Memberships Pro & Mailchimp integration

Hi

Just set up Mailchimp integration with M2 and have a couple of questions.

1. Opt in. Where should we set the user opt in permission (ideally we want a double opt in process too). Memberships registration form does not have any opt in text / button? Do you know if we can we configure Mailchimp to send a confirmation / opt in email after a user registers? As it is an important area, can you describe what other user M2 users do to achieve best practice here and not get spammed etc?

2. As recommended, we have set up 3 x lists – Registered, Members & Expired. So I assume that M2 automatically updates the lists by moving users between the different lists according to their membership status – it would be useful if you could just confirm this please?

Regards,

Paul

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hey @bize,

Hope you’re doing well today :slight_smile:

MailChimp add-on in M2 doesn’t have much options, you can only turn on/off auto opt. and select your lists.

With Automatically opt-in new users to the mailing list. option turned off your users will need to confirm subscription to mailchimp via email, is that what you’re looking for?

2. As recommended, we have set up 3 x lists – Registered, Members & Expired. So I assume that M2 automatically updates the lists by moving users between the different lists according to their membership status – it would be useful if you could just confirm this please?

That is correct :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Predrag

• BizE
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Predrag

1. Mailchimp rules are that users have confirmed opt in, so it’s a question of how best to do this. Ideal solution would be if a) Mailchimp is enable so users automatically get sent to lists 2) maybe the M2 sign up / registration email contains an email confirmation link which validates & confirms email opt in. 3) or do you know if we can send first email form Mailchimp to function as an opt in?

I understand that Mailchimp are very strict here, so with the alternative of being blacklisted, there must be a way which other M2 users have to do this?

2. Ok, good.

Thanks & regards,

Paul

• BizE
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Predrag

Have been looking further into Mailchimp and it seems that if we use their API, we could maybe integrate their signup forms into the M2 register form? This would be a useful improvement to the M2 functionality as it would first of all, allow the Mailchimp automated opt-in function to work, as well as maybe allow the inclusion of additional fields – in our case, a language selector, which would allow us to group & email to users in their native languages. Can you let me know what you think and if you could help with this please?

Thanks, Paul

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Paul,

I hope you’re having a nice day!

Currently there’s a single built-in option to force MailChimp confirmation. As my colleague @predrag Dubajic mentioned previously, that’s the “Automatically opt-in new users to the mailing list”.

If you switch off that option, all newly registered users will receive an e-mail from your site (an e-mail is in fact delivered by MailChimp but in the name of your site) saying “Please Confirm Subscription. If you received this email by mistake, simply delete it. You won’t be subscribed if you don’t click the confirmation link above….”

There’s also a confirmation button/link included which has to be clicked by user in order to confirm subscription.

This should comply with MailChimp opt-in confirmation rules, I think.

Have been looking further into Mailchimp and it seems that if we use their API, we could maybe integrate their signup forms into the M2 register form?

This would require quite an amount of custom coding which is beyond the scope of this forum as it would mean both changing/extending Membership 2 code and writing custom code that would handle MailChimp API communication. Therefore you may want to post a question at our “Jobs & Pros” job board (please note: no WPMU DEV staff involved!) here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Best regards,

Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.