Methods you like with using the Affiliate plugin...?

Hey folks,

I was wondering if you could offer your opinion and also what the trends look like (from your perspective) in offering affiliate programs?

What are some best practices for policies and setup that seem to work well?

Some things we are looking at are:

1. Should one require affiliates to be a paid member in order to receive revenue from being affiliates?

2. Is the plugin now associated with Protected Content plugin?

3. Should one prescreen affiliates for the type of industry they are in, their website url, etc to be sure their audience/effort align or compliment the company that is wanting to start the affiliate program (i.e. making it "open" to all or "private" to only those who are approved?

Can the Affiliate plugin be setup to only allow select users access to the Affiliate info if deciding to make it be "private" or approved affiliates only?

4. If making it open OR private is there concerns with if they put a bunch of links to the site that are spammy or questionable sites (is their risk for getting penalize by search engines if it happens too much). This is one reason to potentially make it private where affiliates are prescreened/approved first. Or, is this not the right thinking about it and just not worry about it and make it "open" to all . . .?

5. Pros and cons?

6. Anything to add?

Appreciate the thoughts, opinions, or ideas from your unique perspective . . . smile.

Greg

• Greg

Quick add . . .

. . . oh, and in regards to #1 and #3 . . . if open or private . . . having a condition to where generally they should be be a paying users and/or approved (depending on if one uses the "open" or "private" model where they have to be approved first based on their site) . . . I guess having some exceptions in place may make sense (like if there are persons/websites who have significant influence, authority, etc etc) . . . so one exception might be if that is the case, then one could waive the general policy of them having to be a paying member (unless they wanted to be)?

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @Greg,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

It's not necessary the user to be a paid member to receive revenue from being affiliates.

Currently the Protected Content plugin is not integrated with the Affiliates plugin but there is already a feature request created for this feature on the following threads and this feature may be added in future version of plugin but We don't publish ETAs to prevent disappointment if a deadline is missed(which in plugin development quite a frequent occurrence!).

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/is-affiliate-integrated-with-protected-content
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/protected-content-is-it-integrated-with-affiliates

If you want to delay payouts to affiliates until they have been manually approved then set the affiliaes option "Pay only approved affiliates" in the Affiliates Settings. Affiliates will still be able to generate leads, whilst they are waiting to be approved.

For your other questions i am not sure so i have asked my colleague @Jack Kitterhing to reply here with his valuable reply providing us information about it.

Thanks,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Greg,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your questions.

1. Should one require affiliates to be a paid member in order to receive revenue from being affiliates?

In my opinion, it's best not to require the affiliates to be paid members, you can do this, but you'd lose out on potential traffic from other affiliates.

2. Is the plugin now associated with Protected Content plugin?

It isn't currently, though once Protected Content version 1.1 is released, we'll be looking into creating integrations with our other existing plugins.

3. Should one prescreen affiliates for the type of industry they are in, their website url, etc to be sure their audience/effort align or compliment the company that is wanting to start the affiliate program (i.e. making it "open" to all or "private" to only those who are approved?

This all depends on what you want to achieve, if you want maximum traffic and don't mind what type of site your site it promoted on, then I'd say no. Though it can be a good idea and provide a more "exclusive" affiliate program that members want to join and promote.

4. If making it open OR private is there concerns with if they put a bunch of links to the site that are spammy or questionable sites (is their risk for getting penalize by search engines if it happens too much). This is one reason to potentially make it private where affiliates are prescreened/approved first. Or, is this not the right thinking about it and just not worry about it and make it "open" to all . . .?

No you won't be penalized by search engines, as long as it's a no follow link and you don't link to their sites. This is where the pro of keeping it closed comes into play though, as you'll be able to build a better relationship with fewer affiliates and perhaps even run timed promotions.

. . . oh, and in regards to #1 and #3 . . . if open or private . . . having a condition to where generally they should be be a paying users and/or approved (depending on if one uses the "open" or "private" model where they have to be approved first based on their site) . . . I guess having some exceptions in place may make sense (like if there are persons/websites who have significant influence, authority, etc etc) . . . so one exception might be if that is the case, then one could waive the general policy of them having to be a paying member (unless they wanted to be)?

In general this wouldn't be a good idea to make that sort of thing public, it's ok to do this privately, though you shouldn't make it clear that it's a one rule for them, one rule for us type situation, though you could have something such as "Have 50k+ twitter followers and 100,000 unique visits a month? Contact us for unique partnership opportunities".

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.