Memory (RAM), storage, bandwidth in VPS for WP multisite.

Hi,

I recently moved my multisite network to a VPS server. I am just in the development phase, but I bought the minimum 2 nodes with 1.2GHz, 752MB RAM, 20GB Storage and 2TB Bandwidth.

Recently I was being told that I am out of memory and I had to buy 512MB RAM. I had concentrated on Storage and Bandwidth and I have no idea about RAM.

They told me my 752 MB RAM finished because I have CPanel installed (around 500 MB) and Wordpress multisite with many plugins and stuff.

Is this normal. What is exactly RAM. When I asked what happens when I have 4 cPanel instead of one, they said extra cPanels wont affect the RAM. So what is this exactly. If a multisite has many subsites, how much affect does this have on RAM. Or is is a constant about the initial software installed. Also I wonder if there is need for more RAM when the amount of visitors rise, as for now the websites were not even online.

This question is becoming quite long, but I really would like to learn if 1264MB RAm, 20GB Storage, 2TB Bandwidth server enough for a one Multisite network with 100 multisites client websites little content. Also how much page visits is approximately possible with 2 TB bandwidth.

Thanks a lot.

• Mark Wallace

Hello @akasya
    RAM is: random access memory; it’s called random access because you access any memory cell directly if you know the row and column on the cell. Basically it is silicone and transistors. It does not hold memory the same way a hard drive does. It is much faster than a hard drive, and when Ram fills up it starts using a portion of the hard drive called virtual memory to cove the slack.

So for them to say you are better off with 512 RAM vs. 752 RAM does not make since to me. Now all this is related to regular computers, I do not know if it is different with servers or not. What would be best is for you to contact your host provider, and ask them to check your c-panel settings and RAM. I personaly did not know that this could be adjusted in the c-panel. It is Sunday in the forums so response time are a little slower than Mon-Fri. So drop your host provider a email or do a live chat if they offer it. If Joe is working today he will know all this off the top of his head. I think part of that mans brian is a server. lol Thanks Akasya

• Mark Wallace

Hello @akasya
    What hosting company do you use? The company use offers support for all their packages. Wither they are virtual servers or dedicated servers. Hosting is a very competitive market. If you check around I bet you could find a company that offers this type of support, and probably free transfer of you currents websites. Thanks akasya
    This would be a good test, try another service that has chat support, tell them you are considering changing host companies and tell them your problem. If they help you through it; then you know they offer good support. :slight_smile:

• aecnu

Greetings akasya,

MTB1701 is right on the money with his advice about hosting being competitive. You do not have to look far for a good host - try me out - and though it has not yet been posted, I give free cPanel clients transfer of their current accounts with competitors as long as we are indeed given access to that cPanel of the competitor.

This is necessary so we can backup the account and transfer it --> http://wpmu-hosting.org/

Thank you for the opportunity.

Cheers, Joe

• akasya

Hi @MTB1701,

I have a plan in VPS.net and actually I am completely satisfied with their support. I had made an extensive search beforehand (and I have less alternative as I need to have my servers in Germany and UK). This is my first VPS service provider and I cannot make a comparison, but this is not a managed server, but they are replying all my questions mostly in an hour and they are very kind.

One thing about your previous post :"So for them to say you are better off with 512 RAM vs. 752 RAM does not make since to me."

I think I couldnt explain myself. They told me I am on the limits with my 752 RAM memory and when I asked them I am not even online and I was just trying multisite installation and several plugins, they told me 500 of the RAM is used by the cPanel (WHM) installation. They actually advised me to get some more nodes for RAM, which I did and now have a RAM of more than 1000MB

Thanks a lot again. Joe is around. He just replied another post of mine. So I hope he checks this out soon :slight_smile:

Best

• aecnu

Greetings akasya,

Thank you for your additional feedback and input, I do appreciate it.

I agree if you folks are after a local market then servers within the IP range of that market is of course very important, though it is also possibly that SEO and Language selection would cancel most of the effect out. In other words, if in you search it is sites using the German language then even a site written in German hosted in the US for example will more then likely come up in the results.

However, I say more then likely because with the search engines there are no guarantees of anything.

Any improvements in RAM is a plus of course but there is no way to determine what the net effect will be with the additional clients. RAM may possibly be best expressed by a room the program has to work in. When a program is launched, cPanel which is always on etc. is fed into memory, this is the room it is working within.

So if you put a carpenter in a closet he may be able to make the "door", but it will take him much more time then if you had the same carpenter in a 100 square meter room, he can move about much more freely and get the job done much faster.

What makes our VPS hosting so unique compared to most of the others is the following:

Most of the others use software that limits the maximum memory and processor resources that can be used by any given VPS at any given time.

That is why they are saying 1.2 Ghz and 752 MB of RAM, and with the megahertz they never mention what processor to begin with which makes a big difference. 1.2 Ghz of a P4 processor is nothing compared to 1.2 ghz of a Xeon processor.

In our VPS environment we do no such thing and of course you have probably noticed we do not mention it, because each VPS gets the full power of the server as the load requires, therefore the VPS in our current environment would be given the full power of Dual Quad Core Xeon processors and 16 GB of RAM as needed. So in essence when a call is made to our VPS's it slams the data with the power and memory that is mentioned above or divides it directly among the current load.

Though this type of configuration requires a little bit more management vs. the other limiting way, the limiting of how many VPS/Hosting accounts are allowed to a server by virtue in our case of Static IP's, the client gets a screaming product that the competition cannot touch and in this case pounding out the pages with the full power of the Dual Quad Core Xeons and 16 GB of RAM.

We allocate as much RAM for a single php process then your current host had given you originally in total memory: http://wpmu-hosting.org/phpinfo.php

See: memory_limit

You can check on your current hosting configuration by simply taking the below attached file, extracting it, and uploading the file to the root of your hosting account and then call it up in your browser: http://yourdomain.com/phpinfo.php

See: memory_limit

This is not the total memory limit allocated to your account, but the memory limited for a single php process. Of course one must have this real physical memory to accomplish this and WordPress is a PHP/MySQL intensive application.

Thank you for your interest in this subject and giving me the opportunity to explain the big picture.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.