Migrate from MultiSite to Single Site

My client no longer wants to continue the idea of multiple WP sites and hence I need to cancel the multisite subscription and migrate back to a single site WP installation. How do I do this?

• Kris
    • Support

Hi Alexander

Hope you are doing good today.

We respond to all tickets here in an order, from oldest to newest, in order to minimize waiting time. Usually it’s not so long but sometimes there’s a bigger queue of tickets and due to an increase workload, the waiting time might get longer because of that.

As for change all your sites (which exist in network) to separate single installations you can follow our guide here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/help-i-need-to-migrate-a-wordpress-multisite-a-step-by-step-guide/

Section: “Scenario #2: Migrate Single Site out of Multisite“.

Hope this help :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

Kris

• Kris
    • Support

Hi Alexander

You can make network backup via Snapshot in two ways:

1. Snapshot -> Snapshots (this will backup database, media, plugins and themes)

2. Snapshot -> Managed backups (this option will backup everything including wp core files and all additional files and folders which exist on your wordpress root installation).

Kind Regards,

Kris

• Alexander
    • New Recruit

I am on my second attempt, I managed to get the site to work (after seeing broken links and then tracing them back to having to upload the site specific uploads directory from “uploads” under wp_content which your instructions DID NOT specify), but now the old site (front end ok) but I cant login to the backend.

The new site for some reason is showing a similar template but not exactly the same as the existing site on multisite. This is an absolute bloody mess.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Alexander,

Sorry to hear about the ongoing issues you are facing. If you are trying to change the main site to a single site, changing the define in multisite added in wp-config.php:

define( 'WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true );

To:

define( 'WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', false );

Would be a workaround to easily switch a multisite to Single Site, however, there would be data specific to Multisite still present.

The ideal way would be to migrate., but I’m afraid, there isn’t any out of the box setting workflow when it comes to migrating from Multisite to a single site, and would require manual workflow as mentioned in the given article.

, but now the old site (front end ok) but I can’t login to the backend.

If I’m not wrong changes were done only in the new site, right? If yes, there isn’t any instance where such an action would bring the old site to not work.

It’s tough to say what could have caused it without seeing the website live. I just checked the old site, and it looks like a new install? Are you able to access the dashboard of your new site? If yes, please do enable support access for both the websites so that we could have a better idea.

You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Please let us know once you enable access so that we could have a better idea regarding what’s being missed.

Kind Regards,

Nithin

Regards,

Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.