Missing comments in widget

The 'Facebook Recent Comments' widget shows no comments. I have already imported Facebook comments into the database.

How can I fix this?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings danieldrake,

Welcome to WPMU DEV!

Sorry to see that you are having issues trying to work with the Ultimate Facebook plugin.

So lets dig in ....

What is the name of your theme?

Do you have the comments on your site enabled (screen shot below)?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings danieldrake,

Thank you for the links which are greatly appreciated in the attempt to figure this out.

What happens when you disable recent comments, do the Facebook comments start working?

Can we please have a screen shot of your Facebook API settings as shown in my screen shot below?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Daniel,

Thank you for the screen shot which clearly shows that you are indeed missing the App Domain plus you have it in sandbox mode.

This clearly will not work for a production environment therefore I suggest that you correct these two issues with Facebook and test again to see if this issue is now resolved or we need to dig in further.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Daniel,

Thank you again for the screen shot in this case the one in your last post.

It appears that you have the domain wrong - it is not supposed to be with the www according to Facebook instructions. It actually does not say no www but it indeed shows that just the TLD is used i.e. example.com and it indeed shows that by using the TLD example.com means *.example.com which in you case the above domains should reflect whydev.org and http://whydev.org respectively.

Please remove the www and we will continue to move forward towards resolving the issues reported within this ticket.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Daniel,

Thank you for your additional input and the screen shot which is greatly appreciated.

I cannot get this to work as I thought appropriate, but I think the missing ingredient is given in this statement from the Ultimate Facebook plugin instructions:

If checked, comments on your posts on Facebook will be periodically imported and merged with your regular comments.

So what this is telling me is that there must be comments made on Facebook related to a post in WordPress and I do not have any.

For clarification I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• danieldrake
    • Flash Drive

Joe,

Ok. Attached is a screenshot of our Facebook Comments settings.

Note that Facebook comments are being included in the comment count, (e.g. "3 comments so far" may reveal 2 regular comments and 1 Facebook comment.)

Our Facebook comments are not listed among the native comments. (I presume this to be by design.)

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

The "Facebook Recent Comments" widget will show comments on your articles that have been recently imported from Facebook by the Ultimate Facebook plugin. The thing is, the plugin can be configured to periodically import the comments from Facebook that were left on your timeline posts published by the plugin. The imported comments will be merged with your native WordPress comments and, from that point on, fully behave like native WP comments (with a little bit of extra info attached). Those are the comments that will be shown in the mentioned widget. Also, in order for this to work properly, you'll want to set the limit to a higher value.

• danieldrake
    • Flash Drive

First, let me correct a previous statement of mine:

Note that Facebook comments are being included in the comment count,

This is done by our current Theme; not by your plugin. My apologies for the miscommunication.

Based on your information, I now presume that any Facebook comments submitted by users to our blog posts via the plugin's "Facebook Comments" feature will NOT be "imported" and displayed as native comments. (I had previously been under the impression that this is precisely what the import fuction was for.)

However, based on your following comment:

[T]he plugin can be configured to periodically import the comments from Facebook that were left on your timeline posts published by the plugin.

I am now interpreting you to say that the "import" function only imports Facebook comments left on timeline updates generated by the plugin's "Autopost to Facebook" function. The fact that we are not using Autopost would therefore explain why no comments are being imported.

Am I correct so far?

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

Strictly speaking, the plugin doesn't absolutely require the Facebook post to be published via its auto-posting to be able to import the belonging comments properly. The plugin does require the Facebook post to have its link property pointing to an article on your blog, in a form of classic permalink, or a shortlink (default or Jetpack-generated wp.me) - the field is marked with red arrow in this example: http://i.imgur.com/OPwwc.png

That being said, I agree with your assessment that this is likely what's causing the comments not to be imported for you.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.