Membership2 - Subscription Renewal does not update account status

Membership2 - Subscription Renewal does not update account status

When user renews an expired subscription, plugin does not update user account status. Please see: Test user "Harmonia" renewed membership via PayPal, received receipt from PayPal. However still locked out of "MusicWiz_Studio" membership.

Our site subscriptions are basically unusable - Until we find cause of this issue.

Support access is ACTIVE until 2015-11-12 3:39 pm

Please Advise...

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello VirtualArtists,

Do you recall if before this stopped working there was any update on your site? Theme/plugin or WordPress?
    I can see that this user has the payment in the drafts, and that is why this payment is not processed.
    If you are sure you received the payment, you could edit the invoice in drafts and change it's status to paid.

Kind regards,
    Kasia

• VirtualArtists
    • The Incredible Code Injector

hi - Not aware of any "theme/plugin or WordPress" updates, but cannot be sure.
    If we set this user manually to "paid", that defeats the entire purpose of Membership2 plugin :slight_frown:

From PayPal side, it shows payment was processed for this user.
    Can you find any explanation, or fix, or why Membership2 plugin not updating user status after payment is processed?

We rely on Membership2 payment processing to work correctly.
    Support access is ACTIVE until 2015-11-12 3:39 pm

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello VirtualArtists,

Can you check if you have enabled the IPN in PayPal account as showed here https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/ipn/integration-guide/IPNSetup/?

If we set this user manually to "paid", that defeats the entire purpose of Membership2 plugin :slight_frown:

Yes, I know, but until we figure out what is causing this issue this is way for giving your users access to content.

Kind regards,
    Kasia

• VirtualArtists

Hi - We rely on Membership2 payment processing to work correctly.
    Currently this Membership2 plugin is failing :slight_frown:
    IPN was setup correctly, and seemed to work before we activated 30 day trial.
    Because of this BUG our site has been unusable for too long.

Can someone PLEASE dig into this bug, log in, test the IPN, figure out what this problem is?
    We are a long time premium paying client, and need this payment plugin to work ASAP...
    Support access is ACTIVE until 2015-11-14 12:25 am

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello VirtualArtists,

I'm not able the replicate this issue with invoices as drafts on my testing - even with trial enabled for membership. Problem is that there the transactions are not showed in the Transactions log for that Gateway Payments.

I will need more access to troubleshoot this issue. You can send it by using our secure contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Subject: "Attn: Kasia Swiderska"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me

Kind regards,
    Kasia

• VirtualArtists

hi - As you request, Contact Email has been Sent from "Soft-Designs"
    Please check for our email, verify you have access you requested.
    Please check the IPN log / trace. Try to see if IPN working.

Please Advise - any clues to what is causing this bug...

• VirtualArtists

Hi - No we have not changed anything. It seems strange, actually we were going to ask you the same question? Did you change anything? Because, yes, you are correct, now "Harmonia" user shows active. But we did not change...

Is there any easy way to do an IPN trace test? Or is there an IPN log we can check to make sure IPN is working?
    Please advise...

• VirtualArtists

-----
    Very Discouraged with WPMU's inability to fix bugs in a timely manner:
    -----
    Hi - We just tried renewing a user subscription, but that failed - did not even get to PayPal at all :slight_frown: We tried removing the trial period, and it still does not even goto PayPal to process payment.

Our site payments continue to be down - since this ticket was entered on : Mon Nov 9 2015

Basically, we have continuous payment bugs, with extremely slow support response time. When we do get support responses, no clear answers or fixes, and we are still down.

We need Phone support, chat support, or whatever it takes to get these bugs fixed asap...

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello VirtualArtists,

Please see here where you can check the IPN in your PayPal account https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/ipn/integration-guide/IPNOperations/ .

I was checking you site and I did enabled debug mode - I found strange files in wp-includes:
    like mwstudio/mwstudio.php - it seems that there is some kind of membership custom code? Are you still using it? Can you remove it?
    Also this plugin saWPAuthIFrame throws lots of sessions errors on your site.

I apologize for the inconvenience and delay - if clearing errors related to the plugins I mentioned earlier will not work I will bring Second Level Support to investigate that issue.

Kind regards,
    Kasia

• VirtualArtists

hi - We cannot remove: mwstudio.php, or saWPAuthIFrame - these are part of our platform, and have no relation to this issue.

The basic issue is after we set a trial period, renewing a subscription, Membership2 no longer routes to PayPal. Even after we removed the trial period, still renewing a subscription, no longer routes to PayPal.

Since these issues have been going on for weeks, and our payment is non-functional for weeks: Yes, please: "bring Second Level Support to investigate that issue."

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi VirtualArtists

I do apologize for the delay in response. I'm assuring you that we have taken this into serious consideration and from now on, we will try to get back to you on this as soon as possible.

Right now, we are doing some extensive test on this issue and I believe, we will get a fix (if it's a confirmed bug) very soon.

In the mean time, please run a plugin conflict test so that we can make sure it's not being caused by any other plugin. You can go through this guide for details: https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• VirtualArtists

hi Sir : Actually, we would ask WPMU support to run a PlugIn conflict test. Since WPMU has the expert coders to understand PlugIn conflicts.

It would seem that after weeks of WPMU trying to find this bug, maybe error log, or IPN trace could provide clues? If adding a plugin can break it, we are concerned that Membership2 Pro is not stable enough to handle online payments.

Support access is ACTIVE until 2015-11-24 3:09 am

Please Advise

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi VirtualArtists

I hope you had a wonderful day.

Yes. WPMU DEV has the best team of experts who are ready to help you. But as you said:

We cannot remove: mwstudio.php, or saWPAuthIFrame - these are part of our platform, and have no relation to this issue.

So it's kinda risky for us to make tests on your site because we may disable anything which don't seem to be native and that can result in change of your site's architecture. So we were requesting you to do it.

Plugin conflict test consists of disabling installed plugins one by and one (except the one we are taking about) and check if the problem goes away after disabling any specific plugin. Yes, we can do it on behalf of you but before that I'll request you to create a full-site backup so that you can restore the current situation if anything goes wrong.

I'm totally concerned about the delay but please keep in mind, Membership 2 Pro is a very big plugin and lots of customers are already using it without any problem. So before changing anything in our code, we need to make 100% sure that this problem is occurring for a bug in our code, not some server-side problem or from any problem from the payment gateway itself. We will release an update, or at least a patch for this problem as soon as we are confirmed that's it's a bug of ours.

And after you take a backup of your site, please let us know so that we can start digging further into this and can fix this as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• VirtualArtists

hi Sir - We understand your reply, and the complex dilemma of testing. I must first ask my boss before you take any action, that could bring our site down.

Question #1: WPMU staff mentioned above about some errors: "Also this plugin saWPAuthIFrame throws lots of sessions errors on your site."
    Could you please tell us exactly where we can look at these error logs? What folder, what files contain these error logs?

Question #2: Another test user, failed when trying to renew payment after free trial. Now this user membership details show: "Subscription ID 859 - Payment Gateway Free Gateway" . This seems related to the problem, that no renewals get sent to PayPal gateway. Why this user is set to "Free Gateway", and not set to PayPal gateway? This seems to be part of the problem...

Question #3: Under PayPal standard GateWay logs: What is this error all about: " Ignored: Missing POST variables. Redirect to Home-URL. [Irrelevant IPN call]" ?

Please Advise, thanks...

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi VirtualArtists

I hope you had a wonderful day.

Regarding Question #1: To enable debug log, simply open wp-config.php and define:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

You can also define WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY and WP_DEBUG_LOG to suppress the notices and log them to a "wp-content/debug.log" file if you’re debugging on a production site:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
    ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

So you will be able to get the log inside debug.log file located inside "wp-content" folder.

Regarding Question #2: Thanks a lot for the information. It will definitely help us to find the main reason. I'm noting it. We will check this on your staging site.

Regarding Question #3: It seems like the confirmation URL is either not set or misconfigured which results in a bad IPN request. So PayPal is throwing [Irrelevant IPN call].

Please let us know if you have any further confusion. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• VirtualArtists

Hi Sir: We have made progress, but still has bugs :slight_frown:
    Now, when user upgrades, we actually get to PayPal site, and it will process the recurring payment.
    However, then IPN never seems to update the user status.
    Now it seems IPN failing somewhere -

Can you please trace the IPN failure? Please advise...

PayPal IPN = (site)/ms-payment-return/paypalstandard
    Support access is ACTIVE until 2015-12-05 12:39 am

• VirtualArtists

Hi Sir : We got the IPN trace from PayPal , and finally found the latest bug. After help from PayPal, Now it seems fixed.

We will need to continue detailed testing, which will take quite a bit of time. However, at this moment, all seems working. thanks...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.