Menu Editor is still showing items I've hid

Predrag Dubajic thanks for looking at this. The plugin is actually Menu Editor, but it didn't show up in the plugin list here (in writing this ticket). Everything on the admin dashboard is hidden correctly except for these items, which should be completely hidden: Advanced Ads, Appearance, Users, Tools, Popups, and Links. Could you take a look at these?

  • Adam Czajczyk

    Hello Dawn,

    I hope you're having a nice day today!

    The "Menu Editor" plugin doesn't show up in a list here because it's not our plugin - we didn't develop it and we don't distribute it

    As for the issue. I assume that this question is related to some other of your topics on Support Forum here so could you please replay with either a link to your original question or a detailed description of the issue?

    Best regards,
    Adam

  • Dawn

    Adam Czajczyk Thanks for replying! I don't have a thread open for this topic. I installed Menu Editor because I wanted to limit what appears on my store admin's dashboards. I went in and added super-admin to the extra check for the items I wanted to hide. All of them worked except for those listed above, which still show up on their dashboards.

    Once upon a time I was using AAM to accomplish this same thing, but I no longer am using that plugin.

  • Adam Czajczyk

    Hello Dawn!

    Thanks for replying! I don't have a thread open for this topic

    I assumed that you already talked with Predrag about the issue because you addressed the question directly to him and thanked him for looking into it right from the start, hence my confusion Thanks for explaining this and sharing more details on the problem!

    I installed Menu Editor because I wanted to limit what appears on my store admin's dashboards. I went in and added super-admin to the extra check for the items I wanted to hide. All of them worked except for those listed above, which still show up on their dashboards.

    I checked your site and also checked the Menu Editor plugin on my own Multisite setup. While the plugin is working well most of the time it seems that there are cases that it's not able to handle: in case of some menu items/plugins the "dashboard page link" that's used by the plugin isn't quite the same as the one you see in browser URL bar when you access that page.

    This is because either in plugin there's an inconsistance in URL/slug definitions in code or the page is redirected (kind of "pretty links") by WordPress internally or the plugin itself redirects to one of its own sub-pages when its "main" page is not available. The "or" here is because it's different for different plugins/menu items. I know that this sounds a bit "twisted" but it's something that seems to be causing that issue. It looks like the Menu Editor in such cases is not identifying these "items" (or rather their "target pages" properly) so the "protection" is not applied.

    For example: for "Links" element the "link-manager.php" page is protected but that page actually is not ever access because an internal "redirect" is like that: "link-manager.php -[loads]-> link-add.php". The "Link-add.php" page should be protected by the plugin but it cannot find/identify this.

    This is a plugin issue so I'd suggest turning to the "Menu Editor" developers and letting them know about that or trying a Pro version that seems to have better options. I can't however say for sure that it will work as expected because I didn't have a chance to try it.

    The workaround for that would be to hide these "persistent" menu items with some additional code or you could give this plugin a try:

    https://wordpress.org/plugins/adminimize/

    It's popular and well rated so it may be worth giving a chance.

    Best regards,
    Adam