Minified files on CDN are showing that gzip is not enabled

Gtmetrix reports that gzip is not enabled on site - in details, it shows minified files that are stored on WPMU DEV CDN.

This was replicated during chat session by the staff member (they already reported that to developers).

• Amanda

Hello James,

I just ran a performance scan on my website https://uaehypnosis.com from the wpmudev dashboard. I got a score of 19 for server performance. Is this because of the GZip/minification issue? I am running PHP 7.0 fast CTI from Bluehost. Do I need to install any other cache plugins? Do you recommended I install a lazy load plug in for images?

Any help on how to speed up the site would be appreciated. I don't want to lose the google ranking I spent so much time working towards because of speed issues.

Thanks for your help.
      Best,
      Amanda

• James Morris

Hello Amanda,

Until our Dev Team can look into the GZip issue further, I've disabled using our CDN for hosting the minimized files. This has improved your stats somewhat.

However, the biggest performance impact I'm seeing on the site is the use of numerous plugins that are adding their JS files to the front-end. The problem you're running into is most are not minified, combined, relocated or deferred. Because of this, your stats on GTMetrix and Pingdom Tools are very poor for render-blocking resources.

The best suggestion I can offer in this situation is to work on combining, minifying, relocating and deferring as many of these resources as you can. Being extremely careful to test each resource, one at a time, until you've reached as much optimization as can be achieved given your setup. This is a bit of a tedious process; however, this will ensure you achieve maximum optimization while ensuring site functionality.

I apologize for the delay with the bug. Given the complex nature of bugs and the amount of work it takes to resolve them and test them, it can take a bit longer to resolve such issues. I hope my temporary workaround will suffice in this situation.

Thank you for your patience while we work through this issue for you.

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello Amanda,

The minifying issue is, from what I understand of the bug report, an issue with our CDN not reporting the minified files as GZipped. This is going to be worked on by our Dev Team as it is something that affects all members.

RE: Minifying, combining, relocating, deferring...

This has to be done in WP Admin -> Hummingbird -> Minification. The following (rough) video guide of configuring and testing these settings can be seen in the following video. Sorry, I'm not into video production, but I believe the following should give you a good, visual idea of what I'm referring to. :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5-lO9DOm8g

You may notices that the optimization percentage jumps around a lot. Don't be alarmed by this. It's normal. The general idea is to get as much minified, combined, relocated and deferred as possible for maximum performance. But, as in all optimization like this, test, test, test and test some more. :wink:

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello Amanda,

The following article explains in better detail about inlining small JavaScript. https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/service/InlineSmallResources

I'm afraid this isn't possible as the resources you are referring to are either plugin resources excluded from Hummingbird, or the minified Hummingbird versions of your JavaScript files. Inlining would actually require modifying the HTML of your site, which would not be advisable as it would take a tremendous amount of work and would be hard to maintain in the future.

Given what I'm seeing in your report, what you will want to do is work on combining your files and deferring them. These options are available in Hummingbird.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.