Minify breaking site

For some reason, my site is looking different. I am using Minify with Hummingbird and a page builder. The page builder is named WPBakery Visual Composer. Suggestions?

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Bryan

Welcome to WPMU DEV community!

You need to approach the minify options with caution. If the theme is not created based on WordPress standards, than it is most likely it will not function well.

You need to find in Hummingbird > Minification the WPBakery Visual Composer files and move the files position to footer, if this will not fix this – diactivate minification for these files

If you require assistance, please grant access from WPMU DEV > Support. See the detailed instructions on the link below:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Kind Regards,

Nastia

• Bryan
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Nastia,

I have already allowed access to my site for you guys as it is a bit too techy for me to sort out. I am guessing this will have to just be as it is and put up with the errors google pagespeed wants me to fix to improve my rating and speed.

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Bryan,

I hope you are doing well today!

Thank you for granting access. I have visited your site, and the Hummingbird was deactivated. In order to test it, I have activated it back.

Enabling minification did broke your site, however, I deactivated “Reduce size” option for Visual Composer’s JS files and it fixed the site.

I also moved every file to the footer, that should improve site loading speed.

Please re-check your site to make sure that everything is loading as it should be.

Let me know if you need any further assistance!

Cheers,

Nastia

• Bryan
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Nastia,

Thanks for trying but my site is still breaking in different areas mainly the Blog and videos areas and I do not like the way initial load up of the site goes with a flash of the pages menu down the left-hand side of the screen when flipping through different pages which I know can happen when you move files to footers, so I will be deactivating it soon. The page load did not affect google page speed insights at all and they still say 70 for mobile and 87 for desktop, although they are fine I am wondering if my CloudFlare CDN is a culprit in not allowing the increase. It is quite unusual to have 2 gurus on my site as I host with a very popular Greek WordPress professional which you may or may not have heard of. Makis Mourelatos the name. Let me know if a CDN can be the cause of problems or not.

• Bryan
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Actually, I have just cleared the cache and it has slowed mobile down to 67 and raised desktop to 91 but totally broke my mobile version view. So it will be deactivated and this could clarify my decision not to continue with the monthly service as I will not get enough benefit out of WPMUDEV to justify the price. A real shame.

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Brian.

I’m sorry to hear that.

As you apparently all ready know, the Google Insights need time, (like 20 min and more) to show the changes.

Before the minification your desktop performance was 88 so it is a positive thing that it increased to 91.

If you wish, and with your permission, I can have a look at the mobile version of your site and at the blog page to fix the mobile version of your site.

Please let me know your decision.

Kind Regards,

Nastia

• Bryan
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

By all means, do what you want as long as the site is not completely broken I don’t mind having a play with it. Do you understand what I meant by it loads the menu item as a flash on the left hand side just before the actual page loads.

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Bryan

I hope all is well!

Do you understand what I meant by it loads the menu item as a flash on the left hand side just before the actual page loads.

Yes, I do understand, however, with all Hummingbird option reset to normal this is continuing to happen. This is not an issue, as the HTML is loading first and after all the styles.

With the Hummingbird current minification settings, your theme is working properly on mobile devices and on desktop.

Please note, that not all files can't minified, it depends from the theme and plugins design.

To improve your score, you should resize your original images with WPM Smush Pro. Most of the original images are larger than 2000 px, when your larger thumbnail size is 1140px.

To resize your images navigtae to Media > WP Smush and activate "Resize original images " option, follow the instructions and set 1140px for width and 024px for height.

Let me know if you need any further assistance!

Kind Regards,

Nastia

• Bryan
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Did you misprint the image sizes.

To resize your images navigate to Media > WP Smush and activate “Resize original images ” option, follow the instructions and set 1140px for width and 024px for height.

It seems a little small to have height at 024px or is that correct.

I have now removed the youtube video and gift certificate and will place them on another page of the website. On speed tests this has made the site faster on pingdom and webpagetest checks sites.

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Bryan

My apologies for late reply.

When I was troubleshooting your site I was able to see the banner and the video at responsive view. Please tell me from what mobile device you are viewing your site?

Since the support access is expired, would you please grant access again to your site from WPMU DEV > Support so I can have a closer look?

To resize your images navigate to Media > WP Smush and activate "Resize original images " option, follow the instructions and set 1140px for width and 024px for height.

My apologies, it's meant to be 1024px. The Smush plugins is showing the correct image dimensions that images need to be resized to

Please advise,

Cheers,

Nastia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.