Menu Link Styles Conflict, Nested Element Linking Issues and other questions

Hi, I've been spending A LOT of time with upfront lately and by far it has been the best builder experience that I've worked in thus far. It's really the only builder that allows my clients to manage content/menus/pages/posts/etc on the frontend.

However, I after digging in quite a bit, I'm starting to uncover more roadblocks that will impact my clients UX. Can you please help me out with the following:

1. Menu Link Styles
- The customize menu allows me to change the A and A:Hover elements, but the menu needs to have a separate option. For example, some clients have a dark header with white menu color, but the rest of their site backgrounds are white with black text. By editing the A and A:Hover color in the customizer, it changes both colors of the menu and site links. I need to be able to separate these so that the menu links can remain white, and the site content links can be their accent color. I know that this can be done with CSS...but I'd prefer it if my clients did not have to do this.

2. Nested Linking Issue within text box
- When a link is added to a nested element within the text box...such as an icon...the editor strips out the tags and displays code - See screencast - http://www.screencast.com/t/4c4hyvNR

3. Some Shortcodes Rendered will Prevent Upfront from Loading
- I'm using a plugin for some clients called "bookly" that is a standalone version of an appointment request form. It utilizes ajax for a multipage and minimal output. When putting the shortcode in the upfront editor, everything works great after I save...however, when the editor is exited and I attempt to open upfront again....it will stall on "loading". I'm assuming that the actual rendered shortcode has caused a conflict. I had an idea to put the item within a widget, but as it renders out fully, I'm assuming that the same results would occur. Do you have any ideas on a workaround?

4. Blog Layout
- In general...this seems to be like the most neglected feature I've seen from upfront. When I utilize the "post" element and drag around the option order (tags above feature image for instance) it either does not save...or spits back a really funky layout. Ideally I would want to completely overhaul the css on the blog pages alone, but also provide the customizability that upfront offers (i.e. post layout 1, 2 , 3...etc), what would be the best way to execute this?

5. Responsive Layouts
- This has become more of a pain to me than anything. For instance....when I alter a font and its styles....I have to go into each break point and adjust the font and styles...essentially tripling my work for every global edit. This is particularly bad for when my clients are trying to edit their site or create a new site. Is there a way to setup the breakpoints to inherit its' parent's styling in general?

I have a few more questions but I would rather exhaust my options prior to wasting your time first. So if I havent figured out my other roadblocks....I will come back.

Thanks for the great support and look forward to hearing from you.

• Michelle Shull

Hi dub!

Thanks for your feedback/questions here. Typically, we ask users to keep unrelated issues/feedback in separate threads, so it's easier for us to provide support, and easier to search if other members have similar questions later.

Since CSS fixes won't work for you, there may be some of this I can only address as a feature request. Some of the things you want aren't yet available in the Upfront themes, but they may be addressed in future releases. I'm unable to provide custom extensions or core code changes in the support forum.

Let's address your issues one by one.

1. Menu Link Styles
    - The customize menu allows me to change the A and A:Hover elements, but the menu needs to have a separate option. For example, some clients have a dark header with white menu color, but the rest of their site backgrounds are white with black text. By editing the A and A:Hover color in the customizer, it changes both colors of the menu and site links. I need to be able to separate these so that the menu links can remain white, and the site content links can be their accent color. I know that this can be done with CSS...but I'd prefer it if my clients did not have to do this.

Right now, further menu style customizations have to be added via the custom CSS tool in Upfront, there are no hidden options that would allow you to use different link colors for the menu v. the content links without giving unique properties to the menu link CSS.

2. Nested Linking Issue within text box
    - When a link is added to a nested element within the text box...such as an icon...the editor strips out the tags and displays code - See screencast - http://www.screencast.com/t/4c4hyvNR

I can replicate this on my site, we found a bug. I'll report it right away.

3. Some Shortcodes Rendered will Prevent Upfront from Loading
    - I'm using a plugin for some clients called "bookly" that is a standalone version of an appointment request form. It utilizes ajax for a multipage and minimal output. When putting the shortcode in the upfront editor, everything works great after I save...however, when the editor is exited and I attempt to open upfront again....it will stall on "loading". I'm assuming that the actual rendered shortcode has caused a conflict. I had an idea to put the item within a widget, but as it renders out fully, I'm assuming that the same results would occur. Do you have any ideas on a workaround?

We're still working on supporting as many shortcodes as we can, but there's still a lot of work to do. I'm guessing the way this shortcode works is currently incompatible with Upfront. Can you link me to the plugin? I can pass it on to the dev so he can take a look!

4. Blog Layout
    - In general...this seems to be like the most neglected feature I've seen from upfront. When I utilize the "post" element and drag around the option order (tags above feature image for instance) it either does not save...or spits back a really funky layout. Ideally I would want to completely overhaul the css on the blog pages alone, but also provide the customizability that upfront offers (i.e. post layout 1, 2 , 3...etc), what would be the best way to execute this?

You're totally right here, we've got work to do on the blog pages, but I'd love to see what you're seeing, can you grab me a few screenshots of what the blog pages are looking like for you?

5. Responsive Layouts
    - This has become more of a pain to me than anything. For instance....when I alter a font and its styles....I have to go into each break point and adjust the font and styles...essentially tripling my work for every global edit. This is particularly bad for when my clients are trying to edit their site or create a new site. Is there a way to setup the breakpoints to inherit its' parent's styling in general?

For this one, I'm going to tag my most awesomest colleague @Jack Kitterhing, because he's a genius, and he's going to have a much better answer here than I do.

Thanks so much for your feedback, and the nice words about Upfront! We're glad you see the same potential in it as we do; we're glad to have you along for the journey.

Let me know if I can be more help here.

• dub3325

Hiya Michelle!

Thanks for the quick response! And for future requests, I will most definitely separate them for archivability.

Anyway, here are the responses to yours:

Bookly Plugin:
    - http://codecanyon.net/item/bookly-responsive-wordpress-appointment-booking-and-scheduling-plugin/7226091
    - http://booking-wp-plugin.com/documentation/
    Purchased plugin (Please make this link private as to protect the seller) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgz9um81v9ovosb/appointment-booking.zip?dl=0

Blog Bugs
    Screencast of the funky layout and not saving after refresh

Sucks that there are no easy fixes for my client woes, but I'll probably hack a quick and dirty fix just temporarily until you guys get to it.