Membership vs Pro-Sites For Paid Multisite Network

Hi there,

I am wondering what your opinion is on using Membership instead of Pro-Sites for a paid blogging network. What do you think the pro's and con's are?

I have played around with Pro-Sites quite a bit in the past couple months. The site I plan on creating won't have a DIY sign-up, instead I plan on having the users fill out a form as sort of an "application" to sign up, then I set the site up.

I feel the whole Pro-Sites payment/checkout system is very out-dated and know that with membership I would be able to make a custom pricing table then link each column directly to the associated membership level.

With Pro Sites I can restrict plugins which is handy; however, I plan to take the plugins option completely off the dashboard menu for all admins except myself.

I am just starting to play around with membership now but wanted to see what your opinion was on using Membership as an alternative to Pro-Sites?

Look forward to the replies!

Cheers

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

How's Canada on this fine morning (it is morning here ?

In short, DON'T DO IT! lol

The question you need to ask yourself is what your want to do?

Because I don't really see that in your post so I'm kinda making some assumptions of features you might or might not ever use.

Membership is really just for content protection, not for managing a multisite network as a hosting type business, which essentially is hosting.

Membership won't restrict quotas, web space, themes, access to the site (if using paid to blog in Pro Sites) or many of the other cool Pro Sites features.

Membership although it can work over Multisite to protect each site globally it's not designed for this, it will cause you headaches if you try. If each site and it's content was yours, fine, give it a shot, but you're looking to let people have their own site.

Pro Sites, you saw a glimpse of the forthcoming release and the new pricing tables, the checkout is getting a makeover, and some other cool little features are coming.

If you're wanting to do a manual application, why not use a form?

And then set it up.

The problem with manual setup is that there is no subscription made in the process unless of course you don't want that.

Hope this helps

• Tyler Postle

How's Canada on this fine morning (it is morning here ?

Warm... Summer is coming - I personally prefer cooler temperatures. On the bright side, sweating while sitting at my computer reminds me I have to go to the gym.

The question you need to ask yourself is what your want to do?

It's definitely more of a hosting style network. So, I know Pro Sites is designed more for my needs; however, I was thinking if I wasn't using a lot of the Pro Sites controls then maybe Membership would do the trick too.

After reading your post though, it sounds like I'll be sticking with Pro Sites. I will likely still use the form submission for the signup. Then once their site is built I can link them to the payment page to start their subscription.

I'm basically just trying to think of the easiest way (least confusing) for the client to pay for their subscription. I was looking into the Membership idea because I like that I can link each button in the table to the corresponding payment page for the level (I think).

I am thinking I will create a pricing table then have the Pro-Sites subscription selection below it. Making each button of the pricing table just scroll down to the subscription selection part of the page. I saw this method on someone else's Pro-Sites based network (forget the link) and it seemed to work pretty well.

I will also be offering services in addition to the base subscription - graphic design, logo design, theme customization etc.These will be setup through MarketPress.

I am VERY excited for the new Pro Sites checkout makeover, as you have probably seen me say about a million times now

Thanks a ton for your help here Tim. It has cleared up a lot for me. I will let you know how it all goes when I have it setup.

• PC

Hey there TyePo,

Thanks for posting back.

Warm... Summer is coming - I personally prefer cooler temperatures. On the bright side, sweating while sitting at my computer reminds me I have to go to the gym.

So we have summers in common and believe me summers in India - "No comments" lol

After reading your post though, it sounds like I'll be sticking with Pro Sites. I will likely still use the form submission for the signup. Then once their site is built I can link them to the payment page to start their subscription.

That would be the best thing to do. Even if you are using a form based signup or Pro Sites default signup, the user is sent to the payment page once the site has been created and they login to it. (Unless you are using a Pay to Blog module where the site will be deactivated till the payment is received)

MarketPress would be best for addon services like Logo designing etc.

I am also waiting for the Pro Sites checkout makeover to be honest. It would change a lot of things.

Looking forward to hear how it goes for you.

Cheers, PC

• Tyler Postle

So we have summers in common and believe me summers in India - "No comments" lol

Haha. I have a feeling my summers would be cold for you :p - It peaks at around 30-35 degress celsius tops in my area.

MarketPress would be best for addon services like Logo designing etc.

Good to know. I figured it would but it's nice to get some reassurance too

I am also waiting for the Pro Sites checkout makeover to be honest. It would change a lot of things.

It will be awesome! Can't wait.

Thanks for throwing in your opinion here PC - appreciate it!

PS. Mac or PC?

• PC

Hey there,

Thanks for posting back.

Haha. I have a feeling my summers would be cold for you :p - It peaks at around 30-35 degress celsius tops in my area.

Well, for us, it goes up to 45-47 we can half boil water

PS. Mac or PC?

Well, its PC with a Mac now I am still trying to figure it out and as soon as I am done, you will be the first one to know ! haha

Glad to help.

Cheers, PC

• Tyler Postle

Well, for us, it goes up to 45-47 we can half boil water

As you can see by my avatar, I'm a very fair skinned red head... The sun and heat are my weaknesses. I would surely die in India. haha

Well, its PC with a Mac now I am still trying to figure it out and as soon as I am done, you will be the first one to know ! haha

One day I will buy a Mac... Maybe once I've made a bunch of money from using WPMU Dev plugins