membership/supporter/blog farm/marketpress

So I guess I am another one of those confused ones regarding supporter and membership.... I would like to allow a network of specific users create blogs targeting a specific group. I would like them to be able to create their own buddypress groups and manage their own users. So here are my questions/concerns:

1. When I create a membership level using the membership plugin what is the blog rule under buddypress?
2. Can I restrict marketpress to a particular level just by using the administrator plugin and checking the marketpress option?
3. I am not sure where supporter plugin fits in.... it doesn't seem to have any settings (unless I am missing something) besides payment...it is either on or off? Is that correct? Or maybe I don't need this plugin?
4. And then just a "blog network" question (maybe weird... but I am trying to figure it all out)... is it possible for my premium members to have their own members? Or do I have access to all?
5. What is the shortcodes option in membership plugin?
6. Under administration section of membership plugin what does it mean to give access to menus and submenus?

thanks in advance!

• Mason

Hiya Sharena,

Let's take a look and see if we can come up with a solution here. As always there's well more than one way of doing it :smiley:

1. When I create a membership level using the membership plugin what is the blog rule under buddypress?

You can add a positive or negative rule for which blogs this level has access to. Note: This rule only works when you actually have buddypress activated - otherwise it just shows the menu item but doesn't give you the ability to check individual blogs.

2. Can I restrict marketpress to a particular level just by using the administrator plugin and checking the marketpress option?

Yep! That's what it's there for :smiley:

3. I am not sure where supporter plugin fits in.... it doesn't seem to have any settings (unless I am missing something) besides payment...it is either on or off? Is that correct? Or maybe I don't need this plugin?

Supporter is really more for sites looking to offer free and paid versions of their service. It's great for things like setting up a blog network (or other niche network on WordPress). You can do similar with Membership, of course, but you'll have to set up all the rules to allow it to work. Supporter is designed to do the task specifically.

4. And then just a "blog network" question (maybe weird... but I am trying to figure it all out)... is it possible for my premium members to have their own members? Or do I have access to all?

Each individual blog/site can have it's own subscribers or members. I'm not sure about activating the membership plugin to run the entire network AND having it available to all members to use themselves. Maybe Barry can comment on that one, but I know you can do one or the other.

5. What is the shortcodes option in membership plugin?

Create your own shortcodes and then use them in your posts/pages to hide or display content based on how you've set the rules.

6. Under administration section of membership plugin what does it mean to give access to menus and submenus?

In the WordPress admin the left-hand sidebar navigation is known as menus and submenus. This membership option allows you to control what a particular level can access in the admin.

Hope this helps! Thanks!

*Edit* I'd also say a read through our install/instructions page will help with some of your questions about shortcodes for membership and such. You can read up on all of that right here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/installation/

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.