Membership2 - members cannot access protected content

registered members cannot view protected content. They get a notice
The content you are trying to access is only available to members. Sorry.
They log in, and the same thing happens. the website is nassauumpires.org
You can login as user tester2 testing1234 Sometimes it does work. Driving everyone crazy

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello @randy18,

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

It seems to me that those member don't belong to membership which protects those contents. To assist you better on this can you enable support staff access so that I can take a look at ?

You can enable support staff access via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Staff > Grant Access . Please let me know once you enable support staff access so that we can move forward with some further troubleshooting.

Cheers,
    Milan

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Randy!

Thanks for granting an access.

I've visited your site, both front- and back-end and reviewed its settings. The Membership 2 Pro plugin seems to be setup well, there's no complex memberships and membership protection rules. When testing as a member (using access credentials that you provided me with in your initial post) I was able to visit all the protected content.

You mentioned however that "sometimes it does work" which leads me to a question: does it happen for you (or the members of your site) regardless of what browser/OS they are using or a specific one? Are you able to identify those browsers/OS'es (including version numbers) with which members are not able to access content?

Looking forward for your replay,
    Adam

• Randy
    • Flash Drive

Yes, it is these "sometimes" issues that drive us crazy! I received reports all last week of people having this problem, but I had no problem with my test account on multiple computers, browsers and operating systems. Yesterday was the first time I actually hit the problem, using a login of one of the members. This happened on both a PC (Win 10, Edge) and on two Macs (safari and Chrome).
    Go figure. You can also log in as this person - 1Interp5 Strike4U
    Thanks for your help!

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Randy,

thanks for your replay.

I was expecting that you'll confirm Edge/IE issue here as our developers recently worked on a fix for this. However I admit I'm a bit surprised with Firefox and Safari on Mac. I think though that fixes applied to the next Membership 2 Pro releases may fix the issue anyway. It's worth giving a try at least.

That said, I'm not able to give you ETA on the nearest release as it's still being tested but in case you'd like to give it a shot (please note: it's still a beta version and although I can confirm that on my test setup it's working as a charm, I cannot promise you the same yet), please follow this steps:

1. disable (but not delete!) Membership 2 Pro plugin in your dashboard
    2. download and extract (unzip) an attached file to your local storage
    3. access your server via FTP
    4. go to "/wp-content/plugins" folder on your server
    5. upload "membership" folder from an extracted archive to "/wp-content/plugins" folder on your server, overwriting files if prompted
    6. enable Membership 2 Pro back

If you're using any caching plugins (e.g. W3 Total Cache or similar) it would be a good moment to clear/purge all caches. After this is done, please test your site for the issue again.

Let me know if it helped, please!
    Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Randy,

Thank you for your response.

I admit it makes me wonder even more. The "beta" release should at least solve the IE/Edge issue (apart from developers and my colleagues here, I tested it personally as well) so I'm thinking I must be missing something here.

I tried to access your site to re-check everything but it seems that the support access that you've previously granted has already expired. Would you mind granting it again for me so I could take a closer look?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Randy,

Thanks for your response.

I took another look at your site and I admit that now I'm stuck a bit again: there's a Membership 2 Pro "beta" release installed on your site but not active and along it there's a Membership 4.0.0.7 enabled which is actually a feature-limited free version of current (meaning 1.0.2.7 - not "fixed" beta) Membership 2 Pro.

I'm sorry I'm still asking instead of giving you a solution but could you please shed some light on why your setup is like this now? Is it on purpose or did something went wrong? The Membership 4.0.0.7 does not include fixes added to "beta" version that I shared with you here.

Please advise!
    Best regards,
    Adam

• Randy
    • Flash Drive

I guess i must have installed the free instead of the full version by mistake - i am a member so that should include the full one. I guess I downloaded the new beta at your recommendation, but apparently did not activate it.
    So - should i deactivate the 4.0.0.7 and activate the Beta and see if that fixes anything?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Randy,

4.0.0.7 is a free version available on wp.org so yes, you should remove that version and then activate the Pro version attached above.

Update to 4.0.0.7 happens if you update the plugin while it's deactivated, after you have activated Pro version you should no longer see notification that there's an update available.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Randy
    • Flash Drive

Ok, I deactivated the 4.0.0.7 and activated the beta u had sent me.
    Went to another browser and signed in as one of the members
    and yet again -

Sigh...

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Randy,

I hope you have a nice day!

I have accessed your site, created myself a user account (username: adamwpmu - you may remove it anytime) and assigned a membership. I have then visited your site with Firefox, Chrome and Opera browsers (recent versions/Windows), Firefox on Linux (another computer) and Internet Explorer 11. In all cases the I was asked to log-in to the site and after I did this, I was able to access protected content (e.g. "2015 Game fees"). This seems to be working fine and I'm thinking that either we're still missing something here (e.g. specific browser/OS version release) or this is a caching issue or a plugin conflict

I can see that although inactive, there's a number of "Membership" plugins installed:
    - our Membership 4.0.0.7
    - our Protected Content (which is a predecessor of Membership 2 Pro)
    - Page Restrict
    - s2Member Freamework

I'd start with removing those plugins entirely. Since there is a WP Super Cache plugin installed it's possible that system is still serving (at least "bits of") content from partial cache even if the plugin is disabled. This may be possible if there were changes made to .htaccess file by the plugin. Therefore I would enable this plugin (after removing aforementioned) and used it to clear its cache entirely. Then, please clear your browser's cache, login to the site again, clear WP Super Cache again and disable it back then please test the site against the issue.

Keep me updated please!
    Best regards,
    Adam

• Randy
    • Flash Drive

Have done what you recommended.

When I log in with a test user (tester2), I can see protected content. When I log in as an actual user (1interp5), I cannot. both users are listed and in the same category. Cannot figure it. Any ideas?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Randy,

I've checked your site and registered new user on front end instead of adding it manually in backend and I was able to see the protected content without any issues.
    I also tried logging out, visiting protected page and after logging back in I was properly redirected and was able to see the content.

Can you tell me how 1interp5 user was added, was it a regular registration as mentioned above?

Did you try clearing your browser cache or visiting protected page in incognito mode and then logging in with 1interp5 account?
    You can start incognito mode in Chrome by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+N on Windows or CMD+SHIFT+N on Mac.

HB we don't have release date yet since we need to do some more testing and address few other things before the plugin is publicly released but we are hoping to see it soon.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Randy
    • Flash Drive

1interp5 was added online by a regular member who had problems with his previous login. Seems to be the same category as the test user that I created on the back end.

Cleared cache, logged in - same thing
    went to an incognito browser - ditto
    In Chrome incognito - same.

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello @randy18,

I hope you are well today. :slight_smile:

This is indeed very strange issue. But as I can see that you are offering Free Membership. So if its okay to you then can you please remove affected users completely from your database via deleting from Users > All Users > Find out affected users by their usernames and delete those. After deleting, add them again via Membership > Add Member and then assign your membership. Finally email them their credentials and tell them to test again.

I hope this helps you. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Milan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.