Menus are not appear on all new created sub-site

Hello

For some reason, I cannot create menu in all new sub-sites.

I clone a sub-site to be new one, then create a menu, then noted this is not appear..
everything I create on Appearance ? Menus just gone after clicked "Save Menu", I tried to Google and added below codes to my PHP editor on WHM on server end.
suhosin.post.max_vars = 5000
suhosin.request.max_vars = 5000

and also expanded "max_input_vars" to 5000

but still no help.

I created another wordpress on same server, then copy the new created sub-site to that new created wordpress by Snapshot, then I can see all items in Menus, so I think those items just cannot appear in my wordpress?
- it seems not related to PHP settings (those 2 wordpress are sharing same PHP ver.),
- it seems not related to theme, since I copied theme also by Snapshot..so those wordpress are using same theme and setting.
- it seems not related to plugins, I tried to 1 by 1 Network deactivate plugins to test with no luck...

Can you please help to suggest me next step to trace this issue?

Please...

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello IT,

In this case next step is to enable debug in WordPress where it doesn't work and see what will show in the file when you try again to create menu. To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Depending on whether you want your errors to be only logged or also displayed on the screen you should also have this line there, immediately after the line mentioned above:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.

I would need then to see content of the debug.log file - so please upload it to service like a Dropbox and paste link here.

kind regards
    Kasia

• apurba_podder

Hello It,
    Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I could tell you better about the issue if I could see it live, check your current configuration & settings. Would you mind allowing Support Access so we can have a closer look at this?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please confirm here when you are done granting Support Access. I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Kind regards
    Apurba

• Nithin

Hi IT,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I logged in to your website using support access, and I created a new subsite(wpmutest), but I wasn't able to replicate the issue. I went to Appearance > Menus, and created a new menu, and it was working fine.

Could you please check the newly created subsite, and please advise whether I'm missing out anything here? The menus seems to appear without any issue. If you are still able to replicate this, please do point that out in this newly created site, and we'll make sure to help get you resolved asap. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

Hi IT,

Sorry for not noticing that, I could see the issue in your iislondon, iissingapore subsite, but it seems like you deleted these subsites while I was checking it.?

I then tried to clone a random subsite(eshoptalkasia), but I wasn't able to replicate the issue, the menu worked fine. Could you please specify from which subsite you tried to clone? So, that I could replicate the issue while cloning, and help get you sorted asap. I have removed the test cloned subsite.

Since it's a live site, is it okay, if I could disable the plugins(network activated plugins too), and see whether any plugins are causing this issue, or not?

Please do let us know, so that I could give a closer look. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• IT

Hi Nithin

Sorry, I was not aware you are checking.
    As I said, I use Snapshot to backup the sub-site then restore to other Wordpress, then the issue will no appear even they are under same theme setting, same PHP config file.
    I deleted them since I just try to do same thing on this Wordpress, but..no lock..sigh

This is difficult for me to trace back which website that my colleague ask me to clone..sorry about this.

Besides, since our sites are up and running, I cannot disable plugins to test at day time, let me do this on midnight at HKT.

I am tried to do this from last night, it seems no problem at my 11th Feb backup.

I'll keep you posted for this.

Thanks for your help!!

• Nithin

Hi IT,

As I said, I use Snapshot to backup the sub-site then restore to other Wordpress, then the issue will no appear even they are under same theme setting, same PHP config file.
    I deleted them since I just try to do same thing on this Wordpress, but..no lock..sigh

Since the Snapshot workaround didn't help. I guess you are cloning a subsite which had this issue with the menu, and hence you are noticing this, so asked from which subsite it was cloned. I maybe wrong, as I haven't tested this extensively.

Please do let us know how your test goes, so that I could test this extensively during your time zone that's HKT midnight, if you still have issues.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• IT

Hi Nithin

Thanks for your response.

I tried to rollback my server backup 1 by 1 to test (Luckily, I save all backup file to my home FTP from beginning ), then I noted the backup file on 17th Feb didn't have this issue.

then I tried to trace what happen on 18th, but no luck...I can't recall anything..." all users cannot access "Edit" feature in Wordpress and FTP, cPanel...so they have no chance to edit backend code, and they can't install plugin.

I haven't do anything on that day and my freelancers didn't edit anything also (we use Bitbucket to log all changes)

The first sub-site we note the menu issue is "torontomandt", I found the menu on this sub-site is work on 17th Feb, so that my next stage is going to backup all sub-site 1 by 1 by Snapshot, then rollback the server backup to that status and then restore websites from Snapshot 1 by 1..

let me see if this can be fixed the issue, I'll keep you posted.

B.Rgds
    Eric

• IT

Hi Nithin

Sorry for late.
    I keep the server status to updated version, then delete all websites who cannot create menu.
    I cannot figure out the issue, so just export all data from the website then create new one and import data..

I note when I clone the website by Cloner, it said cannot copy the menu since no menu slug, not sure what is it, but I eventually give up...at least the issue is gone now.

Really appreciate your help!!

Thank you
    B.Rgds
    Eric

• Nithin

Hey Eric,

Sorry for the delay in getting back, Kasia meant the error when you try to clone the website. If you are still having issues, and to have a better idea about this, please do send us your credentials, and also mention on which site you get the error when you try to clone, so that we could give a closer look.

You can send credentials by using our secure contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

- To Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Nithin Ramdas
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Please do keep us posted once you have sent the credentials, have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin