Meta keywords and Smart Crawl

I've read a few articles lately about meta keywords and how none of the major search engines are using the property any more because it's so easy to spam. There is even some debate about whether they might actually hurt your search ranking. So, I decided to remove them from one of my sites. Here's where it gets a little tricky:

It appears that SmartCrawl is taking the "focus keywords" and adding them to the page as meta keywords. (I have the toggle for "Tags As Keywords" set to "off".) The tricky part is that I want the recommendations from SmartCrawl for improvement, so I have to put in focus keywords. However, if I put in focus keywords, I get meta keywords, which I don't want.

Anyone else seeing that behavior? Thoughts?

Thanks,

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Jack,

I was able to replicate the same issue with the focus words used as keywords. I'm not sure at the moment if that was designed this was intentionally so I'm going to check with plugin developers.

I think a workaround would be to make SEO Analysis with Focus Words first and when it's done, remove Focus Words from it.

I will keep you posted.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.