Migration of Membership 2 seems Incomplete

I have tried more than a few times now and keep reverting back to membership after failing to see the migration completed.

Your notice states" When you update to the new version we will migrate your Subscription plans and Members to the new data structure automatically."

The members are imported but I am asked again and again to set up my Subscription Plans. Why aren't they migrating?

Thanks, Lee

• Michelle Shull

Hi, Lee!

What are you seeing in your Membership levels tab after you import from membership? Are there any memberships listed there, and are members assigned to any levels?

You do need to re-add the protection settings for each level, but you should be seeing your subscription list and your members list just fine.

Would you mind if I had a look? If this is ok, just grant me temporary admin access to your site by clicking "Grant Access" button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings from the following path and reply on this thread after granting it?

Admin -> WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access Tab

If you have not installed WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin yet, kindly do that here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard/ and then allow access as per the above process.

Thanks!

• lee_down

Timing.... it's a live user-oriented site and I had it offline for maintenance for a few hours while I tried to do this. After unsuccessfully doing that, I reverted back to the old membership plugin and made the site accessible to the users again.

If it came back online with users and membership levels intact, I'm fine with an exposed site and having to rebuild the protection rules. Open access to content isn't the bigger issue. It's having the members and their existing membership/transaction properly imported for a seamless / error-free operation of the memberships already active.

I'm open to suggestions.

And to answer your question, after the import I still had to create from scratch membership levels. There were none imported/created on import. I was perplexed.

• Michelle Shull

Hi there, Lee!

If you're not seeing any memberships, even a System Membership, being created, then my guess is there's an issue creating the new database data for a membership.

Do you have a staging site you can use to do some more heavy-handed testing? You can export (or use our Snapshot) to export your site (folders, files, database) and import it into a testing environment where breaking things isn't an issue. Ideally, it would be in the same hosting environment, so you could do a separate WordPress install in a subfolder of your current site. Give the db table a unique prefix at setup, and you won't have any issues.

If you can get another testing window, see if you're able to create a new membership level through Membership 2 > Memberships, and check to see if there's a System Membership listed in that list before you attempt another import. Add a user to this level.

Next, log in to PHPMyAdmin (the link will be in your hosting control panel.) and take a look at your site's database. You're going to look for the table called wp_usermeta. (The prefix may be different, depending on the settings when you installed WordPress.) Check, using the user you added to a membership's, the member ID number, and look for that ID in the user_meta table. There should be a row called "Is member" and it will have a 1 or a 0. If the membership was not applied, you'll see a 0 here.

If you see a 1, try importing again, and check the the usermeta table for a user ID you know is in a membership. Look for the is member row, and see if there is a 1 or 0.

This will help us narrow down what's going wrong and where in your import process. I know it's a lot of steps, but as long as you're just looking, not changing anything in the database, it's perfectly safe and totally harmless.

Thanks for reporting back in!

Let me know if you can get a test environment I can take a closer look at.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.