Membership2 Pro error on activate

Mac OS X Install 10.10.3 Yosemite

community4health.com

In my Network dashboard I saw, “upgrade to Membership2 Pro”. … I did that.

Then, I went to Network to activate the plugin, now I get this error.

Abborting update of Protected Content! Could not create a restore-point [1]

Unable to create directory wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2015/06. Is its parent directory writable by the server?

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Marpie,

Hope you’re doing well today! Can you check if the parent directories have permission 755? That’s the default permission setting for WP folders. You can find this by using FTP and then right clicking on the folder – with most FTP programs that could bring up a “File Permissions…” option.

If that is fine then could you re-install Membership2 by first deleting it and then re-installing it through our dashboard.

Lastly, try doing a plugin conflict check, make sure no other plugins are conflicting. You can do that by deactivating all other plugins and then try network activating.

If none of that works and you are still getting the issue, could you send us in your FTP and WP login? Then we can have a closer look :slight_smile:

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select “I have a different question” for your topic – this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Send in:

Subject: “Attn: Tyler Postle

-WordPress admin username

-WordPress admin password

-login url

-FTP credentials (host/username/password)

-link back to this thread for reference

-any other relevant urls

**Instead of sending in WP login you can just grant support access through your dashboard via: WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access. Either way works for me!

Look forward to hearing back.

All the best,

Tyler

• marpie1
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

The permissions were 755.

So, I deleted the version I had installed, downloaded and installed a new version from the WPMU DEV Dashboard. … And I got the same error again. …

So I checked the document path and that folder was not there, so I made one 755 as well, and tried to install again. This time it got past that location and failed with the same error, but on the next step in its install. … So I made a new one of those, and so on, until it needed a membership2 folder, so I made that, all the path was at 755.

Then it could not make a file upgrade_1_1_0_0-20150607-232529.json … So I changed the permissions on the folder membership2 to 777, and activated the plugin. … That worked, leaving nothing in the membership2 folder, so I 755’d membership2. and re activated the rest of my plugins.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Marpie,

Thanks for the reply. So it’s working correctly now?

That sounds like a very odd fix. Although I’m glad it’s working if that is the case.

If you have any issues just send in your FTP and WP login to me through the form mentioned in my last post and I’ll have a look :slight_smile:

Hope you had a good weekend!

Cheers,

Tyler

• marpie1

I think it is working. … However, the permissions problem is, I think, more than just permissions. It is perhaps owner group as much as permissions.

I got the same sort of error when I tried to upload an image. … The upload seemed to go fine, but it failed because the file could not be moved to the place it needed to go.

I did send you the logon information via the question link you sent me.

Jack for Marpie

• Anang
    • New Recruit

Hi Jack

Working with Tyler here :slight_smile:

For Image upload problem I think that’s same issue with plugins before. It’s about permission. Could you change the permissions on wp-content/blogs.dir/ and sub folder to 755 ? I can’t check your permission using filezilla, it’s only show me “ceflmp” in permissions column, I guess it’s because using Mac as server :slight_smile:

Let me know the result :slight_smile:

Best Regards

• marpie1

Hello Tyler and Anang,

I think this fixed my problem.

sudo chown -R _www /Library/WebServer/Documents/

All the permissions were unchanged. The owner is the only thing changed. … So, I think, on Mac OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite server, the owner, and the permissions must be correct.

Just today, after the change, I uploaded and posted an image.

And then, coincidentally, membership2 Pro needed an update to a newer version. That took place without a hitch as well.

Jack

• marpie1

After going back and looking at my old installation, I still have the server we were migrating the old WordPress installation from, I did see that the path all belonged to www as owner. The old installation worked fine, and was correct. … So I can only guess that moving folders from one computer to another as PPWorldWide changed the ownership of the folders.

• Anang
    • New Recruit

Hi Jack

It’s great to hear you have solved this permissions(owner) issue :slight_smile: And yes when I move my folder from old installation Mac and doing fresh Install on my Mac I need to change permissions to my old folder :smiley:

Let us know if you need anything else :slight_smile:

Best Regards

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.