Migrating Multisite with Snapshot Pro

Hi,

I need to migrate my WP Multisites to a new server. I have been reading all the documentation and wanted to quickly check a couple of things.

1. I see that Snapshot Pro now supports Multisite which is great. Can I use it do do a full migration of my Pro Site install with all the subsites. Or do I need to backup each subsite separately?

2. If use Snapshot Pro to migrate, do I still need to migrate database tables separately?

3. What is the best way to access the backup from the new installation. Do I need to download and upload or can I create a new (empty) WP Multisite install on the new server, install Snapshot Pro and point it to the backup?

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards,

Justin

• Denitsa

Hello Justin,
    I hope you're doing good and thanks for reaching us!

The main goal of Snapshot is to backup and restore. It has a migration feature, but it is in "beta" version for now. Snapshot can be used to migrate sites, but it's not as featured as the All in one WP Migration plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/all-in-one-wp-migration/) for example.

This said, let's go over your questions:

1. I see that Snapshot Pro now supports Multisite which is great. Can I use it do do a full migration of my Pro Site install with all the subsites. Or do I need to backup each subsite separately?

You can make a backup of your whole WordPress install by using the Snapshot -> Managed Backups section.

The backup will be uploaded to our Cloud.

2. If use Snapshot Pro to migrate, do I still need to migrate database tables separately?

Nope, those will be included in your Managed Backup I mentioned above.

As an FYI, when making single site backups, you can also chose to include all, some or none of your database tables in the snapshot via Snapshot -> Add new under What Tables to Archive.

When you import your backup afterwards, your db will be imported along with everything else.

3. What is the best way to access the backup from the new installation. Do I need to download and upload or can I create a new (empty) WP Multisite install on the new server, install Snapshot Pro and point it to the backup?

As stated in one of our articles on migrating sites with Snapshot:

Now that you have your snapshot ready, install a brand new WordPress site (or Multisite install) on your new server. This also includes all instances of where you would like your site to be moved whether you would like to migrate a site within a network or adding a site to a network.

Install and activate the same themes and plugins on your fresh install that are currently included and activated on the site you want to migrate.

Next, install and activate the theme you would like to use for your migrated site. It needs to be activated before migrating your site, even if it’s included with your snapshot. Taking this step means your site can be ready immediately after migrating.

Install and activate Snapshot on this new site if you don’t already have it active.

Here's the article on migrating sites with Snapshot that might provide further insight into the topic:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/easy-migration-snapshot/

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Regards,
    Denitsa

• Justin

Hallo Denista,

Thanks very much for your comprehensive answer!

So far this has worked a little. The main site looks okay but the subdomains have not come across fully. I am getting the error "Error establishing a database connection" when trying to access them.

Also here the subdomains are not listed properly: https://screencast.com/t/BkKbWxQ6HK

On the sites overview you can see them properly : https://screencast.com/t/D5lDYnV4H9

Also this error is showing: ERROR: Cannot create snapshot folder. Check that the parent folder is writable /home/p50945/domains/reiki-cursus.nl/public_html/wp-content/uploads/snapshots

I am not sure exactly what that means - that is the address of my previous host where the site has been migrated from.

One of things I did wrong was that I see that I didn't download all of the plugins first, I missed a couple.

Also the managed backup failed so this is a local backup. I did take care though to ensure that I had selected all tables, users and plugins when I created the backup and when I restored it.

Also after I created the new WP install I created a test site/subdomain to check the multisite was set up okay which I left in. Maybe I should have deleted that before restoring?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Justin

• Sajid

Hello Justin,
    Hope you are doing good today

I am sorry for delay on this ticket. I see you have created three other tickets of a same issue. I answered this question already here;
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/migrating-a-multisite-with-snapshot-pro

Please post a follow up reply in either one of your three threads to keep things on track and for a fast and efficient support experience.

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support