message site is down

i receive a few messages that this site is down and it is not. where is the problem with this site and i am getting theses messages ??
Thanks a lot

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi nicolas

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The Uptime monitoring is showing that the site is down currently due to "request timeout". You're right, it is loading - so it's up - and I also checked if it responds to external queries (similar to what our Uptime is using) properly and it does.

Let me explain:

- in order to check whether the site is up or not, our Uptime check connects to the site, requesting it to respond with HTTP head, about every couple of minutes.
    - this is similar to what any other uptime check does, though the methods might be slightly different - some checks are trying to "load the site" like browser would, some are just sending ping request to the host, some are loading only headers (like ours)
    - regardless of the method, uptime checks can cause a massive amount of requests to the server which is not always "well handled" by the host
    - furthermore, if the site doesn't respond (e.g. cause it's temporarily down at the moment or it's temporarily overloaded and responds too slow) uptime check checks it even more frequently in order to detect when it gets up - but this causes even more traffic.

Taking that and the "request timout" message into account, the most probable reason is that there's some sort of a firewall or other security layer implemented on server (or site - but I don't have access to the site at the moment) that causes those uptime check requests to be "ignored"/rejected.

So, if the site, instead of responding with some valid HTTP headers such as either 200 ("everything's fine") or e.g. 403 ("forbidden") doesn't respond at all within 30 seconds, the Uptime check considers it down.

That said, there would be two things to start with:

1) if you got any security plugins/services implemented on site (such as e.g. Wordfence, iThemes security, Sucuri or other firewall) see if the you can temporarily - just for testing - disable it and if the Uptime check starts to work again; if yes, we could then see if we could do anything to keep that security tool on and still allow uptime check

2) if above is not an issue, please get in touch with your host and ask them if they could check the logs to see if they did (automatically or manually) detect and block or limited uptime requests. They should be able to identify them anyway but most likely they'd be coming from any of these IPs:

They might need to white-list them too.

Let me know about results, please. If none of that helps, please enable support access to the site (by going to the "WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access" page in site's back-end and clicking on "Grant support access" button there) and we'll investigate the case further.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.