Migrating 130 WP sites to Multisite... step by step...

I have a project where we are considering to migrate 130 WP sites, each with about 800 existing posts/pages plus about 25 with static html pages to a multisite installation. All the same owner.

Would this be a monumental task for a semi-newbie?

Are there step-by-step instructions anywhere to be found for doing a migration like that?

Thanks

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

Yeah, that's a pretty big task.

While you can export the content into a WXR file and import into the Multisite other elements like plugin settings, widget layout and users won't be transferred so you'd need to do those manually.

Multiply that by 130 and you're potentially looking at several days worth of work to get them all moved.

A number of members have mentioned using BackupBuddy in similar scenarios so you might want to check that out, though I haven't used it myself.

Thanks,
    Phil

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey tripvendor, :slight_smile:

Thats no small task!

I have a project where we are considering to migrate 130 WP sites, each with about 800 existing posts/pages plus about 25 with static html pages to a multisite installation. All the same owner.

If all articles and pages have the same owner then that could make it a little easier! You could use the standard export/import features. If there are multiple users on each install and they are authors (ie own articles or content on their ID) then it all gets much more complex.

The issue as Phil mentioned is those finer settings, if something like backupbuddy would work for you then it would be a serious consideration.

Take care.

• tripvendor
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi - thanks for replies. fortunately sites are very similar. I just need to set up a couple new sites to become familiar with how everything works and then migrate them in bunches. definitely worth doing... maintenance has become out of control otherwise.

• Mark de Scande
    • Syntax Hero

@tripvendor it took me about a week to do the setup :slight_smile: a lot of hard work but i love it now as there is now "one" i have to update and that is it no longer 80 domain names

So yes it is doable but it is hard work good luck.

@WPMU Guys i see a lot of these post were guys are moving over from single WordPress sites to multi site is there no way we can have a SUPER PLUG MERGE that can do this for the guys.

Trust me you have a hole bunch of stuff to help the user along the way so maby do a easy plug to do just this Import a lit of blogs then post pages then all the customer has to do is map his "blog" to the domain name and then delete the "account" then set up the new domain name and so on.

Come on @WPMU if any body can do it the guys @WMPU can do it :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Well something I would like to see would be a cool WP single/multisite manager.

I know there are a couple of options out there but none which do it all. I think then an option for the admin to be able to move sites from one install to another would be amazing!

For example: http://managewp.com/

I couldn't see an option to move sites and users around though.

But I think something like that would work very well. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.