Misleading errors

I recently started seeing the attached error warnings on my multisite's new user/site sign up, and have traced it down to this plugin. I'm not sure whether there's a chance that something else is conflicting with this plugin, but I can't think of anything that I've done that would have caused any issue here (no new plugins, and no changes to the theme in question on my primary site).

I have confirmed that the warnings aren't actually preventing the site from being created. I can't see anything wrong with the registration other than these warnings are misleading, and I know that they are causing people to exit the site after what would have been a successful conversion (registration), which now I have to try to salvage.

I loved this plugin, but it's no longer usable. I'd appreciate prompt support. Thanks.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there, which plugin are you referring to?

The error said failed to open stream. Usually this happens when either the files don't exist, are corrupt or the ownership/permissions are wrong on the files.

Please try uploading a fresh batch of the latest version of whichever plugin you refer to. Then also ensure they are own chowned correctly and that the permissions are also correctly set.

Take care.

• msk5400
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Oh sorry, I got here from the plugin page, so I thought the support was tagged as such.

It's the "Remove Email Verification" plugin. I had already Network Deactivated the plugin, deleted it, downloaded fresh, and re-uploaded the plugin, but the issue persists.

I haven't had any permissions issues. I upload via FTP, and have not had any issue with other plugins on the site.

Thanks in advance

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Your first error is looking for a folder /EMPTY/ so I wonder why that would be?

Would be worth

Can you clarify what you mean by "So all files are 644 and folders 755 for all of WP and plugins?"

Ah sorry, I presumed you knew as you mentioned you had not had permission issues.

Well basically on a server/hosting files and folders need to have certain permissions set. 777 is writable. 644 for reading access is usually used by files and 755 for folders unless they explicitly need something else. Ownership is just about if the account owns the file/folder.

There is some more information on permissions here:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions

Are you also using the Multisite Plugin Manager plugin?

Remove Email Verification

When you deactivate this plugin or remove it, does the error then go away?

Thanks.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Looks like part of your response was cut off ... "would be worth".. ?

Yeah not sure what happened there, I must have deleted that part by accident.

So with Remove Email Verification enabled and Multisite Plugin Manager disabled, does the error also go away?

I ask because I have see this error crop up a few times when that plugin is being used as well.

Thanks.

• msk5400

Yes, that was it. With Remove Email Verification enabled, and Multisite Plugin Manager disabled, the error messages do not appear. I also tested it with both enabled again, and the error messages do appear. Is there any ETA for a fix?

Thanks

• msk5400

Actually, it seems that just having Multisite Plugin Manager enabled causes the issue, regardless of whether Remove Email Verification is enabled. If Remove Email Verification is disabled, the error messages appear upon the user activating their account (after clicking the link in the email).

• Aaron
    • CTO

I highly doubt it's a problem with Multisite Plugin Manager, it doesn't do any file reads.

Most likely one of the plugins you have set to autoactivate is poorly coded/buggy. Multisite Plugin Manager just makes you see it at the point of blog creation when normally you would see it when activating the plugin on a blog.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.