Menu Background

Is there some feature in upfront that can help me make the menu background transparent or a certain opacity level?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the additional info. Just to confirm, after logging in and looking at your site - you are wanting to make the nav background transparent so it appears on top of the image that you have on top of your homepage?

The reason that the background goes white when you change the opacity to fully transparent is because there is actually nothing behind the nav region background. It's separate from the full width image region you have below it.

In order to have that menu appear on top of the full width image you could either hide the header region on your home page and add the menu and social icons elements into your full width image or you could use a floating region by right clicking within the Upfront editor and selecting "add floating region". Then add the menu and social icons to that region and put it over top of your header image.

Does any of that sound like what you might be after? Happy to help further with implementing one of those solutions if you have any troubles but just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding what you're wanting here.

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Dave

In order to have that menu appear on top of the full width image you could either hide the header region on your home page and add the menu and social icons elements into your full width image or you could use a floating region by right clicking within the Upfront editor and selecting "add floating region". Then add the menu and social icons to that region and put it over top of your header image.

You understood me correctly but I am not sure which option is best if you can advise. If possible anyway.

Thanks

• Dave

I tried your second option as it appears to be the easiest. I could not wait on your response any longer. This is the time i can work on the website for today.

I changed the width of the floating region to 1000px to accommodate the menu and social icons but you can't actually drag them in there.

I did some research and found someone having what seems to be a somewhat similar problem. May have been fixed though sorry but my time is way too short to read the entire post.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/two-upfront-questions-1-floating-regions-and-2-can-we-stack-elements-text-over-image

Another thing is I don't want to put these elements above the header image. I want the header image gone or hidden (I think maybe hidden is best) and just show the home background image only with the menu and social icons appearing over it.

Let me be clear that if you mean header image as in the one in my attachment, then yes that is what I want hidden.

And while I'm at it do I add something like this to the Global Themes CSS
    .upfront-image-lazy-bg {
    display: none;
    }

Sorry but I am no css expert.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dave,

Yes, to hide that header in your screenshot, add the following CSS:

.upfront-output-region-container.upfront-region-container-header.upfront-region-container-wide {
    }

You can add that the field that this plugin will give you: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/

That's a very lightweight plugin that just gives you a custom stylesheet.

Upfront's global theme CSS is for font and typography styles. There is the region CSS per region where you can add styles too but it won't apply for hiding the region altogether so in this case we can use the custom css plugin above.

Are you wanting to hide it only on the home page? So you can use the floating element over top your home page background on the home page and then every other page still gets the regular menu? In that case you would want to add this CSS:

.home .upfront-output-region-container.upfront-region-container-header.upfront-region-container-wide {
    }

I dragged your menu and social icons into the floating element just now on your site but I didn't save it in-case you are wanting to still keep your header menu too for other pages, in that case you would want to right-click on the menu and click "clone" and then same thing with the social icons element and drag those into the floating element.

Once we know whether we'll keep your header menu on other pages or add floating menu to others then I can help implement that if you still need it.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dave,

I made the change on the home page for you so it's just the floating menu now.

I've also made a screencast on how to do it as well so you'll be able to do it on any future pages as needed: http://screencast.com/t/sKksmCaSI

Since the menu text is white it will just blend in with the background unless there is an image there. So I didn't save it like that, but if you would like to create a new appearance preset for the menu then you can do that from here:

So you could make a new preset and make the font green or whatever colour you like and then have a version you can use on white backgrounds.

I also slightly changed the CSS you placed in to include the .home class, so it will only be hidden on the home page and all your other pages have the regular menu back. When you are ready to add the floating menu to them all then you can either remove the .home from that CSS or target individual pages as needed.

I want the change made on all pages. Menu to remain where it is on all pages with invisible background of course on all pages.

I know you mentioned that further up, but just wanted to make sure you were aware of what changes to do under certain circumstances. Your client may find they like the regular menu on some pages and then only want the transparent one on the pages with image backgrounds, then you can do that for only those pages and save some work.

If you have any further questions on this just let me know :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Dave

I've also made a screencast on how to do it as well so you'll be able to do it on any future pages as needed: http://screencast.com/t/sKksmCaSI

Ok got it! It must be done on the other pages as well but please see below...

Since the menu text is white it will just blend in with the background unless there is an image there.

I take it you mean if there is an image in the menu background and not the page background?

So I didn't save it like that,

Do you mean you did not save the floating menu with a background? Just trying to put the two paragraphs together.

but if you would like to create a new appearance preset for the menu then you can do that from here:

Is this new appearance preset in addition to the one on the home page? In other words I am now adding new apperance presets and modifying them as needed to finish the job.

So you could make a new preset and make the font green or whatever colour you like and then have a version you can use on white backgrounds.

Sounds like you mean this version which will be for other pages will be in addition to the one you made for the home page thereby they will look different from the home page.

I also slightly changed the CSS you placed in to include the .home class, so it will only be hidden on the home page and all your other pages have the regular menu back. When you are ready to add the floating menu to them all then you can either remove the .home from that CSS or target individual pages as needed.

For consistency I want make them all the same but i am understanding that you mean it is only an option?

Also to target individual pages I assume I just add the page(s) .name(s) to the css.

Sorry for my lengthy questions just want to be clear and especially since i am no expert. So understanding what you mean is vital.

And thanks a lot for what you've done I really appreciate it.

• Dave

Another thing is in the Upfront Editor in mobile view I see the menu and social icons with invisible background but on my mobile phone it is not showing the menu or the social icons at all.

Also in tablet view in the editor (which I cannot test since i have no tablet) is showing both the menu and social icons but in the wrong place or maybe I guess can be left there due to space if it was horizontal. Again I cannot tell without using a tablet. But as you can see still showing the background which should also be invisible.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dave,

I take it you mean if there is an image in the menu background and not the page background?

image or page background. Basically your regular region backgrounds are white by default so when you put the floating region over top of a regular region and make the floating region transparent, then whatever the regular region has in it is now the floating region background.

So in my example, your FAQ page's top region is white and your menu text is white so the menu text will just be hidden on the white background.

Do you mean you did not save the floating menu with a background? Just trying to put the two paragraphs together.

I didn't save the floating region at all on the FAQ page, so if you want to add it there then just follow the steps in my screencast :slight_smile:

Is this new appearance preset in addition to the one on the home page? In other words I am now adding new apperance presets and modifying them as needed to finish the job.

Exactly, your home page appearance preset is the "default" one. So don't change the "default" preset. It gives you a big warning before editing the default one. So always just create a new one unless you actually want to edit the default in which case it will change the appearance of all menus that are using it.

If you make a new preset as I suggested earlier then it will be separate from the default preset that your home page uses and you can use them both on different menus as needed.

For consistency I want make them all the same but i am understanding that you mean it is only an option?

Exactly, that is just one option. If you would like to do the floating menu on all of them then just remove .home from the custom CSS again.

Also to target individual pages I assume I just add the page(s) .name(s) to the css.

Yup :slight_smile: if you want to target individual pages instead then you would find the unique class for that page, which is always something like .page-id-345 and will be in the body tag of the HTML. Here's a screencast on how to find the page id class easily: http://screencast.com/t/1QbLyl4g

You can right click "inspect" on any of the major browsers. You can see there that the page id for your FAQ page is: page-id-256

So the CSS to hide the main menu on that page and also your home page would be:

.home .upfront-output-region-container.upfront-region-container-header.upfront-region-container-wide, .page-id-256 .upfront-output-region-container.upfront-region-container-header.upfront-region-container-wide {
    }

Every new page you wanted to add you would just copy and paste the original target group of classes and separate it with a comma then change the page id class.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

In regards to the mobile issues. Sorry about that, that's an issue I didn't foresee with this solution.

It turns out the floating regions are only visible on desktop due to the issues they would cause in a mobile experience. ie. not being properly responsive.

So the best option here is to bring back the original menu on mobile and tablet. The way we can do that is with a little change to the CSS, adding a media query:

@media only screen and (max-width: 1080px) {
    .home .upfront-output-region-container.upfront-region-container-header.upfront-region-container-wide {
    	}
    }

That means that the CSS will only apply to screens that are 1080px or less. So anything that is tablet width or less. Some tablets nowadays may be bigger than that, not sure but either way, if they are then they will just be treated like a desktop which would most likely be preferred on that big of a screen anyway.

I've set this up on your site now so try visiting it on your mobile. It should be setup with a hamburger style menu icon and when clicked, the menu will dropdown.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Dave

Ok still reading your post getting outta here in a minute to go to work but what I do not understand is why this whole thing got what seem to be complicated when originally all I wanted was to make all menu pages background invisible?

Is there some feature in upfront that can help me make the menu background transparent or a certain opacity level?

All page menus were there originally when I opened the ticket. I am not blaming anybody please understand just don't understand why it came to this now. It seems quite a complex task to now have to fix this problem and get what I originally wanted. Again please keep in mind that you are dealing with someone not very skilled in css at least not yet.

To be honest this seems like a problem that will run me into overtime on this project. Not sure if the client will be happy.

Please advise
    Thanks

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dave,

but what I do not understand is why this whole thing got what seem to be complicated when originally all I wanted was to make all menu pages background invisible?

Yes, being completely honest, this is much more complicated than it should be and something we plan to improve in the future. Upfront makes a TON of things waaay easier to do, but then there are still a few things like this that should be easy, but are kind of the opposite at the moment.

The issue here is that you want the menu to be displayed over top of content in another region. By default regions can't be stacked. So we could have simply made your menu background transparent in the first place, but since it was in it's own region then it would just mean the background will be white. Which is what was happening for you in the first place. You were expecting the image background to be seen behind the menu once it was made transparent, but content/backgrounds can't extend beyond their region boundaries.

So this meant we had to use a floating region, which at the moment can't be selected from the global regions, so you need to re-create it on each page you want it.

Anyways, I'm sure I just made it more confusing :smiley: but in short, this is something we do plan to make much easier in the future but at the moment is one of the few things that is actually more difficult with Upfront than a regular WordPress theme.

Any further questions on that just let me know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Dave

If you can help me get this website going please. All I want to do is make the background invisible as I mentioned without tha added complication. Can you just give me simple clear to understand steps on how to do that.

I don't care if the menu is displayed over top of content whatever or if so I really don't care as long as the end product is an invisible menu background on all pages and on cell phone and tablet.

Don't you have a very simple step by step explanation on how to do this? Again, the menus were there when I started this thread I don't understand how we got into all this complicated stuff.

I can't do anything with your complicated explanations as I mentioned menu background invisible that's it. There's got to be a way to explain that is very simple terms.

I have no time for complexity right now my deadline is fast approaching. I can always deal with the technical aspects of things once this project is completed. I can go back and study whatever I have to study but not right now.

I will appreciate your help

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dave,

Sorry, I think I'm a little confused why you want an invisible background if you don't care if anything is behind it? In that case, if we make the menu background transparent(invisible) then it will just be white - unless the menu is put overtop of an image or a region that is a different colour.

If you want to just make the background behind the menu transparent, with nothing behind it, which means it will just be a white background behind the menu then yes that's totally do-able and will be easy :slight_smile:

If you mean something else then could you perhaps provide an example? Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Dave

First of all that top menu and social icons next to it shoudn't be on the site just the bottom one with the invisible background both menu and social icons. So that top one has to be removed. I know I can delete them but not sure how to get rid of the background color. It seems it is hard wired into the theme. I could not find a way to remove it.

The bottom menu on the image background with social icons is what I want to replace the top one with. Again both menu and social icons but with no colored background but instead with the background image behind them as seen now. But again they should be on top and aligned exactly like the top one I want removed.

I had no idea that what was behind that top menu and social icons was a white background or at least I assume that is what you mean. Either way I would like the top one removed and put the bottom one in place along with the social icons and aligned similar to it.

I don't want white space or anything in place only the background image in the back ot the menu and social icons as seen in my example.

The cropped version below is what I will like it to look like but with the menu and social icons lining up exactly as the top one. Seems like a matter of justified center not sure but I could not find anyway to do that.

So to sum up...
    1. I want the top menu and social icons removed.
    2. I want the bottom one both menu and social icons to replace the top one
    3. I want them lined up like the top one.
    4. I want the image background to show behind them. No gaps or white space on the page as a result.
    I want this same exact setup on all the other pages and not just on the home page. Same for mobile phone and tablet.
    I would imagine on mobile phone and maybe tablet the menu will be aligned vertically instead of horizontally whatever works best.

• Dave

Morning Tyler Postle I had a chance to think about my last reply overnight and realized before replacing the menu and social icons on top with the bottom one, I rather try this first.

In the top menu with the icons how do I change that color background transparent? That is, see through but with portions of the image background? Same for mobile phone and tablet.

I will like to try this first and if I don't like it i will then proceed with my first option.

I will try and upload an example if this is not clear to you.

Sorry for any inconveniences this may have caused.

• Dave

In these examples please keep in mind that everything I am referring to always apply to PC, Mobile and Tablet.

After actually seeing these examples, if at all possible I will like to keep the background color but transparent with options to toggle it on and off (visible/invisible) since the final background color and transparency will be determined by the actual image background I will use on the pages for the site. In other words, the background image(s) you see there now on the pages might be replaced with something else. Not sure yet.

But if this is causing too much confusion and/or trouble, I will like the menu/social icons color background removed entirely if that is what it takes. And of course it will also be removed on Mobile and Tablets.

Another thing to note is that the positioning of these elements may not be accurate they are just approximate. In other words just rough examples so wherever is best to position them that's fine.

Option 1 for PC view

Option 2 for PC view

Option 1 for Mobile/Tablet

Option 2 for Mobile/Tablet

Again these will be experimented with so if possible I can toggle the menu/social icons color background on/off if not I will like to remove it entirely.

Thanks

• Tyler Postle

Hey David,

Thanks for the detailed description.

In the top menu with the icons how do I change that color background transparent? That is, see through but with portions of the image background? Same for mobile phone and tablet.

This won't be possible with the top menu, because it's in it's own region and the image below it doesn't extend high enough to go behind it. It's restricted to the confines of it's own region.

What we could try instead that might be easier is adding the menu element into that image region instead of just having the floating menu above it. I think this will make it eaiser to duplicate on your other pages as well. We could make this region a global region so you can easily copy it over to other pages and then change it as needed.

Can you grant support access again?

Then I'll set it up the way I think you'll like it and you can have another look.

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dave,

That's odd that you just got that notification now, it may have been a slight glitch with our server serving it up late. I haven't posted here today yet anyway.

Thanks for granting access. So here is what I did, I added the menu inside your image background region. Which meant I could make it global. So on a new page, you can simply add that global region and it will already have your menu all setup. I realize that you might not want that image on every single page, so what you can do is "localize" the region after you add it to a new page, then you make changes to it without affecting the other global region placements.

I made a screencast to illustrate how to add a global region and how to localize it: http://www.screencast.com/t/9p1yOGIvi7J

I also changed the menu to a burger icon that will display the menu when clicked. It would take custom development to have it appear how your screenshot above illustrates. Plus the image wouldn't be high enough on mobile to fix all the menu items, so I think the burger icon is the best solution. Here's how it looks:

I saved that global region on your Contact Us page, so you can see it there - you can also try adding it to a new page if you like.

****Pretend that the top header menu isn't on the pages right now. I've left it there just in-case we decide to keep it on some pages, but we can easily hide that Header.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Dave

Thanks a lot for help

So here is what I did, I added the menu inside your image background region. Which meant I could make it global. So on a new page, you can simply add that global region and it will already have your menu all setup.

Yes global is the goal as I mentioned I want all changes to be global unless I misunderstood. For new pages I got that part.

There is still a problem though. When I click (burger I guess it's called) and get the menu drop down the background color is still behind the menu. It can't be transparent with the image background showing though like in my illustration?

Also on the home page clicking the top right x of the menu won't make it go away it keeps stubbornly reappearing.

Another problem is on the other pages (not the home page) that drop down menu when I click on that top right x it accidentally click the Instagram Social icon right behind it and I end up on instagram website. I guess all this is because what yoyu did on the home page is not yet on the other pages.

I made a screencast to illustrate how to add a global region and how to localize it: http://www.screencast.com/t/9p1yOGIvi7J

I assume you mean to use that screencast for any future pages? Sounds like it but let me know.

I also changed the menu to a burger icon that will display the menu when clicked. It would take custom development to have it appear how your screenshot above illustrates. Plus the image wouldn't be high enough on mobile to fix all the menu items, so I think the burger icon is the best solution.

Totally confused since only the burger icon is made invisible over the background which seem only a small part of my goal.

As I mentioned my goal was to hide the menu background color and have the links show through to the background image as in my illustration otherwise I have no clue what the new changes will accomplish. At least not to the extent of what I had in mind. Seems like I might as well go back to how the menu/social icons defaulted in the theme.

So if your illustration is basically how it will look in the end again ,that was not my goal because all I see is very little changes but not enough to change the design to my likings.

However, I do understand what you mean by the development. i am not asking you to do that. I know you can't go to all that trouble just want to be clear what my initial goals were and if i am correct, then again I might as well go back to the theme default. At this point I am not sure how I can do that myself.

Don't mean to be repetitive but if I am correct as to my overall goals and that they don't seem possible can the menu and social icons be put back the way they were to show not only on computers but on cell phone and tablets as well.

Thanks

• Tyler Postle

Hey David,

There is still a problem though. When I click (burger I guess it's called) and get the menu drop down the background color is still behind the menu. It can't be transparent with the image background showing though like in my illustration?

It can't be on mobile because that image background region adapts to the size of a mobile screen, so it becomes to small to fit the menu overtop of it. What I can do those is still make that popup menu semi-transparent like in your example, so it is a bit more similar to what you originally had in mind.

Try out the mobile menu now :slight_smile:

I added this to the custom CSS:

/* transparent mobile menu */
    div[data-style="burger"] ul.menu {
      background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.6) none repeat scroll 0 0;
    }

div.upfront-navigation div.burger_overlay {
      background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);
    }

As I mentioned my goal was to hide the menu background color and have the links show through to the background image as in my illustration otherwise I have no clue what the new changes will accomplish

It won't be possible to have the image be the whole menu background on mobile because of the reason above.

Another problem is on the other pages (not the home page) that drop down menu when I click on that top right x it accidentally click the Instagram Social icon right behind it and I end up on instagram website. I guess all this is because what yoyu did on the home page is not yet on the other pages.

Yes, that should be resolved once we have just the one menu on each page.

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Dave

It can't be on mobile because that image background region adapts to the size of a mobile screen, so it becomes to small to fit the menu overtop of it. What I can do those is still make that popup menu semi-transparent like in your example, so it is a bit more similar to what you originally had in mind.

I was referring to the color background of the menu and not the image bg or I am not following you but testing mobile on home page looks really good so far. That is what I want on all the other pages and the tablet and pc as well sorry if I am being so repetitive. I will be adding background images to the other pages just not sure if it will be all of them just yet.

I know that on the pc/tablet it will be a different shape (the transparent background) and that's fine as long as I can play with the width and maybe the height if I need to change those dimensions. If not I guess it will have to remain as is.

Looking great! Let me know when you're done. Thanks!

• Tyler Postle

Awesome, I think we're making some progress here :slight_smile:

I've hidden the default Header menu on your home page and all your pages.

So to add the new menu to all your existing pages, you will need to do it manually via this method in my screencast: http://www.screencast.com/t/9p1yOGIvi7J

So just adding the global region to each one then making sure you localize it(as shown in screencast) that way you can add a different image to each one or remove the default image.

I've created a custom page template for you too so any new pages you can just apply the new template and you will be ready to go, the menu region in this one is already localized so you can make any changes to it you like without it changing on other pages. The template is called: Spirit Menu Page Template

Here's how to apply it: http://screencast.com/t/rYEQTujvMyxx

If you want to apply this to your posts as well then it's even easier as we can just apply a menu region to one post and then save it across all posts of that post type.

Let me know if you have further questions on that.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Dave

Your example video is too wide for my browser and I can't see what is going on with your mouse movement even when I pause it. And i have to scroll way down to the bottom to pause the video then scroll way back up pick up where I left off. I have to scroll up and down and from side to side long story but it's still not working out. It's really bad to follow it. I can only use Explorer right now to view your jing video long story.

So if you can reduce the dimensions of that vidoe to my browser size and also slow down with your mouse moves. I can't follow because also the mouse is also too hard to see with this problem. And Jing don't do the best job at pausing videos.

The only solution I can think of is to place your video inside some html codes to make it fit inside the browser window which I can do no problem but since i do not have your .swf file I cannot do it.

So again if possible to make video smaller and slow down your mouse moves that would be appreciated.

Can you do this today?

• Dave

I think I might have added the menu ok for the schedule page but on the pc I can get to the schedule page ok using the menu link but on my phone when I click the schedule link it says "page not found" and it still take me to the Instagram page when click the x.

I checked in Responsive/Mobile view and it seems like the schedule link is ok there just not working on my cell.

I extended support for another 4 days.

• Dave

Added the menu to the other pages and localized all regions. Those bg images are only placeholders but may not all remain just wanted to be sure I did them right just in case she want them there.

I don't see a localize region for mobile or tablet so I assume I just change those bg images for each page.

There are still a few more issues like the one I mentioned above.

Please let me know if this comment below sounds like another ticket I should open. I only place it here seeing that we are also dealing with the social icons.

On the "Our Challenges" page at the bottom are some bullet points with social icons links which of course you can only see the actual links in the editor. I tried to remove them but it seems like they caused the social icons to be removed from some of the other site pages (the actual pages not in the editor) so I had to put them back.

Those links cannot remain on that page but not sure what is going on there or what to do with them in a way it won't affect the rest of the website.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dave,

That's very odd you keep getting notifications so late. I'll mention this to our developer see if they can find out why. I haven't posted anything since my last post above.

I don't see a localize region for mobile or tablet so I assume I just change those bg images for each page.

Localizing it outside of the Responsive Mode will localize it for all resolutions, so no problem there :slight_smile: you only need to localize it once. Not for each responsive type.

Please let me know if this comment below sounds like another ticket I should open. I only place it here seeing that we are also dealing with the social icons.

This would be best in a new ticket. It sounds like it likely has to do with the footer being global, but best to troubleshoot that in a new ticket as this one already has quite a few posts and right now is still focused on the menu region :slight_smile:

Can you re-voke then re-grant support access? It has an invalid token right now so I can't login. Once I can login again then I'll check the other issues you mentioned above regarding the page not found and also instagram link.

I'm going to get one of our staff who has an Android based device to test your site. I have a feeling the issue you're seeing is due to have an older device.

You can re-voke and re-grant support access in the same place:

You can grant support access via WPMU DEV > Support > Grant Support Access.

http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Talk to you soon.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dave,

But I do like the menu sliding in from left that's really different. Would like it to stay there and if possible. I will learn to do that myself.

Here's a screenshot illustrating where to select which side it comes in from :slight_smile:

You need to go into Responsive mode first then select the settings for the menu.

Just thought about it. That new menu setup is probably how it supposed to work?

There are a few mobile menu options, you can check them out if you go to the settings while in responsive mode, same place my screenshot is from above. This is one of the options, so it didn't require any custom code to do what is there now. I think it probably is the best option for what you were wanting too.

I have not given any points yet cause I don't know how that system works yet but you deserve really high points. Will get to it.

Appreciate that! Just happy that we got it all sorted :slight_smile:

No need to send any points, those are more for members to earn/give to each other. We'll have a points store soon where you can spend them on stuff.

For staff feedback, just use the little smiley icons at the bottom of each staff post. That's what we use for our staff rating system, so same goes for any other staff members you'd like to rate when they provide you support.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.