Memory Error, White Screen of Death on Some Subsites, and Base Directory Issue...

We are tidying up our site migration and all is looking real good. (I know the subject sounded bad). I have Rackspace working through these issues but I thought I was post these issues to WPMU given the body of expertise.

1) I have a white screen of death of two subsites admin page. I THINK this is error causing the problem:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /var/www/vhosts/maxwebgear.com/httpdocs/wp-includes/option.php on line 174

When I remove WPMU Update plugin and Google Maps (WPMU) plugin it goes away. The error is limited to only two subsites.

2) Snapshot is also causing the same problem on the public sites when activated (white screen). We now have a new firewall, so I am curious if this could be related to scheduling the backups to third party sites like Dropbox, etc.?

3) ... and finally, I see this error in the debugging notes: "Warning: file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect." Any thoughts?

That should put a pretty bow on things other than those issues. Any thoughts are appreciated.

As always. thanks for all your help... This is one of the best communities on the web and I value your input and thoughtful responses.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Maxwebgear!

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for the question.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /var/www/vhosts/maxwebgear.com/httpdocs/wp-includes/option.php on line 174

This error means your installation ran out of memory. The most common and easiest solution for this it to bump up your memory limit via the wp-config.php file :slight_smile:

Right above the:

/* that's it, happy blogging! */ line (says something like that).

Add this line:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

That should do it. I say should because sometimes hosts will block the ability to increase memory that way, in which case it is likely fastest to just contact them and get them to increase it for you :slight_smile:

3) ... and finally, I see this error in the debugging notes: "Warning: file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect." Any thoughts?

This error usually happens when PHP requires access to a directory that has been restricted. Your host will be able to help with this :slight_smile:

Hope that helps Max! Let us know if you have any further questions.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.