Migrating a Multisite with Snapshot Pro

Hi,

I am currently migrating all of my Multisite installs:

Now that you have your snapshot ready, install a brand new WordPress site (or Multisite install) on your new server. This also includes all instances of where you would like your site to be moved whether you would like to migrate a site within a network or adding a site to a network.

Does this mean that I should create all of the subdomains in the new install first before I migrate?

( I have not had success yet as I get an "Error establishing a database connection" error: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/migrating-multisite-with-snapshot-pro#post-1232603)

Thanks,

Justin

Nastia

Hello Justin , hope you're doing well!

If you creating a backup from Snapshot > Add Snapshot, the plugin backing up only a subsite. So in that case, you need to create a snapshot file for each site.

You can try a different path and create one full backup of your site from Snapshot Pro > Managed Backups. The backup will be uploaded to our cloud and you can download it from the Hub along with snapshot-installer.php.

Upload both files to a new location and open yourdomain.com/snapshot-installer.php follow the step by step instructions there.

Please note that the domain name needs to be the same in a new location (where you migrating your site) otherwise you will have to edit the database tables to set the correct site's URL address.

I have not had success yet as I get an "Error establishing a database connection"

It meant that the site can't connect to your database. Make sure that the database username and password are correct within the wp-config.php file.

Please clarify, you have created new WordPress installation and you seeing this error? Or this happened after you restore a Snapshot file?

Please advise,

Cheers,
    Nastia

Justin

Hi Nastia,

If you creating a backup from Snapshot > Add Snapshot, the plugin backing up only a subsite. So in that case, you need to create a snapshot file for each site.

I don't fully understand what you mean here. Do you mean that it is not backing up all of the subdomains of the Multisite Wordpress site? I thought that Snapshot Pro does this now?

I would really like an answer to my main question:

should I create all of the subdomains in the new install first before I migrate?

Thanks.

Please note that the domain name needs to be the same in a new location

Can you explain a little what you mean here? I am migrating to a new host/server, the domain name and subdomain names remain the same.

Please clarify, you have created new WordPress installation and you seeing this error? Or this happened after you restore a Snapshot file?

After I have restored the Snapshot file. The main site is okay - only the subdomains give this error.

Thanks,
    Justin

Sajid

Hello Justin

I don't fully understand what you mean here. Do you mean that it is not backing up all of the subdomains of the Multisite Wordpress site? I thought that Snapshot Pro does this now?

It does support full site backups including WordPress MultiSites. But please note that, to create full site backup, you have to create a managed backup from WP Dashboard -> Snapshot -> Managed Backup instead of regular Snapshot backup from WP Dashboard -> Snapshot -> Add New.

Please note that the domain name needs to be the same in a new location

If you are using Managed Backup then you don't need to create each subdomain on new MultiSites. It will create all those subsites automatically for you.

Can you explain a little what you mean here? I am migrating to a new host/server, the domain name and subdomain names remain the same.

I am not exactly sure, but I think Nastia was trying to say that Domain name should be same from source to target site. That means, you are only migrating from one server to another, instead of from one server to another server on a different domain.

As you mentioned, you are just migrating from one server to another. Then we are good here.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support