Minimum standard hosting for membership and multisites

Hi,

I am using membership, affiliate and marketpress plugins for 3 multisites (subdomain options)
*.domain1.com
*.domain2.com
*.domain3.com

I am using HostGator Baby Plan:
- Unlimited Domain
- Unlimited Disk Space
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Shared SSL Certificate
- 25% CPU Usage Limit

While setting up the plugins and multisites, the server was OK. I tested all the 3 multisites with 5 users each. The sites are all OK. When I woke up the next morning, all my sites are suspended due to over usage of CPU.

(1) Do the fresh 3 membership multisites really use a lot of CPU?

(2) What are the minimum requirements for membership plugin in multisites?

(3) Any suggestion for selecting a host?

Best regards,

Vi

• Wharrf

Hi Vi,

Honestly, I moved away from GoDaddy and HostGator even for a single install. The way they monitor CPU usage isnt transparent and they take your site down when its over used, causing massive damage to your business.

Your site will take up a lot of CPU usage in future when it gets more traction. I suggest that you look at Managed WordPress Hosting like WP Engine or my favorite, GetFlyWheel (Actually just Flywheel)

They are more expensive but peace of mind is worth it

• calvinrogercanas

Hello Vi,

Hope you're well today and thank for your question! :slight_smile:

On the type of site you are doing, the server need to have a better hardware. I suggest you take a look at this article: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/web-hosting-review-so-just-who-is-the-best/ . Hopefully it will help you decide who to choose.

Take care,
    Calvin

P.S: If you pick your potential hosting provider I suggest you contact them then ask if they can give what you need.

• Victor Rak

Finally, I've got a reply from my host during their busiest holiday.

PROBLEMS:
    Only with Membership plugin within multisites (3 fresh multisites with subdomain settings)

THESE 3 SCRIPTS IN ALL SITES:
    1. information_schema database
    2. upgrade.php
    3. newsstream.php

== start ==
    This issue occurred because the plugin scripts listed below were persistently making queries against the server's information_schema database on various page loads of your sites. This is a problem in a shared hosting environment because queries made against information_schema are required to traverse metadata relating to every database on the server, thereby taking a tremendous amount of time to complete their execution.

[root.... public_html]# find $(pwd)/*/wp-content -type f -name '*.php' -exec grep -il 'information_schema' {} \;

site 1...wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/upgrade.php

site 1 ...wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/addons/newsstream.php

site 2...wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/upgrade.php

site 2 ...wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/addons/newsstream.php

site 3...wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/upgrade.php

site 3 ...wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/addons/newsstream.php

== end =

*** Could anyone (developers) please advice how to use the membership plugin properly with multisites?

** My sites have been down (CPU usage) for 6 days due to the scripts.

Thanks in advance.

• calvinrogercanas

Hello Vi,

Could anyone (developers) please advice how to use the membership plugin properly with multisites?

You are using the plugin like other members but if you will continue using shared hosting plan for your site ( which have 3 subsite using membership, marketpress, and affiliate ) it will exceed the capacity of your server. Please also be aware that you not only these plugins keep running on your server.

These are the factors( not complete) that you might want to consider to select a good server:

1.) Do you plan to run multisite? If so, how many subsite?
    2.) What type of site are you creating? E-commerce or/and membership site ? Both are heavy duty site.
    3.) Amount of traffic you get daily.
    4.) Security ( irrelevant on your issue but this is a must )

Hope it helps! :slight_smile:

Take care,
    Calvin

• Victor Rak

Hello, Calvin.

Many thanks for getting back so promptly.

I am using 3 domains for 3 multisites (with subdomain or subdirectory)
    ie.

users.domain1.com
    users.domain2.com
    users.domain3.com

not domain1.com/users

All the 3 membership multisites are run on the same server.

All ecommerce and training sites.

I am now deleted two multisites and working only one multisite.

The next morning I will know if that still uses lots of CPU.

Yes, until then I will change the hosting plan.

Many thanks once again.

Happy holidays :slight_smile:

Vi

• Jack Kitterhing

Hiya @Vi,

Hope you're well today. :slight_smile:

It's worth noting that these so called "Unlimited" plans aren't truly unlimited, they have fair usage limits and can slow your site down to use less resources.

I would strongly recommend looking at another host. Such as Siteground with their specific WordPress plans or if you don't mind managing the server yourself, a VPS droplet with Digital Ocean would be a good choice. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.