memory issues which i cant seem to fix

I have problems across multiple of my websites, and from some error reports I believe it's due to insuficient memory for php, but I can't seem to fix the issue.

I tried fixing php.ini and wp-config with memory increase, but to no avail.

Some of my sites such as http://www.edm-mag.com and http://www.edm-songs.com show the whote screen of death one moment, and a bit later show up correct again, after which it goes back to the previous state.

My site Trancefam.com has an error report on the very bottom of the page. The slider function doesn't work at the moment.

A back up from 3 days ago doesn't have these issues.

The dashboard of my site dj-pedia.com disappears when I try to load a plugin that works fine on my other similar sites. And then also shows the same memory issues.

I have no clue how to fix this and any help is very much appreciated.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi WSeattle,

Hope you're well :slight_smile:

Fatal error shown on one of the site does indeed suggest that the issue is memory related.

First thing to check is if your increasing memory limit actually worked, some hosting provider don't allow this change to be made via wp-config or similar method.
    To check this from your site admin section you can navigate to WPMU DEV > Support panel and on top of the page you will see System Info button, click there and that will show you your current memory limit so you can check if the changes actually affect your site.

Let us know about what you see there so we can see how to continue with this.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• WSeattle

Version 5.4.19
    max_execution_time 30
    open_basedir
    memory_limit 256M
    upload_max_filesize 32M
    post_max_size 33M
    display_errors 1
    log_errors
    track_errors
    session.auto_start 0
    session.cache_expire 180
    session.cache_limiter nocache
    session.cookie_domain
    session.cookie_httponly
    session.cookie_lifetime 0
    session.cookie_path /
    session.cookie_secure
    session.gc_divisor 100
    session.gc_maxlifetime 1440
    session.gc_probability 1
    session.referer_check
    session.save_handler files
    session.save_path
    session.serialize_handler php
    session.use_cookies 1
    session.use_only_cookies 1
    Error Reporting E_ERROR
    E_WARNING
    E_PARSE
    E_CORE_ERROR
    E_CORE_WARNING
    E_COMPILE_ERROR
    E_USER_ERROR
    E_USER_WARNING
    E_RECOVERABLE_ERROR
    E_ALL
    Extensions apc
    bcmath
    calendar
    cgi-fcgi
    Core
    ctype
    curl
    date
    dba
    dom
    ereg
    exif
    fileinfo
    filter
    ftp
    gd
    gettext
    hash
    iconv
    json
    libxml
    mbstring
    mcrypt
    mhash
    mysql
    mysqli
    openssl
    pcre
    PDO
    pdo_mysql
    pdo_sqlite
    Phar
    pspell
    Reflection
    session
    SimpleXML
    soap
    SPL
    sqlite3
    standard
    tokenizer
    wddx
    xml
    xmlreader
    xmlrpc
    xmlwriter
    xsl
    zip
    zlib

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello WSeattle!

The "mysqli..." warning is related to the PHP version, it shouldn't however cause issues for now. As for memory, the maximum available amount for PHP on your server is 256M and that's all you can assign to WordPress.

Please take a look also at another tab of "WPMU DEV Dashboard" plugin: go to "WPMU DEV -> Support" -> click "System info" button -> switch to "WordPress" tab and scroll the page all the way down. At the end of the list you should see values for

WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT

and

WP_MEMORY_LIMIT

That first one is most likely already set to 256M (it may be different but it's like that on most setups) but the second one is probably much lower. If it's anything less that 256M please make sure that this exact line is present inside the "wp-config.php" file

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

and that this line is placed above the "/* That's all, stop editing... */" line.

Once you are sure it's there, please check that info page again and see if the value displayed for "WP_MEMORY_LIMIT" has been updated. If so, please check if the memory issue still occurs and let me know here.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello WSeattle!

The error that you get suggests that the WP_MEMORY_LIMIT is set to 64M. That also suggests that most likely the line that I mention was added in a wrong place or there was some error during "copy&paste".

Please edit your wp-config.php file again and make sure that there's only one line that includes WP_MEMORY_LIMIT string and is placed exactly as shown on an image below:

If that doesn't fix the error and doesn't help, let me know please and I'll let you know about a safe way to provide me with full access credentials to the site so I could check that directly.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.