Memberships all flipped to Visitor, why?

So all of a sudden ALL members that were not Admins flipped from Members of the group EAGA to Visitors,
This happened the night of Feb 28 and was discovered on Mar 1.
Somehow this makes me believe there is a setting somewhere that (even though there is NO charge to be in EAGA membership and no Monthly dues in the system) that the system detected the month change and did some test somewhere and nailed every member for not paying.
So if I'm correct, how do I stop this from happening on March 31, and making us look bad on April Fools day?
I have enabled support access: Support access is ACTIVE until March 4, 2015 3:16 pm
I must have missed something in the setup or am not understanding how to have protected pages without having billings...
On the plus side (kinda) all members were notified that their accounts had been ended with message:
Your EAGA membership at EAGA has ended on .
You can renew your membership here: account page
OK, that's all I know so far, and would sure appreciate you making sure we done embarrass ourselves again next month.
Thanks in Advance!
Robert

• RobertKwasny

So... In attempting to hunt the "dunning code" parameter, the closest I get is in the EAGA Protect Content - Memberships - Payments section which indicates:

Payment settings for EAGA
    This membership already has some paying members.
    Following limitations apply:
    - Any changes will affect new invoices but not existing ones.
    - The payment-type cannot be changed anymore.
    One payment for permanent access

Except the client is NOT using the Payment Gateway and invoicing whatsoever.
    So it seems like the system is going to keep doing this until it "believes" there is at least "One payment for permanent access"

Settings - Payment - has no option to turn this off (at least that I can see).

Advice and/or solutions please!
    :wink:

• Michael Bissett

Hey @RobertKwasny,

As mentioned in the live chat today, I'd like to have a closer look at the situation here, and do some debugging. Could you please send in the following:

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Michael Bissett
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress network admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• RobertKwasny

I've sent the requested access information through the "I've a different question" option, one step left out of the instructions above, after doing it incorrectly -- and a nice save by Tyler.

Bottom line is -- our Dedicated Server is down because of hackers for the next 12 hours or so.

But this is a problem very easy to duplicate.

I'd appreciate the Developer creating a duplicate test installation, where:
    1) There is NO connection to a Merchant account
    2) There is NO initial Payment
    3) There is NO set to the "Is this a Paid Membership"
    4) There are pages Protected by assigning Members to a Membership Group.
    5) That because of the above conditions, on the turn of the end of month to the new month, all members in the group flip over to Visitor Status and the following message is emailed to all members.

Your EAGA membership at EAGA has ended on .
    You can renew your membership here: account page

When I flip them all back to the Membership Group manually, they flip back to Visitor based on what I'm assuming is a date test versus a payment test.

Note to Developer... this Association has no intention of ever using the Billing Feature.
    I know that isn't a common configuration but this Parameter "This is a Paid Membership" = NO should accommodate them and doesn't seem to...
    HELP!
    <grins>
    Robert

• Michael Bissett

Hey @RobertKwasny, thanks for your patience here!

Oddly enough, when I tried signing up two users of mine to a free membership on my test site (one user had a Subscriber role, the other a Editor role), it was the Editor role that got kicked out of the membership, while the user with a Subscriber role got to stay (and it wasn't even midnight yet).

I've notified the developer of my testing here, as well as your situation, so that he can offer his thoughts on the matter. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Philipp Stracker

Hi Robert,

thanks for taking the time to describe the issue this detailled, that helps us a lot to understand and test it :slight_smile:

How the Status change works:
    - There is a Membership Status-Check that runs every 6 hours. This status check is the only point in the plugin where a Membership is deactivated. This check calculates the exact days that a subscription is valid (I mean: It's not related to a month change, it could also deactivate a subscription on march-18...)
    - Since yout EAGA membership is permanent this check should actually not make any changes ever, however:
    - Possibly you did update the Protected Content plugin on Feb 28. Some users have reported the same incident as a result of the plugin update process. As of now I'm still investigating the issue and was not able to reproduce it on our installations...

What I just tested right now:
    Using the Support-Staff-Access I created a new user on your site (wpmutest).
    I sign up for the EAGA membership with that user and did trigger the Status-Check script -> my test-subscription was not deactivated. It *seems* that it's working now, but I cannot confirm this (since I could not reproduce/fix anything yet)

You can trigger the status check script by visiting Protected Content > Settings. Below the settings box you see a timer "Check Membership Status Changes in ..." - when you click the link the plugin will check status changes instantly.

First tipp:
    - Login to your EAGA site and go to Protected Content > Help > Tab: Advanced settings
    - You'll see a config setting for "MS_STOP_EMAILS". Add this line to your wp-config.php file
    --> Add that flag and then manually activate some/all subscriptions via the Protected Content > Members page. Then we'll see tomorrow/the day after that if the settings did stick or if they are deactivated again without your users getting any emails.

After doing endless upgrade tests already I always had the same result: Even when there's something wrong after the update - once it's repaired by adding the subscriptions/changes again it will stick. So any glitch I could reproduce was (a) a one-time-issue and (b) fixed in the latest version [it does not restore your data but prevent future updates from failing]

I'll keep you updated as soon as I discover something. Please let us know in case there's anything happening on your site as well. I'll check in tomorrow again to see if my test-user is still active...

Thanks for your feedbacks so far and sorry for the chaos.
    Philipp

• RobertKwasny

Hi Phillipp,
    OK, I have used the nearly invisible "You can trigger the status check script by visiting Protected Content > Settings. Below the settings box you see a timer "Check Membership Status Changes in ..." - when you click the link the plugin will check status changes instantly." (I was about ready to make a video claiming it wasn't there) so I suggest a better description that says instead: Below the main Parameters Box there is a nearly invisible line of text that allows you to... :wink:

I have manually set one, then several, and tested "now"... and the EAGA membership doesn't flip.

However, IS THERE another month end test?

Remember I had first discovered the problem on the flip of Feb to Mar. Then (and I'm positive the plugin was NOT updated) after I flipped all members manually, the next morning they were all flipped back to Visitor. So, without a plugin update, it flipped on the cusp of 28th/1st and again on the cusp of 1st/2nd or at the 6th hour when the timer did it...

Today, I have flipped all again and "Check Membership Status changes (now...). Send pending Email Responses in 0 hrs 34 min." done this again... Gone back to Members and double checked all 90+ -- they DID remain as EAGA and did NOT flip back to Visitor.

I'm still very leery about this month end thing. We hadn't touched a thing in this website for weeks when it did the flip at month end. If you didn't change any parameters or code... I'm as nervous as a kid going to his first school dance :wink:

I appreciate your jumping in here and working it...

I'll keep checking randomly in the days ahead.

Thanks!
    Robert

• RobertKwasny

BTW, please do not close this ticket... each time I go and check status I'll date and time stamp it.

While we are at it... why would this be... 3 weeks ago I wanted to change the Admin email address to: rk@abq1.com AND hermar129@yahoo.com... but this message has remained constant for weeks:

General Settings
    The Membership setting must be turned on in order for the New User Approve to work correctly. Update in settings. | Hide Notice
    In a few words, explain what this site is about.
    E-mail Address
    This address is used for admin purposes. If you change this we will send you an e-mail at your new address to confirm it. The new address will not become active until confirmed.

There is a pending change of the admin e-mail to hernmar129@yahoo.com. Cancel

The hernmar129 is a Luddite that won't admit it... so he may not in-fact confirmed an email sent.

Can I force both emails as Admin Email Addresses somehow?

Thanks again!
    R

• Philipp Stracker

Hi Robert,

First: We have fixed the "Members-Turn-To-Visitor" issue. There was a bug in a date-function that caused this issue _only in countries that were behind the GMT timezone_
    (That made it so difficult for us to reproduce the issue)

Second, message about Membership:
    "The Membership setting must be turned on in order for the New User Approve to work correctly" .. this is no message that is generated by Protected Content. Without further investigation I cannot tell you which plugin is generating this message...

Third, the Admin Email change: I usually change the Email address via the "hidden" options panel of WordPress. Open the following URL and you'll see all your WordPress wp_options table, so make sure to be careful with the changes - the admin email is the field "admin_email", right in the top:
    http://www.eaganm.com/wp-admin/options.php

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.