Migration of multisite installation from /wordpress to /

Hello,

Can you please advise on the best plugin to use to migrate a multisite installation from a directory i.e. "/wordpress" to the root "/" on the same domain and same server?

The site I am migrating is 2GB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Anthony

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Anthony,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I wouldn't go for a plugin here. As you're migrating a site between the locations on your own server and domain there's no need to migrate the database, so only the files (though not necessarily) have to be moved and some configuration must be changed.

Also, using plugins that are in fact PHP scripts (thus acting within PHP environment restrictions and limits) might actually break things, for example if the script execution time limit would be reached during the migration.

Having said that you might want to take a look at this article on our blog:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/migrating-wordpress-and-multisite/

Basically, all the steps are the same in your case except that you don't have to download and upload your database and change database login details in WP.

From my own experience, some hosting providers allow you to change the location of the main folder for the domain without erasing this folder's content. This however should be consulted directly with the provider's tech support. If they do support that, you won't even have to move your files, instead you'll be able to simply point your domain to a new location and then just change the WP config accordingly.

I hope that helped!

Regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.