi Barry,
    Sorry to hear that. As far as "standard" is concerned, multisite is "standard". So if you start with a standard multisite - you LOSE some "standard" functionality when you add in membership. Again, from what Mason James indicated as a possible fix, it would not take much time as you say. Although what I am requesting is not a custom feature unique to my business but rather a consistency with multisite functionality which WPMUdev specializes, I would be happy to pay to have it included. Posting on the bulletin board has not been working out.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Sorry to hear it won't be part of the core, or sorry that it's being developed as an add-on?
    It may be standard in multi-site, but it isn't in membership sites, which your site becomes when you install the plugin. I have honestly never seen a membership site in the wild which offers it's subscribers a blog - maybe supporter may be the better plugin for your site, as that is aimed more at blog/site owners. Membership is primarily aimed at protecting content, not controlling what content members can create.

• antKat
    • HummingBird

Sorry that it won't be part of the core. Actually I am trying to use both Membership and Supporter. In addition to providing blogs, our main site remains a membership hub and provides resources for the blog owners (we expect different levels of access in the future for a fee to these resources). Also, because we include Friends and social networking, we thought that the Membership will provide a means to find other members but also a little more security for member sites. The fee aspect of Membership, although helpful for our business model in the future, is probably secondary. If there is a simpler method/plugin that you could recommend to achieve goal, please advise. I know that you have added a little integration for Supporter and Membership, therefore, there must be other multisites with the same dilemma.

• vashinue
    • New Recruit

Hi - I just paid and downloaded membership, but it as all kinds of errors that the free one didn't.

1) [subscriptionform] doesn't work on the registration page I set up.
    2) Installation errors found in Membership - Warning: fopen(/home6/asenseo1/public_html/playwondergrow/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershippremium.php) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home6/asenseo1/public_html/playwondergrow/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4284

Warning: fread(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home6/asenseo1/public_html/playwondergrow/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4287

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home6/asenseo1/public_html/playwondergrow/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4290
    The membership plugin version is enabled [Disable it]

3) Clicking "new" in Edit Communications does nothing

HELP.Please. Im desperate

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

You need to deactivate the plugin and remove the membership directory completely. Re-download the premium version and upload that with your FTP programme to the wp-contents/plugins directory, and then activate the plugin again in the plugins page.

Going from lite to premium for this plugin isn't as simple as overwriting the files, as they have different main names and so can get merged.

• eburgeon
    • New Recruit

I can't seem to get the Authorize.net gateway to work properly. I setup the Memberships and then go to test the signup process. Step 1 works great. Then Step 2 asks visitor to Select a subscription. It list out the subscription plans, but there is not button to press to select a plan. Please assist on what I am missing.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Ok, can you check that you have activated the authorize.net plugin, set the gateway up (settings link on the gateway page for that gateway), Activated the authorize.net gateway and then made the relevant levels active, and the subscriptions you want to use active and public?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

The direct entry of prices is the thing I need the most and I am not willing to experience a ton of bugs to just get that one feature.

To be honest, from the testers we've had (and I'm running it on a live site) there aren't many bugs, just missing features.

I'll be running it through a few betas and a release candidate - not for testing purposes, but to get feedback on features and requests for more like you see in the thread above.

2.1 is the start of a big update and will be out (in maybe a reduced format) for WP 3.2, depending on how quickly they release that.

• mlo
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I seem to be running into bugs with everything I install of late, so I may be a bit more hesitant than normal - see other posts. These are very odd bugs in practically every application I have run lately - not just Membership.

Thanks,

MLO

• eburgeon
    • New Recruit

Hi Barry,

I have done the following:

-Activated the authorize.net plugin,
    -Activated the authorize.net gateway
    -made the relevant levels active
    -subscriptions you want to use active and public

The only item I am unclear on is "set the gateway up (settings link on the gateway page for that gateway)", what do you mean by this?

Is there documentation anywhere that walks you through setup authorize.net plugin?

• Jonathan

@eburgeon

I think he means to set up the gateway. Same place you activated the gateway -> Go Edit Gateways -> Authorize.net AIM (hover mouse over) you will see settings | activate <--click settings this, will open settings page where you can enter your Login ID,
    Transaction key, etc

Hope that helps,
    Jonathan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.