Migrating a static website to a WordPress blog, and consolidating additional WP blogs into first blo

To whom it may concern:

I currently have a static website (with linked Blogger blog), and two WP blogs. All three properties exist as separate self-hosted domains.

Is there an easy way to migrate my website to a WP blog, changing its theme in the process??

Once migrated, I'd like to consolidate my two other blogs into the first blog. Would I need to think of them as separate Categories??

I mention Categories because I'm thinking of a theme that would list (or showcase) different categories as separate entities.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

• DavidM

Hi CelticQuilter and welcome to WPMU DEV!

That does sound doable, though moving content a static website (assuming it's static HTML) would require some manual work, but it would likely just involve copy/pasting your HTML from that site into the WordPress visual editor.

A theme change in the process really doesn't sound like an issue either, just would require a bit of work

For exporting/importing your existing blog contents, you can use the built-in tool at Tools > Import/Export. It's easy to export WordPress content from your existing blogs then importing them into your new blog.

You'll find more information on the Import tool as follows, which should help with getting your content imported from Blogger.
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Tools_Import_Screen

I imagine the categories would be straightforward if they're different between the sites. You can easily change categories by importing just one blog's content, then bulk changing your categories from the Posts list.

Hope that helps, let us know any questions you have on this!

Thanks,
    David

• CelticQuilter

Yes, thank you, David!!

Call me hard-headed, but I didn't want to pay someone to do this (which is how I ended up with a website I have no direct control over) . . .

I've been doing some research on this, reading books and tutorials on the web, and they're all pretty much the same, so I'm not afraid of things blowing up in my face. And, since I intend to do a lot of this "behind the scenes," there won't be any pressure to "fix it before someone notices," LOL!!

I'll keep you posted as I work through things, ok??

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.