Migrating Wordpress Content with similar post types

I have a Wordpress site with a Portfolio Post Type that I use for "Services". I'd like to move all that content to a second Wordpress Site as Portfolio posts. However, I already have a Portfolio Post Type on that second site for "Reports." Can I (how do I) create a second Portfolio Post type in the second site and migrate the posts from the first into it??

• Luís

Hi Eyal ,

Hope you're doing well today and sorry for the late reply and all the problems it may have caused.

Firstly, we need to know how the custom post type was created in the "first" site, it came with the theme or was created with a plugin or manually?

Some plugins used to create custom post types, like our CustomPress, have an "Import/Export" feature, that you can use.

However, if it came with the theme, maybe it will require a little more work, to check all the features of the custom post type.

We need to create a custom post type in the second site with the exact same struture, with the same taxonomies (like categories, tags, if exists), capabilities, etc, but with a different "post key value" or "system" name.

Then we can use the import/export feature of WordPress (Tools -> Export) to export the posts, but we need to edit the exported file to replace the "post key value" or "system" name to the new one.

The focus here is, as you already have a Portfolio Post Type in the second site, we need to change the export file with the posts, to a different "post key value" or "system" name, as my teammate Jude mentioned, otherwise it will import them to the existing one (Reports).

In order to help you better and before give more specific suggestions, can you give us access to "first site" admin panel, so we can give a look in your custom post type?

If you don't already know, please, follow the link below, to see how enable the staff login:

http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

When you enable this option, please post again!

Cheers, Luís

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.