Migration Issue

Hello!

I’m trying to move a website from stand-alone to my multi-site. I was able to create the new site on the network, but when I try to manage it, the login takes me to the existing non-network site. How can I log into the new one, upload content, etc?

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Steve

I hope you are doing well!

I was able to create the new site on the network, but when I try to manage it, the login takes me to the existing non-network site

Please clarify, from WodPress multisite, you created a subsite, and once you try to open the site’s Dashboard, it is navigating to another single WordPress site?

Is your WordPress built with a subdomain or with a subdirectory network?

Let me know in what directory is your single site located and in what directory have you installed the multisite?

For easy migration you can try Snapshot plugin.

See here for more information: How to Move a WordPress Site Without Hassle with Snapshot

Please advise,

Cheers,

Nastia

• Steve
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Let’s start over – this is either going to be really complicated or crazy simple.

My hosting package (GoGeek at SiteGround) creates a sub-domain for each domain I host, if you look under cPanel>Subdomains. It also creates a sub-directory for each domain I host, if you look under cPanel>File Manager.

Here’s the fun part – I’m using the root domain of my hosting package as my multisite. So, when I created that network site, to migrate it into the multisite, I accidentally used the existing subdomain, and I think that’s why when I try to login to networksite.multisite.com, it takes me directly to networksite.com.

Will this work as a “migration” strategy, or do I need to use new subdomains?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Steve,

Apologies for the delay here, we didn’t forget you by any means, just been a little busy.

WP Network installation doesn’t require having new folders for your subsites, everything is stored in your main WP installation folder and having subdomain folders created as well will indeed cause issues.

Do you have networksite.multisite.com both as network site and subdomain site with it’s own installation?

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Predrag

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi Steve,

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I’m using the root domain of my hosting package as my multisite

That’s what you should be doing while using WordPress Multisite and when you need to configure it over Subdomain instead of subdirectory.

So, when I created that network site, to migrate it into the multisite,

You mean, you created a subsite within your WordPress Multisite Network and chosen the existing sub-domain ? If that’s the case then you will get redirects.

In WordPress Multisite with subdomain setup, make sure you configure Wildcard Subdomain entry in cPanel.

Then in Network -> Sites create a new sub site with different name that does not exist already in your cPanel.

This is the first step to configure your WordPress Multisite.

Once its configured and working correctly, then you can worry about migrating your existing site into multisite as mentioned by Nastia above.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance :slight_smile:

Best Regards,

Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.