Migration of Multisite Live -> Dev

Hiya guys.

I went about it the wrong way. I started off developing my mu live because I didn't think it would take off. Then it started to take off and now I have angry (rightly so) users that complain when I develop and test features. So I need to move the live install to a development environment.

(Given I found guides on how to move a multisite I need advice of certain issues)

The questions I have are:

1. I was thinking, why move everything and not just move the wordpress part. I.e. I don't need all the blogs created (there are tons) I just need the main blog and wp install to develop and test plugins etc. Is it possible to just move the 'main' part of wordpress, develop it and test, and move back ONLY the main part into the live multisite install? (God I hope I was clear :slight_smile:

2. Any suggestions or advice I should take onboard before attempting said feat? It must happen on a weekly basis for developers. :slight_smile:

Thanks to all of you.

• aristath

Hello there Jeff,

Is it possible to just move the 'main' part of wordpress, develop it and test, and move back ONLY the main part into the live multisite install?

Yes, it is possible. BUT NOT ADVISED!!

All blogs in your database have a unique prefix.
    So if your main site has the tables with a prefix like wp_ then the tables of the site with ID=2 will have a prefix like wp_2_.
    To move the main site only, you'd have to copy the main site tables from the db.

My advise would be to simply download your entire database on your dev server and develop normally. This is something that will only have to be done once, so it's not a big deal.

You can then develop your code and upload it on your live server. You won't need to upload the database since all your changes should be in-code.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.